Malik Hooker - Free Safety - OSU

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 101GangGreen101, Nov 28, 2016.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

6'2, 205 Free Safety. This guy was all over the field against Michigan. This guy might be the ultimate Free Safety. Excellent Range, and ball-skills. This guy as well, I like more then Peppers hands down.

Thoughts on him going to us @ #5? He's getting comparisons to the next Ed Reed

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...es-ed-reed-as-good-comp-for-ohio-state-safety

I think this is my guy @ 5. No good lineman at the top, could take a corner, but safety would be more of an impact player.

BTW, he can continue to wear 24. Maybe he can cleanse that number as Revis will get cut.

Nesquik likes this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Mike Miglinkey OL Notre Dame and Cam Robinson OL Alabama, they are slowly solidifying their spot at the top of the draft board, I would look at those 2 guys, CB, OLB before a free safety at the number 5 spot.

#2 Red Menace, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

We do need OL badly and I would go with Cam Robinson - I watch all the Bama games and he's a very good player, under-rated by many, but you can tell instantly when he's not there.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

I like Ramczyk from Wisconsin. Looking forward to seeing how he plays against Penn State. However, I don't think any of the lineman will go in the top 10 let alone the top 5. In a trade-down I would love to take one of these lineman and Ramczyk could be a 2nd round pick. I have a lot of question marks about Cam Robinson right now. Is he a true LT at the next level? He did good against Myles Garrett, but struggled in pass protection for most of the yr.

Been a lot of lineman busts at the top in recent years. I really like the FS because Gilchrist has been communicating plays, we absolutely need to shore the offensive line. Going to be a tough draft.

Jonathan_Vilma and Red Menace like this.
  5. Red Menace

He might be the only one there for the jets to draft, there are some rumors about the Notre dame OL going back for his senior year. Too early to tell but if he is assured of being a top 5 pick I think he will come out.

I also believe many teams will be copying the Cowboys blueprint and start reaching for OL help in this years draft. JMO

6. Red Menace

You almost can't go wrong selecting an OL from Wisconsin, it's seems they have a factory that produces OL in that state. I'll do some research on him as I have only heard about him briefly. I didn't watch as much college football as I normally do so I'm a little behind on most players.

Regarding Cam, he lost some weight which contributed to his improvement, but supposedly still struggles with lower body flexibility. These are just preliminary reports, by the time the draft comes around, I'm sure he will be a top ten pick.

ajax and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

It'll be interesting to see how he does during the draft. His stock will go up if he can display good flexibility. That was really one of the things people didn't like about Cam. He still has high upside and could be a great RT to start his career, then move to left. He would be a road-grader at RT. Hopefully he finishes the season strong, so we have more options.

It's nearly impossible to keep up with these prospects lol, some come on too late, too early, etc ... here is a video of Ramczyk ... he's inexperienced and I think that is why not a lot of people have heard about him.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/ryan-ramczyk-vs-ohio-state-2016/

Kid has LONG arms and he's really strong. Quick with his feet too.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Red Menace

He'll probably move up as well, held his own against a stout OS defense, looks like he can block down on the inside defenseman in the counter as well. Does not look stiff, or off balance.

Nice job!

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

<<<<<<----------- Peep the avi, He's my first round pick in my mock that i WAS working on but I just saw a report that he's 100 percent sure he's coming back for his senior season. Real bummer but hopefully he changes his mind because i can't think of anyone else i want more at our pick and he already is getting top 10 hype. I think he changes his mind if OU wins the final.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ooker-intends-to-return-to-ohio-state-in-2017

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

DAMNIT! Hopefully he changes his mind, because he would be a great fit at FS. No other really good true free safeties at the top IMO

Nesquik likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm normally against taking safeties high unless they have Sean Taylor(RIP) type of upside. It feels like a lot of the better free safeties are mid round picks. Especially if we insert them into a bend but don't break type of system like New England does with McCourty.

With that being said Hooker was all over the damn field against Michigan and looked like a real playmaker.

Cornerback is so damn hard in the NFL I'd rather hedge my bet with a playmaking safety honestly.

101GangGreen101 and Nesquik like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

A safety with a top 5 pick? Hooker better be damn good. We already wasted one 1st round pick on a safety

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I see all Ohio State Games, Hooker is a good player, but not a top 10 quality player in this draft. Hooker will clearly not be the BPA when the Jets are OTC in April.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. Robinson isn't underrated , if anything he's overrated. I've watched plenty of his games and Robinson is on the ground too often and isn't effective with his hands.

15. 101GangGreen101

Apparently he's going back to school anyway, but it's hard to find a good free Safety that can roam the field the way he does. A lot of good defensive backs in this draft, so I wouldn't be surprised if we take 1 in round 1

16. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I agree, probably a CB like Humphrey, Adoree' Jackson or Sidney Jones. Even if Hooker declares, the Top 10 is too rich for him. IMO, a mid Rd 1 pick at best.

17. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I think Robinson is going to end up being a RT in the NFL. He reminds me a lot of Andre Smith when he came out of Alabama.

18. 101GangGreen101

What about Jamal Adams? Where does he rank in your DBs?

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I only saw one LSU game this year and he looked real solid playing against Alabama. Adams shut down the TE, Howard, who I believe is going to be an outstanding pro.

Adams could be a borderline top ten player, I think the Jets would go in different direction than Safety in Rd 1, especially since we might be drafting in the top 5.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Adoree' Jackson would be an interesting one. A coach can teach technique but they can't teach closing speed. That kid certainly has closing speed. Even if he loses concentration or gets beat by polished recievers (and he will his rookie year at the very least) I think his speed will bail him out of many mistakes. He would also have an immediate impact as a returner.