Making a Splash in Free Agency

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Feb 19, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Arrogance much?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

Wether or not we can develop talent, the draft is a crap shoot. IF we can negotiate a fair deal with a vet that has proven some level of worth in the league and can contribute over the course of the next 5 years, I'd be more than happy with them pulling the trigger. I'm certainly part of the build through the draft camp, but I do view the FA market as insurance against the uncertainty of the draft.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

Understand that I'm not blaming Hackenberg. In fact, I'm not trying to blame anyone, except to question why a GM would draft a QB with his 2nd overall pick and then essentially "redshirt" him. Given the lack of overall talent the Jets had even last year, it seems like a luxury pick so far. Now, if Macc was right in his assessment, and Hack becomes the FQB, I'll applaud his foresight and uncanny expertise, but at this point, I think it was a bad decision. And of course I have the benefit of hindsight which helps. Still, I would expect a professional who has all the data in the world at his fingertips to make good decisions, even when he has to use some guesswork.

The best justification I can come up with in Macc's defense is that he believed there was more talent on this team, and thus he had the luxury of grabbing Hack as a "redshirt" project. That over-estimation of the talent he had doesn't make me feel very confident in him either.

In any case, I actually hope Hack rises up to the level Macc thought he could achieve, but he'd better start showing it NOW, or the team needs to let him go, hopefully in return for a draft pick or two.

Pags2112 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You can't even read, much less reason. I didn't say it would "ruin" him, just that he wouldn't change, wouldn't make any progress, but it would over time ruin him, because his confidence would be destroyed.

I love how you can have such strong opinions that are based on absolutely nothing, no facts, no first-hand knowledge, and/or no experience. You're typical of so many people today. You have no knowledge or experience in an area, yet you think you know more than someone who does have knowledge and experience in that area. Totally laughable. Enjoy your ignorance.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If it's arrogance, it's because I know what I'm talking about. He doesn't. His opinion is based on absolutely nothing. He's pulling it out of his ass. I work with people to change their body mechanics. I worked to change my own. I've studied it. I know what I'm talking about. If you want to think I'm arrogant because of that, fine have at it.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I have no problems with that if there was an Elway or Manning coming out of the draft.

#226 Red Menace, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  7. ColoradoContrails

No, I think you're arrogant because you label posts as "silly", or "stupid", etc. If you have exceptional knowledge about an area, that's great, but you don't need to trash other people's comments to justify your own...it doesn't make you more likely to win converts.

Can you accept that we all have areas of expertise, or at least significant experience from which we draw? Some certainly have more than others, and that's why I came here - to learn from those people. But when my comment is labeled as "silly", and as you put it "...based on absolutely nothing", I'm going to object. Go back and re-read your reply to my post saying that Macc was "silly" (your original word choice) for burning his 2nd overall pick on such a big project when he had other, more pressing needs. That's my opinion, which I did support by my reasoning, which included the fact that Hackenberg hasn't yet shown anyone anything of the supposed 2nd round talent Macc saw. If you have other evidence showing Hack's abilities, then please share.

I suggest you take a step back an apply some ointment to that thin skin you have.

NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

There is no one labeled in that category, but IMO, Mahomes and/or Watson fit the bill.

9. Red Menace

You have me leaning towards Mahomes and it was really because of what Shannahan said in an article, in particular what intangibles to look for.

Mahomes has been incredibly consistent, not a streaky QB, but in particular his instinct to look downfield after the play has broken down. He does not look to run, he looks to pass first, Shanahan said those thing can't simply be taught, a guy either instinctively does it or he resorts to what he does best.

Some QBs just run, Watson, Kizer, Trubinski, all have a lot of rushing yards, Mahomes does not, even though he plays in a spread offense.

Still not sure of the 6th pick.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. This just boils down to impatience..and the fact that some of you simply cannot get over taking a developmental guy w. the 2nd pick.Either you feel that QB is a large enough hole on this roster to warrant taking a developmental player w. high upside in the 2nd round...or you don't. Me? I really don't care how many picks it takes..where the picks are located...or what the path of the development is..just fix what's broken & solve the riddle.It's not like we make good 2nd round picks otherwise.

I think it's a philisophical thing..and we all sort of pick a side. The 2 sides are never gonna agree.

What I will argue is that there are plenty of things for Hack to work on & absorb about being a QB & a pro w.o getting a large number of reps year 1. QB is a totally different animal than any other position. There are so many intricate things to take note of including correct personnel in huddle, hot reads/audibles/check downs, clock management, situational,etc. That's not to say that "Throw him into the fire" is wrong...just that the position is much more involved & demanding than basically any other position on the field...and that there are many different schools of thought on how to develop a guy."Throw him into the fire" didn't really work for us w. Sanchez or Geno...maybe this works better. He'll work on the mechanics this offseason & we'll see where he's at.

TwoHeadedMonster and Red Menace like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

I think Shanahan is absolutely correct, and given his work with QBs, I think his comments have to be listened to. And I think that's why so many of the "spread-type" or scrambling QBs like Cam Newton, et. al. eventually fall back to earth, because even great scramblers can't outrun all the fast athletes today's defenses have. In college they can, but at the pro level not so much. But by the time they get to the pros, they've deeply learned to use their feet more than their head, and it's almost impossible to unlearn that. And yes, this is why I lean towards Mahomes. With Watson, form what I've seen he does hang in there, and only runs as a last resort, so I think he could adapt in the pros.

12. Red Menace

I don't have a problem with throwing him into the fire, Dak Prescott was thrown into the fire, but he was not asked to throw the ball 45 times a game and carry the team.

They simply asked him to hand the ball off to Ezekiel for the first 7 games of the season and slowly integrated him into the offense.

Hack did not have a team around him that could support him being thrown into the fire, Gailey would have asked him to throw the ball 40 times a game immediately.

I honestly want to see Hack behind center with a balanced team, some conservative play calling until he gets comfortable and then take the training wheels off and ask him to play QB and throw the deep ball to Anderson for 50 yard TDs.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No I perfectly understand your awful point of view. Do we really have to go back and look at all of the things you said when Hackenberg got drafted? The bold makes absolutely 0 sense, he's either going to get ruined by the reps or he's not. This is black and white. If anything not getting any reps in practice over a potential 2 year period ruins a QBs confidence, because it's clear the CS has no faith in him developing. First thing you do is you change the mechanics, right away you change them. You give him reps on the sideline and you give him reps on the practice field. You continue to increase the load. The QB isn't a moron. Oh btw.

Stop embarrassing yourself. You just said here that he would be ruined. No one said he would actually play in a meaningful game.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

I mean I am past the point in terms of questioning the 'why they drafted Hackenberg' or the draft position. It's time to see if it can work. Correct personnel in huddle, hot reads/audibles/check downs, clock management, situational,etc all of that could have been taught during the live rep periods. Talk and work with Mangold on the protections. You get notes on what the player is doing, you are learning the position. You don't have to give him every single rep, but give him meaningful ones. I am not impatient, but I am worried that they stunt his growth. Year 1 to year 2 are absolutely essential for a QB.

They aren't throwing him into the fire, they are getting him up to speed. Hacks no dummy and the Jets could've been farther along with his development. He was babied cause we had 2 garage QBs on the roster taking up all of the reps. Those reps did absolutely nothing for the 2016 NY Jets and probably the 2017 Jets while we are at it.

#234 101GangGreen101, Feb 24, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

Praise MR. HIGH AND MIGHTY! Look at you, you are acting pathetic. The same guy that had posters questioning you if you even watched the games.

FJF likes this.
  16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Well if that's the case then I'm excited to see what he's got in TC. Give him a fair look and if he shows some big improvement then great. But if not, I think we need to move on from him rather quickly given his red flags and history.

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we call that david carr syndrome.
    he could have been a great QB had he had any help around him

18. 101GangGreen101

we won't see if the Jets sign a Cutler, then you got another season / off-season of asking ohhh is Hack ready etc etc etc. Then you'll have fans wondering why we didn't draft one this year. It's the circle of BS

19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I partially agree that I believe he felt good about the 10 win season and "over" evaluated the talent. But then 2016 hit and just about everyone who played lights out in 15 played terrible in 16. I

#239 SOJAZ, Feb 24, 2017
  20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

No doubt it's a never ending circle jerk with this franchise. However I'm being serious and it can be done. Although with Mac and Bowles at the helm you may be right that they don't have the foresight to handle it this way.

That said, I would not and I don't think the Jets are going to go after a Romo or Cutler. I think they go after another journeyman to compete (maybe a Hoyer or Foles or someone else, don't have all the names in front of me).

I firmly believe the best this team could finish next year would be 7 wins. Absolute best. F that. I want them to win 2 or 3 games because I firmly believe they can grab their franchise QB in the 2018 draft. 2018 is a very good year for QB's coming out, assuming Darnold, Jackson and Rosen all leave early.

I want an an offense in 2018 with Darnold at QB and Fournette or Cook at RB. It can be done and we would have a dynamic offense for a decade.

NYJetsO12 likes this.