Magic Mike is safe!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Probably best to clean house, but if Macc is retained, the team needs to at least sniff the playoffs or he'll be canned. This is why I'm worried about not landing a top HC candidate besides the fact that it's the Jets and we can't have nice things.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They might allow Mac to have a say so in who comes in as next HC.

Think about it this way, what if next HC has some success with players in current roster?

Then we will know once and for all Bowles was the problem and Mac was better than we gave him credit for.

4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

While I hold Maccagnan in much higher regard, this is the Idzik situation all over again.

If they retain him, then he needs to be allowed some say in the next coaching hire. This nonsense of the GM and the coach both reporting separately to the owner is nonsense. The coach needs to report to the GM, who in turn needs to report to some higher up, be it the owner, a VP of football operations, or whatever.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

6. CotcheryFan

If that's the case, then I'll retract every criticism I've made of Macc. But color me skeptical. As bad as Bowles has been this year(and the prior 2 years IMO), I find it hard to believe that he is the sole reason for the draft pick whiffs after round 1.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think you could really say he lucked into Darnold. He planned ahead for the QB class last year by making a great trade for the extra second rounder and then aggressively moving into position for one of the top QBs before anyone else had a chance to.

He certainly deserves credit for that move. I’m still convinced he got the QB, now he has to nail the equally important hiring of a HC.

8. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

My fear there is another rex/idzik situation where the new gm is forced to keep the new coach

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

To think how bad Mac could screw up the use of $100M in cap space combined with his awful drafting eye is a terrifying thought. More long term irreparable damage to the franchise.

#MacMustGo

legler82, WarriorRB28, tomdeb and 3 others like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Keeping Macagnan?? Why ?? to save some face for the bullish!t decision making by woody/Chris????

The bad owner choices continue imo

Take away the move to grab SD there is NO evidence MM is nothing special as a GM...plus he let Toilet Bowles tell him what 100 defensive players and draftees that loser wanted

He is what he is: a coffee nut playing with owners $, drafting poorly, and buying players like he's on a Monopoly board..feh feh feh

tomdeb and JetsNation06 like this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree, I’m not absolving Mac of responsibilities with how bad the product on the field is, it’s just an opportunity for a new HC to come in and see if a change in scheme will help some of these guys.

If they fired Mac at end of year I would have no problem with it.

tomdeb likes this.
  12. I think a clean slate is needed all around at this stage so we agree there.

But everytime i hear folks complain about the chain of command w Bowles/Mac i cringe. Take a look around the league & youll see there is no cookie cutter way of setting this up.And actually the reasons for them setting things up this way are done w positive intentions

1.If you allow the Gm to hire his own HC you might be eliminating the prime HC candidates entirely bc the GM has his own folks in mind. This allowed the team to simultaneously seek out the best candidates at each position..something this market truthfully demands.

2.The HC/GM work hand in hand rather than conflcting agendas & power struggles.This is set up to promote teamwork rather than division.

Perhaps moving to a different set up where the gm hires the HC is something to consider bc this has not worked but lets not act like this is mala per se & incompetence.There is no set one way to set up a football operations org chart

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the more i think about this, the more i want new owners.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Its not even funny anymore ---its the same thing over and over again. If you want to do this correctly you blow it up and that includes Mac if you want more of the same --> continue on this path with Mac. WE CAN SEE WHO Mac and company hires but once again if you want A REAL coach and the guy says I want total control are you going to say NO and keep Mac here ? If Harbaugh says I will take it but I want total control or he says mac has to go are you gonna say no ? These imbeciles Johnson and Johnson still can't get it right---ugh

15. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

If the report is accurate, assuming Bowles is gone (he better be) and Mac stays, the best outcome would be for the Jets to hire an experienced NFL head coach (John Harbaugh?) that will be capable of "buying the groceries" and gaining a portion of the GM role if next season is another abject failure and Mac is shown the door.

This team cannot afford to draft (what many believe is) a franchise QB, fire his 1st year head coach, then in his 2nd year fire the GM and hire a new GM who will want his own coaching staff (and possibly his own QB, if Sam Darnold has failed to establish himself by the end of next season).

Hiring a guy like Harbaugh (if he becomes available) lessens any disruption if a change is necessary at GM after next season, and provides some (genuine) continuity if Darnold demonstrates that he is (or would be, spare for the cast around him) a solid NFL QB.

Now, how much confidence does Mac have in himself of being able to get the job done?

A guy worried for his own job isn't going to hire someone like Harbaugh - who is capable of taking over a portion of it - unless he's forced to. On the other hand, if Mac feels that the requisite talent is (or very soon will be) here and Harbaugh is the perfect guy to lead the team forward, he may not hesitate at all.

#15 fggrimes, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  16. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

This is mostly where I'm at. MacC could trade a sack of magic beans for the entire Rams team and TB would have no idea what to do with it. That said, who thought Isaiah Crowell was an RB1? The same guy who thought an OTH Matt Forte was. Maybe it's something in the water?

17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Maybe they're whiffs because Bowles and Co. can't coach? It's blatantly obvious that Bowles is clueless and has no idea how to scheme to his player's strengths.

egelband, dogg and LarryAlRalph like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It sucks how low Jets' ownership's expectations have been in recent years. 2013's 8-8 saved Rex, 2017's 5-11 was considered a success, and now this year's 3-7 is no big deal either.

I don't mind keeping Mac, so he can continue his plan, but if it flops, then what? You have a new Head Coach in 2019 and then you fire your GM after? It has potential to be a mess. Of course, we hope Mac succeeds, but that is not a guarantee.

FJF likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

I'm not defending Bowles' horrible coaching, but the fact that guys like Hack, Hansen, and Stewart aren't producing for other teams is an indictment of the GM more than the HC IMO.

20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Can’t wait to hear how we *almost* signed Le’Veon Bell

All Gas No Shake and Aero like this.