Macs First Draft Total S***

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rinvesto, Sep 1, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I totally agree. This scenario is so easy to see as achievable, most just dont see it. Theyve been rebuilding and unless there is a major problem with discipline or the team quits on Bowles you cant fire him. The requirement to keeping his job is too obtainable and the team, like you said, with all the cap room and the talent gaining experience should win enough games. As long as they move forward and contend that will keep them in place

FJF likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I was a huge Rosen fan, and was a little disappointed they took Darnold over him at the time, but have since come to see that enthusiasm isn't the same thing as intelligence.:D So, yeah, it wasn't a slam dunk pick, but it was the right one, and I give Macc credit for having the balls for trading up "blind", and then pulling the trigger on the right guy (IMO).

It's moves like that that make me think he can be the answer at GM, but then there are the other things that make me doubt him which I've already mentioned and won't get into here again. So for now, I'm in "watch and wait" mode. I truly hope he finds the answers at pass rusher and OL ASAP though.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm just glad Mayfiels went 1 ... Darnold or Rosen would've been happy with either. Mac just like Bowles has a ways to go.

FJF, LF911SC and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. LF911SC

Theyre going to play well enough, win enough even with a incomplete team and a rookie QB to show potential. No ones getting fired under those circumstances

They'll go into next offseason with some $100 mil in cap space and will add to the team, being major players in FA. They really have to try hard not to be able to improve the team.

2019 they contend, will be in the majority of their games and win more than a fair share of those games. Thats not going to lead to a losing team. Or a change at the top IMO, theyre set up to be around at least a couple of seasons. Barring a total screw up

FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That would have been a HUGE mistake. Gettleman is awful. Since I live in NC, I saw him up close with his moves with the Panthers, and I'm glad he's gone. Now if you had said drop Mac and hire John Dorsey, then I would agree with you.

NYJetsO12, CotcheryFan and LF911SC like this.
  6. LF911SC

Dorsey?

Kept a HC who has won one game in two seasons.

Drafted Mayfield over Darnold.

Ignored Chubb at 4.

3 huge mistakes

7. NCJetsfan

The Haslams call the shots in Cleveland. I'm pretty certain that Dorsey was not able to fire Hue Jackson. While it now appears that Darnold is the better QB of the two, it still remains to be seen. As for Chubb, that does seem like a mistake, but we'll see.

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

It's funny how Maccagnan gets all of this hate despite winning the NFL's Executive GM of the Year award back in 2015 as a 1st year.

And a deal bolt lock to become 2018's Executive NFL GM of the year after trading up from 6th to 3rd in order to draft the highest rated QB prospect since Andrew Luck in San Darnold, landing the #1 FA CB in Trumaine Johnson and turning a 500k investment with Teddy Bridgewater into a 2019 3rd round pick etc (and now on the verge of landing the NFL's 2nd most accurate FG Kicker of all time in Dan Bailey) and it's already a 2018 lock.

Not to mention the fact that Avery Williamson was rated as the #3 highest rated FA MLB and Isaiah Crowell was rated as a top 5 highest rated FA RB and God forbid Terrelle Pryor splashes (while being the 7th highest rated FA WR). Can't forget about replacing the 32nd ranked starting Center in Wesley Johnson with Spencer Long @ Center either or the retaining of a #1 CB in Morris Claiborne (now our #2). .

It's ok though. Maccagnan supporters will (all) have the last laugh once...

A.) He becomes a 2x NFL Executive GM of the Year award winner (2 out of his first 4 years as a Jet)

and...

B.) Heads into 2019 with the most available salary cap space of any team/franchise within the entire league.

Then we'll see.

9. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

you're right. we could have had mariotta but rex won a meaningless game at the titans.

since denver beat us up head to head and had the same record, we should have drafted 3rd WITHOUT having to trade up.

meaning , that sam did not cost us a 1st round pick , he cost a1st and 3 2nds. given our past history in the 2nd round,
    we can all not stress out about that .

10. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

petty made a lot more sense in the 4th round than hackenberg made in the 2nd.

petty had results at balor, while hackenberg bombed all but his first year at penn state.

11. LF911SC

You Amy he right, they have been as medlesome as any. But do have to wonder if Dorsey is as highly thought of as we have assumed, why take that job? You'll get blamed over moves pushed for by ownership.

A get that Mayfield could become a comparable or better QB but why risk it? If it fails he'll be viewd as an idiot for going against the chalk. No one would have said anything if he took Darnold and Chubb @ 1 and 4 and it worked out that Mayfield was as good or better. It could happen.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mariota isn't that good. EASILY would rather make that trade for Darnold over getting Mariota.

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Dorsey isn't perfect. He was fired from KC for being too secretive and not letting the owners know his plans and for not communicating more with other FO personnel and maybe the CS. He drafted a lot of the good young players the Chiefs have, however.

Gettleman inherited Cam Newton and Greg Olsen, then did little or nothing to protect him by upgrading the OL and did little to get him a good, diverse WR corps. He drafted Benjamin, and that was a good pick, but then the next year drafted a lesser clone of Benjamin in Funchess. They were too similar in size and style, so traded Benjamin. To his credit, he balanced his picks between offense and defense, albeit 4 of his 6 1st & 2nd rounders were used on D. He picked some good D players, but overall, I didn't care for his drafting or FA moves.

NYJetsO12, CotcheryFan and LF911SC like this.
  14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Now you’ve got me annoyed because you are a fucking moron. Do you know how to read?
    I’m going to back off because I am obviously arguing with a complete moron who knows very little about football and doesn’t read or pay attention. Have you ever heard of the NFL draft value chart? It is a fact that no team has given up more in the history of the NFL to move up three spots. That’s not my opinion. It’s fact. Google it fuckhead.

My original post which got your panties in a bunch and made you call me a whiny fair weather fan said that GMs earn their money on picks 2-6–not from picking top 10. Leonard Williams was a gimme pick. How anyone can argue that it wasn’t again is a moron, or related to Maccagnan.

And Darnold was another lay-up. No one thought he’d be there. Mac traded up for Mayfield or Rosen. And to applaud the pick like he’s a genius when he hasn’t played yet is another moron move. He could be the next Ryan Leaf.

The guy picked Christian Hackenberg in the second round. His 2-6 picks have sucked. That’s another fact proven by how many players are not even in the league anymore.

So write back some more bullshit. I’m over this argument. Your too dumb to have a reasonable debate with.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm being a grammar troll here but this is too good not to point out.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

And the fact of the matter is this.

If Sam Darnold becomes NYJ's first Franchise QB selected since dating back to either of Joe Namath or Chad Pennington (pre-injuries), well, then...

No one will ever remember those "three second round draft picks" to begin with. Ever again. Never.

Just like there isn't an NFL soul in the world outside of N.E fans who remember what San Francisco had to give up in order to trade with NE which turned into.... Jerry Rice.

I can't even tell you who was drafted with two of those 3 2nd round picks (the other, 2019). I really can't. And really couldn't care less (It's all about Sam Darnold).

The NFL draft value chart has never won an NFL Super Bowl. But Championship level players have. And I'll take our chances with Sam Darnold over any one of those 2nd round picks (combined).

I don't think Philadelphia Eagles fans are losing any sleep whatsoever while knowing they traded away three top 100 picks in 2016 and a first round pick in 2017 and another second round pick in 2018. Carson Wentz, like Jerry Rice; says hello.

#177 DefenseWinsChampionships, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

You mean the same Dave Gettleman who drafted the likes of...

Star Lotulelei
    Kelvin Benjamin.
    Shaq Thompson.
    Vernon Butler.

With his Four 1st round picks from 2013-2016 (once he finally became an NFL GM)?

That guy?

Who was ran out of Carolina and unemployed throughout the 2017 season after being kicked out of Carolina following their 2016 6-10 season after his 4th year there?

That guy?

And P.S: The likes of Carolina leaders in both Cam Newton (2011) and Luke Kuechly (2012) were both already Panthers before his arrival of 2013.

Mike Maccagnan heading into 2019 will become a 2x NFL Executive GM of the Year after only 4 years as Jets GM while sitting on the most amount of available salary cap space of any team within the league as he's already a stone cold lock for the 2018 season.

While Dave Gettleman was too busy drafting guys like Lotulelei, Kelvin Benjamin, Shaq Thompson and Vernon Butler with his 1st round picks he completely passed on guys and future Pro Bowl and/or All-Pro's in the likes of DeAndre Hopkins, DeMarcus Lawrence, Landon Collins and Deion Jones (and many more) during each of his first 4 drafts...

19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I do not want to get in the middle of this pissing contest.
    But your argument against Gettleman citing the picks of Benjamin and Lotulelei is off base.
    Benjamin drafted late first round has been a 1000 yard receiver and averaging over 14 yards per reception.
    Star is a big bodied beast inside, he eats up blockers that helped allow Kuechly and Thomas Davis to make the plays.
    His contribution to the defense is not measured in tackles or sacks.

Gettleman was let go in Carolina because Jerry Richardson wasn't happy that he didn't want to renew contracts of Greg Olsen and Thomas after letting Josh Norman walk for nothing and doing nothing with the money that was earmarked to franchise tag him.

FJF and CBG like this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He's another Average GM like Mac..I agree with NC that John Dorsey the sharper knife in the draw..I think Mayfield will be good imo

Gettleman is also now in poor health and wants an an immediate SB as his legacy..hence the pass on SD for Barkley