Making a Splash in Free Agency

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Feb 19, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don't know if it's the foresight they lack or the job security.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I hope you are right and they don't go after Romo or Cutler. Hoyer, McCown would be good competition for Hack / Petty. To be honest, I don't care about wins, I just want to see Mac draft some impact players and for Bowles to coach them up and to become a better overall head coach. If Hack doesn't show anything, hopefully the team record wise is bad, then Woody can make the decision on the FO / CS. If you blow it up, you get a new regime with potentially a blue chip prospect QB. Be on the lookout for Josh Allen as well, I'll be watching a lot of Wyoming next year. I can see why many like Fournette and Cook too, it would be a good pick for the future and I am slowly starting to be OK with the possibility of Fournette in a Jets uni

Jets_Grinch and JetsNation06 like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Job security. Apparently Woody has a no playoff requirement this season, let's see if he lives by that if the Jets go 4-12 or something.

FJF likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We should just mail it in for 2017

Prevent so many injuries and concussions that way

Without any playcalling Bowles will look smart

Will be our best shape in 15 years ...

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We should, but we won't. Bowles and Macc will try to be "competitive", whatever that means, and for their efforts will cost us a primo draft position...sort of like this year. They had the chance to "mail it in" in an acceptable fashion by playing Petty, or even Hack sooner, but Bowles stuck with "The guy who gives us the best chance to win". Apparently he's never heard the expression, "Win the battles; lose the war".:mad:

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes

He is pure unadulterated douch

I am not watching this team anymore if they don't get a starting QB in the "18 draft

7. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I wouldn't be against breaking the bank for Ingram. We definitely have other needs but he is a young stud not an old 1 or 2 year band aid. They don't hit the market very often. We have more cuts to make and the cap is going way up this year.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's 28 in April. He's a 1 or 2 year fill.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think that Mac would hurt the development of Petty and Hack if they sign a journey man, TB has an affinity for veterans and I believe he will start the journeyman just like he did with Fitzpatrick, even though he was playing at a subpar level.

10. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is what I said all summer, but I was lambasted with comments such as "The GM knows more than you." Multiple outlets are reporting that the Jets will be looking for yet another bridge QB. How can you even justify taking a Quarterback with a top 50 pick, and then sit that quarterback for two years when the options ahead of him on the depth chart are subpar Quarterbacks? The Hackenberg pick wasn't a calculated pick... it was just flat out reckless. They took a QB with a top 50 pick, and then really decided to carry four Quarterbacks, preventing their QBOTF from even getting practice reps. To make matters worse, they then fired the offensive coordinator and QB coach!

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have thin skin? You're the one getting your panties in a wad because I said I thought your opinion is silly. I could care less if you think I'm arrogant or an ass or whatever.

12. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Yes exactly, you are actually making my point better than me!

Over the years, myself and many people in New England could not understand why Belichick would trade down in the draft all the time for example. You would be listening to the draft all excited about the Pats pick and when it finally showed up, Bill would trade down or for another pick in an other year. As a fan you would sort of be bummed out. Year after year he would let what was considered valuable players get away in free agency. We would see him pass all the time on highly rated free agents in the market.

I am not the brightest light bulb, but the I finally saw the light on what he was doing. Now when he goes after a player like Michael Floyd that nobody would touch, it makes perfect sense. When he traded arguably his two best defenders before free agency (Collins and Jones), again this now makes perfect sense to me. He is treating players like stocks, buy low sell high.

Ok, then why are not all the more intelligent football people than me in the NFL not doing this? I think the problem for them is the media and the owners. They want instant success and they don't want to hear that your team has no big name players. When coaches and GMs are so worried about being fired for not producing right away, it seems this situation ends up being their own demise.

My question to you folks is this, would you, the media, and your owner have the patience to deal with someone similar to Belichick that will trade down in the draft or trade for another year, not sign big ticket free agents, and let anyone who wants big bucks on the team to go by by?

Oddly enough the media in Boston still complains about Belichick's management of players. They claim he is a cheapskate and their always pissed when he ruins a draft show.

13. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I know this sounds weird, even though I am a Pats fan, I am a fan of the Jets also. Maybe not as much as a Pats fan, but still a fan anyway.

The Pats were once in the true bottom of NFL franchises in the NFL and I was still a fan back then. Maybe this is why I respect people like you that are still supporting the Jets during the darkest hours. I would love to see very close competitive games again between the Jets and the Pats.

Hopefully 2017 will be better for the Jets.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Long-term Jets fans *like* the dark trenches the team falls into periodically. That's the only thing that explains the steadfast fanbase after multiple collapses over the years.

When a really good year happens it's really good because they're so few and far between. When a really bad year happens most of us keep half on eye on the games and sleep through the fourth quarter on the couch. Most years we're never quite in it but we're also not completely out until the end and so every game matters - and then they kill Kenny again in end.

I think the Jets management just doesn't understand what the effect of putting a coherent organizational rebuild in place would do for the franchise. The process has only been done twice in franchise history, in the early to mid 60's and in the late 70's. It's been nearly 40 years since anybody pulled off a classic young player based rebuild for the Jets.

There was an attempt to start one in the early 90's but Dennis Byrd and Rich Kotite were the bookends on that attempt and Parcells came in and uprooted the rebuild with a bunch of free agent vets and we've been stuck in that never-ending loop since.

The process of building a team has been patented by a few organizations in the NFL and they rule the roost. They each have their own patterns but all of them involve heavily leveraging the draft, finding a QB and mostly ignoring free agency except as a source of comp picks to feed the draft.

Patriot and ColoradoContrails like this.