Mangini FIRED!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Dec 29, 2008.

1. ganggreengirl

ganggreengirl New Member

2. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

thank god. does this mean they alreayd have someone lined up.

3. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

Well I have to say Im excited about the head coaching opportunity but I am a little disapointed that it came down to this. I liked Mangini his first year but since then it has been a major disapointment and I give him credit for some win but in the end he could not get it done

Bye Bye Mangini

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Well, I am not surprised by the news. Yesterday was the Penn-ultimate Humiliation. It really could not have been much worse. We were 8-3 and in control of being something special; only to just fold like a house of cards. Probably, the worst Jets meltdown since I have been a Jets fan given where we were. I knew many days ago that would lose this game; I could see it. It was like the life-blood got sucked right out of the team. I am glad we got rid of Mangini (now Cangini); you just can't let what happened happen if you are a HC.

As far as replacements: I really do hope we get Cowher. I think he is the right guy for the job. Lets face it; coaching in NY has got to be one of the toughest things to do in the NFL. You have to be a very strong individual with complete focus to have a chance. Spagnolo I guess may not be too bad either, but Cowher is my first pick.

I even read in the Post today that Tuna has a clause in his contract that allows him to walk as a free-agent if The Dolphins owner sells the team. Well 95% of the team was sold ----- so. He could theoretically be in the picture. However, I really do not think you stop what you started in Miami at this point. It is just too soon unless your control is being tampered with. Parcells would never stand for that.

BTW, If I was Sutton, all my stuff would be in a box right now. It is now a forgone conclusion that Sutton will be history as well. Not completely sure about Schott. It depends on who is head coach and if they think a total house-cleaning is in order. It is not that I really think Schott is that bad; he could stay - maybe.

5. TorontoJETSfan

TorontoJETSfan New Member

i'm happy with this decision, I haven't really seen any type of Leadership since his rookie season. He couldn't get his team motivated to win "winable" games down the stretch and it cost him. He didn't have the balls to take Favre out when he was injured. Lets move on.

6. BigEvil

BigEvil Member

I could never make heads or tails of this guy. For a while, it was obvious that the Jets lacked talent in key areas. This year it became obvious that they lacked coaching.

I think Mangini would make an excellent scout or front office person, but he did not belong coaching in NY.

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Visual aides. Always helpful.

[​IMG]

8. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

why is everyone still bashing woody? are you people serious? first he was cheap, he spends 140 million on free agents. He isn't Snyder or jerry Jones meddling on football decisions, just acts as an owner. he tried like hell to get us our own stadium and when it didnt come through, still is getting the team a state of the art stadium with the best practice facilities in football. Follows the advice of his football guys and gets Favre and now after what went down, makes a quick, football decision to get rid of an ineffective coach, again a FOOTBALL decision that allows him to interview Spagnola this week since the Giants are on BYE...once they start playing he can't be interviewed. How is he a bad owner? Please tell me. Cause he wants to make money from his business? Are you people serious? We've got a tv network that we can follow the team, better fan experiences (cheerleaders, new training camp facilities etc.) wtf? Please give me a rational argument as to why he is a bad owner.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I completely disagree. Firing Tannenbaum is a huge mistake. Both Cowher and Parcells know and respect Tennenbaum and would be able to work with him. He doesn't make on-field decisions, he does the "grocery shopping" AFTER consulting with the head coach, which is definitely the way to go.

The coach helps pick the dream talent he wants, and Mike goes out and does the negotiating, which, in my opinion, is among the best oin the NFL.

10. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Bring back Parcells and let him pick the coach.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I once said that to a bad case of athlete's foot. That's basically all Don is.

12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Look, don't get me wrong. No one likes losing this includes big business men.
    Which is my point.
    It's not because he Cares, It's because he knows that a winning team will get him more in Sales, PSL's and interest.

If it wasn't for that, he really wouldn't give 2 shits. He wasn't so involved prior to the stadium.

We may benefit from this attitude because we may one day get a winner but in the end we will pay for it in the end.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They had better. None of this protracted coaching search. And no ROOKIES.

14. bowleggedwonder

I've never been to a Jets game where I heard cheers for the opposing team as loud as I did yesterday. Listening to "here we go Dolphins" was downright painful. Clearly, a lot of fans, smarter than I, bailed on their tickets and gave them to Pfins fans.

Woody had to hear that as well. Earlier, we had Joe Klecko saying the team had quit on Eric. Well, a change had to happen and Eric may even wind up as a head coach again and likely more successful for it.

But for now, right now, a change has to happen. And the idea of Parcells being on the market, that is like sweet music to my ears.

15. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

CYA LATER SUCKER DOn't LET THE DOOR SLAM YOUR CLUESSASS ON THE WAY OUT

16. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Dear Coach Mangini,
    Blame the QB all you want. Blame the special teams. Blame whatever. The fact is that this team was 8-3 after the titans and controlled their own destiny. Something burst after that game...whatever it was, that's what a HEAD coach has to be prepared to fix. You have assistants for everything, your only job is to focus the team and create it's personality/character. As a former college athlete I can tell you with absolute certainty that a team takes on the personality of it's coach. When we had an erratic, temperamental coach the team reflected it. When we had a disciplined coach who burned to win the team also reflected it. You have no personality, and no heart. Your team's demise was inevitable.

17. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Good chance of that. You usually don't make such a quick and decisive move unless you've got something in the frying pan.

Either way, you've got to give Woody credit for jumping on this. He's being decisive and demonstrating he's not happy with 9 wins, which is more than a lot of owners in the league do most of the time.

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Exactly. Add the fact that they had a fairly strong rushing attack that could have won some games, and totally ignored it, and you have all the ingredients for unemployment.

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I guess this confirms that JetsLookingforDWare isn't Woody Johnson.

You fought the good fight my friend and the fight added to the discussion around here.

20. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Hooooooooly Sh*t