Malik Hooker - Free Safety - OSU

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 101GangGreen101, Nov 28, 2016.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I personally wouldn't but this injury could drop his stock several picks down. He's still the best FS prospect seen since Earl Thomas in my opinion. That would be cool to trade down and get him, but tough to say how far he drops. At most he drops around 12 to the Browns.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

YIKES! I think this will definitely affect his draft stock. If he's out 4-6 months, then he will miss the Combine, all of the minicamps, and OTAs, and could miss all of TC and the preseason games. He may not fall out of the top 15, but I will be shocked if he is still a top 5 pick. I think this will also hurt the Jets. Any player that they liked that might have dropped, now quite possibly won't. Typical Jets luck! I swear I think this franchise is cursed. If Joe Willie Namath didn't sell his soul for the Jets to win the SB, someone in the Jets organization did, or something has happened to make this franchise so star-crossed and snake bit.

Matty Jets likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

Yeah he could drop a couple of picks after really thinking about it. He could still go in the top 10. Teams will closely need to monitor his recovery, if there's anything ugly in that medical report he will drop a lot farther. The game tape never changes though, if teams think he can get back to 100%, I wouldn't be surprised to see him still go in the top 10.

Browns @ 12; Ravens @ 16 are the farthest I see him dropping. This could push up a lot of other prospects on the draft board. Taking Hooker @ 6 is kind of risky, if the Medical reports are absolutely clear he should be ready for TC.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's a great prospect and has that game tape that will help, but if he basically loses at least half and maybe even the entire upcoming season (which I would think he would because after missing all of the camps, having to rehab and I would think not being able to do much cardio or conditioning work for 6 months or so), I think he will drop. I agree that what the medical report says will be key. It's going to take him some time to get healthy, then he still needs to learn the defensive system, get some reps, and get used to the speed and more physical nature of the NFL. He might be able and ready to play by mid-season, but I don't think he could come back much before that.

Then again, it didn't hurt Gurley too much 2 years ago, so maybe Hooker won't drop much at all.

5. 101GangGreen101

I think he could play by mid-season definitely. To me it's worth the risk cause once he gets on that field, those 20+ yard plays, the Jets D won't be seeing those as much. What's more impressive is he played with the injury and was still great at what he does. If the doctors told me he'll have a 100% recovery, I'll still take him at 6. But I would need that promise from a doctor.

A team like the Chargers will still take him in my opinion, a lot of teams needing safeties.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Looks like as decent a choice as any.

With that said I am a bit leery about players from OSU or Alabama as they are surrounded by other great players and may not have to do as much as a player that has less help.

If every starter from the OSU secondary is a first round talent, how did they lose any games last year?

7. 101GangGreen101

The OSU offense is AWFUL. Go back and watch the OSU - Clemson game. OSU's D kept them in the game. Hooker had a fantastic INT from Watson. You have to pick and choose your players, that's why I am not all that interested in Marshon Lattimore

James Hasty likes this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

OSU took a step backwards on offense last year. OL wasn't all that dominate. QB play wasn't good or consistent really with Barret. Lack of a true deep threat hurt the team too. Losing Zeke was felt in the playoffs too.

That defense has some scary good players on their team though. Even after this year, a lot of exciting players looking towards the future.

James Hasty likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I sure wouldn't use a #6 pick on a guy who MIGHT or MIGHT NOT recover 100%, and especially if he wouldn't even be able to play in live action until mid-season. I know some of you are sky high on him, but I think you're blinded by what he's DONE, not what he will be able to do after this. It's a shame, but that's part of sports unfortunately. If he fell to the 3rd round, I'd definitely consider him at that point, but someone will take him before then.

10. James Hasty

The injury should cause him to drop.

I wasn't so excited about taking him at six overall but if he slides he could be a great pick.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You are also very biased and don't want any defensive player at the top of this draft for whatever reason.

I am ok with several names at 6 but only a few names I think are worthy at that spot on the offensive side of the ball.

Hooker will not fall anywhere close to the third round if this is all that he is dealing with. He will be ready to go by the start of the season and won't miss any time for real time game action.

This isn't a serious injury like the Jaylon Smith injury that literally kept him out of a full season of football and there is no sure thing that knee will ever be the same again. He still got drafted in the second round.

Hooker will be just fine if he clears the medical in terms of being on page to be be healthy by the start of the season. I highly doubt he falls outside of the top 10.

He really is that good when healthy. No joke.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Wich offensive players are worth the #6th pick ? the receiver who runs 4.6 ? this draft is all about defense at the top. Either you take Fournette or defense. any other pick is a reach on the offensive side of the ball.

13. 101GangGreen101

This injury isn't career threatening by any means. The best way to evaluate a prospect is to look at the tape. The tape never changes and it shows the player in every condition, so we are seeing what he can do and what he can improve on going forward. The fact that he played with those injuries really show you how tough he is.

This guy isn't falling to the 3rd round, that is outrageous and incorrect. He's a top 10 pick and one of the better safety prospects to come along in a long time. The injury at best will drop him to the Ravens at 16.

14. 101GangGreen101

Some of these Jet fans want to reach for meh prospects and ignore the BPA / need philosophy. This is the for sake of drafting offense. It's amazing he was great when he was hurt! By mid-season at the LATEST, I would expect him to be completely in game shape post injury.

15. 101GangGreen101

He's a great pick in the first period. Trading down and playing the value game isn't always the best way to go about things. Stand pat and take the BPA / with % of need. This guy along with Leonard Williams and the upcoming Darron Lee will help transform this defense. Jets can go offense next round.

16. ColoradoContrails

The "reason" is because the offense sucks, and the Jets need to upgrade it to be able to put consistent pressure on the other team. You can have the greatest defense in the world, but if you don't score points, and you allow the "D" to be on the field so much, they're going to break down.

And another "reason" is because there a couple of real difference makers on "O" in this draft, but it isn't loaded with them, so if you want one or two, you need to do your "shopping" early.

And another "reason" is because the Jets need a FQB, and there are a couple who might just be that: Watson and Mahomes IMO.

But, if you're really too uncertain about that, taking Fournette, Cook, or Howard would make a bigger impact on "O" than anyone you take on "D". And I make that statement, not because I'm biased against defense, or don't value those positions, but it's relative to their current situation. Their defense, despite holes, is still way better than their offense, and of course it should be given the "D"-centric drafting they've done for years. And if they do go into this season with a "?" at QB, they're going to need to take the load off that QB with an elite RB, or at least an elite TE like Howard.There are a number of defensive players that can be had in later rounds that can upgrade the defense significantly. Will they transform it into the best defense in the NFL? No, of course not, but they will be well above average and that will be major progress.

I'm sure I didn't sway your position, but that's what discussion boards are about - exchanging different POV.

17. James Hasty

To be fair our defense sucks almost as bad as our offense so a balanced approach to free agency and the draft would be a wise approach.

Also, I believe that there are two or three elite prospects in this draft (Miles Garret, Jonathan Allen, and possibly one of the quarterbacks). followed by a second tier about 17-20 players deep). Perhaps with more scrutiny the second tier could be split into the top 7-8 and the rest but this early in the process before the combine one could argue that the fifteenth rated prospect could be every bit as good or better than the seventh rated prospect.

Hooker might be a great player but if we commit to taking the best available player and do not concern ourselves with position (aside from 3-4 DE, K, P, etc.) I think the Titans second pick at 18 is could be the sweet spot in this draft where get the best possible value with our pick.

Looking at the list below, in a draft this deep I would rather to trade down to pick up an extra player in the third tier and settle for a guy in tier 2B instead of staying put and settling for only one player (Hooker, etc. in tier 2A). With the talent available and the holes we have to fill trading down looks like a very attractive option.

Tier 1 - Guys who will be gone at # 6

Miles Garret OLB / DE
    Mitch Trubisky QB
    Jonanthan Allen DT / DE

Tier 2A - Guys that should also go in the top 10 (may not be there at 6)

Leonard Fornett RB
    Malik Hooker S
    Miles Adams S
    Dalvin Cook RB
    DeShaun Watson QB
    Mike Williams WR
    Reuben Foster ILB

Tier 2B - Players that might be there at 18 who would greatly improve our team:
    Solmon Thomas OLB / DE
    Corey Davis WR
    Marshon Lattimore CB
    Teez Tabor CB
    Marlon Humphrey CB
    Derek Barnett OLB / DE
    OJ Howard TE
    Jabrill Peppers S
    Malik McDowell DT
    John Ross WR
    Cam Robinson OT

Tier 3 - Players that could move up into top 20 that could also help our team
    Zach Cunningham ILB
    Ryan Ramcyzk OT
    Garrett Bowles OT
    Quincy Wilson CB
    Raekwon McMillian ILB
    Taco Charlton OLB
    Sidney Jones CB
    Takkarist McKinley OLB
    Charles Harris OLB
    Dan Feeney OG
    Tre’Davious White CB
    Forrest Lamp OG
    Christian McCaffrey RB
    Tim Williams OLB
    David Njoku TE

BomberJet likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

There is some logic behind what you suggest, but the problem I have with trading down when your team needs so many difference makers is that you give up control of your destiny. Certainly the players you list will make an improvement to the team, but will they be true difference-makers, players who by themselves transform a unit? At #6 you're almost guaranteed such a player, but if you drop down, you're rolling the dice, and we've all seen how "well" the Jets play craps.If they drafted Watson or Mahomes at #6 - and I don't think Macc will do that - and they pan out, they transform the entire team into contenders. What other player/position can you say that of? That's why, in their situation, they have to take this chance. But failing that, they must get a difference-maker. For me, that means a guy like Fournette, Cook, or Howard, but for others it means Hooker, Adams, or the best edge rusher available. You MIGHT get someone like this at #18, but you might not, and how much will you have gotten in return - what will you get for those extra lower round picks? For the Jets I don't think its worth it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

See here's the incorrect assessment, we ARE concerning ourselves with position. For example, if you trade down and take a Peppers when Hooker or Adams was available OTC at 6, that is not getting good value. You are getting a player that is not even close to the level of talent of one of the top safeties.

That's when getting "value" burns you in the ass. Same concept for EDGE rusher, not corner because it's deep and same with TE. Linebacker absolutely, you cannot trade down cause Foster is head and above the best available inside linebacker.

80% BPA
    20% Need

20. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I think the best scenario , for me anyway, would be for the Jets to stay where they're at at 6 and find a way to deal for an extra pick in the 2nd round. Doing a deal with Richardson and some picks to move up from 3rd or 4th round doesn't sound too unrealistic.

101GangGreen101 and IIMeanDeanII like this.