Maccagnan's Views on Petty

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Blocker, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I would guess most if not all have heard something about what Macc said about Petty:

http://prod.www.jets.clubs.nfl.com/...Progress/c1f84b9b-8af9-410b-b5a8-06128eca2d54

But here's the part in particular I want to focus on, regarding Petty's prospects for the coming season:

"We feel ability-wise, he can definitely be a quality No. 2 backup and the rest is kind of up to him."

I think when I first read that, I was not clear about whether Macc meant Petty could be the No. 2, will have the ability to be "a" quality No. 2 (meaning at least he could be on some NFL roster), or that he will be for the Jets since, if he can be, why not be here?

Cimini's article about Qb prospects in the draft this year got me circling back on this. If the Jets are going to bring back Fitz, perhaps go draft at Qb with a high pick, perhaps the first, and feel Petty is already viewed as capable of being the No. 2...

Then doesn't that mean Smith is a goner?

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  2. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Basically what he means is that for this season only, he feels like Petty can step up and be a solid backup (which would make Geno useless) The future is up to him, whether or not he can be a starting caliber QB.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would really like to see if the Jets decide to have Petty and Geno fight for the 2nd spot. If Geno loses, he should get cut / traded ONLY if the Jets acquire another young QB via the draft.

No room on the roster for 4QBs opening day

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yup.

Fitz is 100% the starter for 2016 and the backup is up for grabs and Petty has the ability to take that slot.

And depending on Petty's work ethic, desire, film study, football IQ he could turn into a starter (I'm assuming) as early as 2017.

And that would be with the Jets because there would be no reason to jettison your backup that is developing into your starter.

_

5. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

My take is that the CS believe that Petty's floor is quality backup. Of course there are no guarantees in life but that is what they believe as of now. That is a pretty good sign in my book. ie eventually they expect he'll be better than Sanchez.
    The rest being up to him sounds promising too. I suppose here they are talking about deportment under center, the non-tangibles. He seems like a good level headed kid. Keeping my fingers crossed here.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  6. Big Blocker

Putting Smith aside for the moment, and here talking about the medium term, as well obviously as the long one, but let's say Fitzpatrick is with the team two more years. Three years I think is too far into the future to think it likely he would be the starter by then. And if Fitz is not going to be the starter, and the rest of the following scenario plays out, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to rely on him.

By the end of 17 Petty will have been in the league 3 years, by which time, going into the following if not before then, he will either be the starter or the solid No. 2.

If the Jets pick a Qb in the draft this year, especially with a high even first round pick, then it makes sense to have whoever that is compete with Petty. Not Smith. We've seen Smith's ceiling, and he's just going to get in the way.

Of course the Jets might not go high pick with a Qb choice. Perhaps even sign another vet Qb.

But it took a couple of days to have Macc's comments sink in. I think they effectively mean the odds on retaining Smith have gotten a lot longer.

Does that mean he won't even be brought back to camp? I would not rule out that the answer to that is yes. If they use the first round pick on a Qb, and what with the nice things to be said about Petty, I think Smith becomes a goner even before camp.

7. Big Blocker

Regarding the bolded part, precisely. That's how I read it. It's not him saying Petty could be a No. 2, or we'll see if he's No. 2 in camp. I think Macc was saying without needlessly going too far that it looks to him like Petty is already going to be No. 2 when camp rolls around. (OF COURSE it is possible that if they draft a Qb in the fist round, THAT Qb could surpass Petty, depending. But as for Smith?)

Imo the Jets should see if they can get anything for Smith, and while not a done deal, it's pretty close to one that we have seen the last of Smith in a Jet uniform.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

To me the statement implies that Maccagnan (and the Jets) believe that Petty is an NFL quality prospect who going to be capable of at least being a backup QB in the NFL. He's passed the McCown test in their eyes at this point and they feel they have one of the spots on the QB depth chart tied down for next few years.

It also implies that they'd be willing to draft another QB next year since they still don't know if Petty will be a starting QB or just a capable backup. My guess is they'd be willing to draft a QB at any point in the draft where they saw value and did not have a clearly higher rated player on their board at the time.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't believe Smith is a goner, but if Petty can be a quality backup in his 2nd year in the NFL it's just a matter of time before he takes the starting position as jets QB.

I believe Geno will be 3rd QB on roster and inactive for games next year if Petty does fulfill his potential.

At least thats how I read it.

#9 Red Menace, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    FJF likes this.
  10. Big Blocker

Yeah, I can go with that. I don't think to be clear it is a sure thing the Jets go Qb in the first round, or even first day. BPA will still be a factor, even if they lean toward Qb. So they might pick a Qb further down the board. Theoretically at some point down the board it would at least make a certain amount of sense to retain Smith into camp.

But as for Smith I still think the comments about Petty mean Smith is in a much more tenuous position than he seemed to be before Macc spoke about Petty.

Br4d likes this.
  11. Big Blocker

But the other news (maybe just speculation, actually) is that the Jets look ready to go high pick at Qb, all caveats regarding BPA to be considered.

Based on what Macc said, if they do that, Smith imo is a goner.

12. JStokes

I don't think the Jets will go QB in round 1 unless Wentz is there at 20. I think it's a smokescreen.

At least that's what I'm hoping but none of the rest of them are very good and certainly not better than Petty.

_

13. Big Blocker

Cimini also mentioned some guy named Lynch.

Also, and not to shock anyone here, I want Smith gone.

14. JStokes

Paxton Lynch, he was Carson Wentz before people saw him and Carson Wentz.

I hope someone jumps on Lynch early.

_

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I share the same thought as you about Smith, but thinking about it from a GMs perspective, below is why he's in no rush to get rid of him.

Fitzpatrick is going to be their starter, if he resigns, which I believe he will.

Petty who is the future starter will be the back up, and number 3, your third string QB had 2 years of starting experience and is probably better than most of the 3rd stringers available in the market.

Use the draft and FA to strengthen the supporting cast. At this point the QB position looks ok going into next year.

It's just me trying to look at it from a GMs eyes and not a fans.

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Here's my take on it. Maccagnan said while he feels Petty could be a quality backup, he also has the ability to be a starter, if he can put together an impressive preseason. That's kind of a hint that the QB position is up for grabs next year, and that's how it should be.

Added later: It also means if Petty does not win the job this season, his chances of ever being the Jets starter are much slimmer. In that case, the Jets would have only one more year to evaluate Petty to decide whether to offer him a new contract.

17. Big Blocker

I don't disagree with your sentiment here. But IF the Jets draft a Qb first day, then Smith is in the way, and he will be a goner.

He may be a goner for other reasons, under other scenarios. But if the foregoing happens, imo Smith is done here.

18. Big Blocker

Hm. I think as much as everyone thinks bringing Fitzpatrick back is a smart move, Macc doesn't want to give him too much leverage. If Fitz is back, Petty would really have to light it up to end up ahead of him.

19. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I've always liked Petty. Last year before the Cotton Bowl alot of folks had Connor Cook over Bryce. But Bryce is the better prospect and I was very happy the Jets picked him. I have a gut feel he will be a good quarterback in the NFL. I think his floor is Andy Dalton, but time will tell.

That being said, if the Jets are high on a QB in the first 2 rounds of the draft and he is there, you take him. If Petty works out, great. If not, you have another guy waiting in the wings. Only thing is I'm not sure who that guy would be. Maybe Cook?

20. JStokes

Idk, I dont' get that feeling.

I think they are committed to Fitz this year and I'm not sure there is anyway Petty unseats him, but I also think they believe sitting for 2 years is going to set up Petty for success.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

_

TwoHeadedMonster and Jets_Grinch like this.