Making a Splash in Free Agency

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Feb 19, 2017.

1. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

According to Bleacher Report, we are supposedly looking to make a run a big name CB's once free agency is underway...... nice to see we are still refusing to draft and develop talent lol

Jeremy2020 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  2. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

I would only want Bouye or Trumaine, leaning more towards Trumaine

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Jets have tried to develop talent. Hasn't exactly worked. I'm totally not against bringing in a corner, but the market is going to be sky high for the corners...

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's always the kids who make the biggest splashes in the pool. The adults just get about the business of swimming and socializing and generally enjoying life around the pool.

The little ones make big splashes and do the "Look what I can do!" Stewie routine year after year and that's why they have no control of events. They're always focused on today, today, today because that's what kids do.

#4 Br4d, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  5. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Since we're not competing for the division title in the foreseeable future, I'd rather sign a second tier corner along with a few other second tier FAs. and draft Best Player Available regardless of position.

Picking as high as we do we should be able to add 3 day 1 starters. Maybe a safety, CB , LT , maybe even a center
    Can't wait for April 27

Footballgod214 and FJF like this.
  6. Br4d

I'd rather sign no free agents at all this year. Work out the cheapest possible deals with some of our young players, like Quincy Enunwa and Ben Ijalana. Invite a wide selection of UDFA's in, with less established starters in house as a carrot to get them to preferentially sign with the Jets this year.

We're not going to compete for the playoffs this year, nor should we be trying to do that. It would be a scrape in with no chance to win effort if we did compete and it would leave us even weaker headed into 2018.

We should be looking at a wide range of young players this year and saving the free agent acquisitions for the year we're ready to really compete with a solid base in place and just a few holes needing filling for the year. A 28 year old free agent is a 2 year investment before his likely expiration date and with 2017 being a lost cause we'd be better suited not to waste a an expensive year this year.

7. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Ya after we cut Revis we will turn around and resign him for bigger money, that's the genius of thus organization, 60% of the time, it works everytime.

8. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

The Jets suck at developing talent. Mac is a complete idiot when it comes to the draft. FA shouldn't be any different for Mac. He'll fuck the whole thing up and the Jets will go 2-14 this season.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The only FA I would look to sign is a LT if one becomes available, other than that I would not invest big money in a CB position that will not put the team over the top.

10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

The best CB we have developed in the last two decades was Revis. I'm fine with signing a CB. I like Trumaine

11. Br4d

The only LT that would be worth signing is the type that never hits the free agent marketplace: a 25 or 26 year old star worth paying top dollar. Instead what are available are 27 and 28 year old journeymen who will get paid twice what they're worth as a floor and will get beat often enough to make the bleeding happen on the field as well as the balance sheet. That's why they're available.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not the greatest post.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with this 1000%.
    However, reinvesting Revis's wasted salary after we cut him to shore up deficiencies for the longer term to supplement the draft is not a bad strategy. It doesn't have to be a mega star, just a solid contributor once we rid ourselves of the dead wood. We don't need a big splash in free agency, we need to purge our non contributors and go from there.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. Red Menace

Honestly, I don't think we have to worry about it, no FA worth their salt is signing with the jets. Revis signed with them because the Jets bid against themselves and gave him money no one else would.

I think Mac has learned his lesson and will not over pay for FA this off season.

blackssmagic, NCJetsfan and Br4d like this.
  15. Red Menace

There's the Mainejet we have come to know and love...:)

16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't understand the notion that the jets can't be competitive next year. There is talent on the roster and in the NFL it didn't take much to turn things around. One good off season could put this team right back at 9-10 wins. Hell, they had an impossible schedule last year and were ravaged by injuries. They lost 4 games by 5 or less points.

Its really all about getting quality play from the qb position. Easier said then done, but its not like this team is a complete loss like done will suggest.

blackssmagic likes this.
  17. Red Menace

There are some talented players, but I think the feeling is that TB will not be able to prepare the team as a whole, week in and week out to make it a winning season.

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I agree about TB.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

but that good offseason to get us back to 9-10 wins will result in another 5-6 wins the next year or the year after at the latest. . aren't we all tired of the bad to mediocre roller coaster this team has been on since 2000?

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  20. Beki

Beki Active Member

Be honest, I'm not against signing a top-tier CB from FA, connection is there with Macc<>Bouye and Trumaine<>our new CB coach.
    Let's say we want to give 10-14M to our new CB1, OK. We can free up nearly 50M cap space releasing Marshall, Mangold, Decker, Harris, Gilchrist, Giacomini and so on.
    This is nice, but what does Macc want to do with the newly created holes on the team? We don't even have a franchise QB and signing someone from FA is going to be cost min 12-15M, we won't have LT and RT (if they don't view Shell as someone who has legit chance to start), TE, edge rusher and FS.

We can give nice money to QB+CB1 duo on FA, but what about the tackle position? Do we want to kill the new QB or the youngsters?