Magic Mike is safe!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That would be so very Jetty wouldn't it... :(

Sam Hammer likes this.
  2. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

I just find it incredible that the Jets don't look dispassionately at his record and see that the positive things Macc has done (Darnold, solid first round picks, Shell, Robbie A) are VASTLY outweighed by drafts and FA signings just littered with mistakes. I struggle to accept that anyone looks at his record and really believes he's done anything than a below average job.

Sure all GMs miss in the draft, but this is a guy who was hired because he was supposed to be an excellent scout and evaluator of talent. It's the middle rounds of the draft that can make a real difference and outside of Herndon and Shell, his record is absolutely terrible.

The Jets, just like the Browns just cannot afford anything but above average GM work - we're starting to see what a real GM can do in Cleveland. The Jets owners have to stop accepting mediocrity and hire proven winners.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Hackenberg.

Metstrife likes this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Crazy concept but Mac probably isn't getting canned after one year with a new HC.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

I'll believe it when I see it. We think the Johnson brothers are terrible owners, imagine if Haslem owned the Jets?

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I'm tired of the GM carousel, I do think Macc needs more time here. We want to fire everyone the second they suck and in some instances it is right. But I do want some sort of continuity in the FO...I think it's more coaching then the players he's brought in. Let him stay but get the coach he wants.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting. What do the colors mean? Do you have plans to break it out by team and/or expand it to 2018?

8. NCJetsfan

Haslam seems to have learned from his mistakes and hired John Dorsey, a proven, quality GM, who, while not without his issues, is a proven talent evaluator and drafter.

Cman68 and Red Menace like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I'm tired of it too, but I think he needs to go. You know that I have been one of his biggest supporters and defenders on this board, but even I have come to see that his draft record isn't good and there are still waaaaaaaay too many holes and too little depth on this team after 4 years of his handling FA and the draft.

If they don't fire Mac, now, many of the top HC candidates may not even agree to interview with the Jets, and it means that we'll be stuck with him for another 3 years. Are you really willing to risk 3 more years of bad moves in FA and sorry drafting? That would pretty much guarantee that Sam would not re-sign with the Jets or would be ruined by then if his sorry draft record continues. After this past FA period, I don't trust him with $100 million in FA next year. With his supposed obsession with the Taylors, I don't trust his judgment as to whom he would hire as our next HC. With 3 more years of mediocre/below average handling of the draft and FA, not only could Sam be ruined or refusing to re-sign with the Jets, but we could be staring at such a talent deficit that the Jets could be screwed for the next 7-10 years. No way I'm willing to risk that.

#89 NCJetsfan, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It is not "the second they suck." McIdiot has been here 4 years. The jets have regressed the last three years, and have a untalented roster thanks to all of his high picks for hackenberg, devin smith, chad hansen, lo mauldin, ard stewart, lee, petty, etc. He blew big money on resigns like wilk, fitz and revis. He way overpaid for Trumaine Johnson, pryor, spencer (wild snap) long, etc. He spent the entire 2017 draft picking zero OL or DL, but selected four DBs and 3 receivers IN ONE DRAFT--someone should explain to this nitwit McNuts that the game is NOT played exclusively outside the numbers with just DBs and receivers. Dumb shit!

Red Menace likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

So Mac, gave Morton a 3rd round pick of his choice his first year and they took Stewart. I wonder how shitty that draft board was

12. NYJFOREVER

Again, I'll believe it when I see it. Haslem is unpredictable and has fired coaches and GMs like it's nothing.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

doens't matter what other GMs did though. mac took over a team with a win now mandate and blew a bunch of money for instant sucess and we went 10-6 then we sucked and finally were able to do a full rebuild. cut dead weight and go with a young team. Dorsey was just fired in KC so obviously there was a reason for that. he just has this season only with the browns and had a ton of picks to use due to previous GMs including the 1st and 4th overall pick it's apples and oranges

14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Then this assumes Jets ownership is willing to give Maccagnan another extension, and frankly if the Woody and Chris do that, well then they never really learned from the Idzik/Rex debacle.

15. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I’m not ready to throw him out yet. I’d say we’re in year one of a full rebuild and there are still quite a few pieces missing. It’s pretty clear he’s going to grab an Edge in the draft, especially if we keep playing the way we’re playing. That’s a need.

I think the question is, who did we miss out on in FA that would’ve helped us out right now that wouldn’t have bankrupted us or been a locker room cancer or would’ve been a sometimey player?

We’re halfway there to being a good team. Like a couple draft picks and some good FA away. All seem doable in the next year or two.

16. Cman68

No, its a proven GM vs unproven GM. still learning on the job after 4 years.

#96 Cman68, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  17. Cman68

How many more years do you think Macc needs? 5 more? 10? He's 4 years in the job now.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Good luck! Chase Stuart did an interesting study on the value of each pick by regressing each player's career Approximate Value on where he was drafted. He found the Jimmy Johnson trade chart overvalues top picks at the expense of lower ones.

Cidusii likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's hard to say. 2015 they did that quick re-build with vet free agents. It almost worked, going (10-6). They kept going for it in 2016 and it was a HUGE FLOP. So they stripped it down in 2017 and started a full re-build. Now year 2, Mac has added a solid group of players including Adams, Maye, McGuire, Williamson, Darnold, Shepherd, and Herndon. At the same time he has plenty of flops including Trumaine Johnson at #1, Stewart, Hansen, Donahue, etc. Still a lot of work to be done. 2019 will be huge. Mac hasn't shown enough for me to say he is terrible, where as Bowles clearly has. I'd give Mac another year to continue his plan. At the same time, if a better GM becomes available, or a high profile Coach says they want to be GM too, Mac has to go. He is more a toss-up for me than Bowles.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

how is he learning on the job, i mean technically all GMs are as the NFL is always evolving but he is no more then anyone else. he was forced to field a "win now" team with a rookie head coach when he wanted a rebuild. he somehow fielded a 10-6 team with that after a 4-12 season prior to that. then it took him a couple of years to convince the owners to do a rebuild and he was able to do that and started working on it after the wheels fell off after the 10-6 season since it was on borrowed time with a lot of old vets and journeyman. he's drafted very well in the top and bottom of the drafts made some great trades, got our FQB and has been agressive in free agency. it's a welcome change from us having all this money we don't spend and refusing to make trades in the past compilied with shit drafting. i mean how many 1st rounders have we missed on in recent history? sanchez, gholston, milliner, richardson, off the top of my head and i'm not going to say wilk because he was dominant his whole rookie contract but still. how many has mac missed on? none yet. that alone is pretty big. It seems bowles is gone this offseason, we have talent on defense already just need a pass rusher really. hopefully we bring in an offensive coach but you can't fix a roster in 2 years. right now the jets are looking pretty dam good to be competitive in 2019 or 2020 by the latest. that is a testament to how well mac has done and as it stands now we should get a top 10 pick maybe even top 5