Luke Falk Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cman68, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's ok NC, as I said before I'm not putting this guy in the HOF but he has a lot of fans in the NFL. If he's drafted by a team with a good offensive CS he will prove that he belongs in the NFL.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He's so accurate with the ball its ridiculous. He has enough arm strength to make NFL throws. He's tough as hell. He played in the air raid, but I saw a ton of NFL route combinations in what they did at Washington St. He'd be PERFECT inn the WCO

Pepsiguy5 and Red Menace like this.
  3. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

While it’s true they Falk had a better college career, I stand by what I said. The next guy who steps into that Washington offense will also put up similar stats. I think the only way you can draft an air raid/spread qb (before rd. 5) is if they have very good physical measurables.

Even that is no guarantee (Petty/Smith).

4. Murrell2878

When I watch him play I see a future star QB in the NFL. He is very accurate passer, with an NFL arm, he reads the entire field, doesn't go back to the coach mid play, goes thru his progressions...

...he's tough, has good footwork and pocket awareness. The issues that I see are, a lot of shotgun and he holds on to the ball too long too often.

I was looking for a specific throw from this game. You can find it at 4:17. In a driving snow storm he throws a dime to the sideline back shoulder. Another throw that was impressive is at the 1:20 mark with a defender drapped all over him.

https://t.co/ttY9sNAYCd

5. Red Menace

I respect your opinion, and I believe that some QBs don't translate to next level from air raid system.

And you have never seen me support many QBs from those systems, however when it comes to Falk, it's about the tangible things he does that translate to next level.

That's why I'm so high on him. I look at the QB himself and his fundamentals, not just stats. The one thing we can't measure is mental strength.

#105 Red Menace, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There is a lot to like there. Slides well in the pocket , you see him work his way across the field. There were some big league throw there. We could do worse

7. Murrell2878

Especially in a West Coast style offense where his ball placement accuracy is of vital importance

FJF likes this.
  8. Murrell2878

Red Menace and FJF like this.
  9. Red Menace

While I like all of the high school girl gossip the senior bowl brings out, there are very few things that are true. So I will take everything in stride until I see the man selected on draft day.

Keep it coming though because it's fun.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree that he has the arm strength to make all the NFL throws. He might be able to get the ball to those spots, but not quickly with zip on the ball as QBs often have to do in the NFL.

If we take him, I'll root for him, and if it turns out I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat crow, but based on what I've seen of him, I don't like his arm strength at all.

11. Murrell2878

He has shown to have an arm to make all the throws

I was looking for a specific throw from this game. You can find it at 4:17. In a driving snow storm he throws a dime to the sideline back shoulder.

https://t.co/ttY9sNAYCd

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree. It's hard to tell due to the snow, but it looks to me like the ball just floated in there, it wasn't thrown with much velocity, and didn't get there that quickly. In the NFL that probably would have been knocked away by the defender or quite possibly could have been a pick 6. Just because he can throw the ball to a spot on the field doesn't mean that he has the arm to complete those passes in the NFL where coverage is a lot tighter and better, and where there is often underneath coverage and coverage over the top as well.

13. Red Menace

@NCJetsfan, here's a little something that might swing the pendulum in favor of Luke Falk, I know it's early but just put it in the back of your mind for now.

Falk soars early at Senior Bowl amid all the NFL questions
    Mobile, Alabama for Senior Bowl practices, and he couldn't have done any better his first day on the field according to one ESPN NFL draft guru. Jason Gesser, the former Cougar and Tennessee Titans quarterback, knows what Falk is in for this week when it comes to the NFL draft process.

“They’ll question his arm strength, footwork, mobility ... they question everybody’s everything,” Gesser told CF.C. “Those things will take care of themselves as the week goes on. Making the right decisions, that’s what they want to see, the decision making process and understanding the why more than anything else.”

Falk, along with Cougar offensive lineman Cole Madison, went through their first official Senior Bowl practice for the North Team yesterday. Madison showed off his versatility playing up and down the o-line. Falk, among eight NFL QB prospects on hand, shined the brightest on Tuesday according to ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay (subscr) who said Falk was "the most consistent quarterback on either team."

Falk could use a good week in front of NFL scouts after playing virtually his entire senior season with an unreported broken wrist on his non-throwing hand. Gesser says Falk also has a label on his back.

“His personality and his knowledge base already is going to exceed of what they think of him (but) right now they think of him as an 'Air Raid quarterback.' They think that he is going to be a guy that they’ll have to teach certain defenses and systems to,” Gesser said.

But Gesser says he's a strong believe in Falk's ability to succeed at the next level because of how quickly and correctly Falk processes things. Falk just needs to be calm and cool -- as usual -- and his ability to manage and control a game will show, said Gesser.

“The biggest thing for him is to just be himself," said Gesser. "Go out there and show his intelligence and understanding of the game -- not just who I’m supposed to read in this situation but the picture of the game. Where and when to go with the ball, when to go downfield and when to pull it back.”

The Senior Bowl event lasts for only a few days but it's important. All the data NFL scouts compile in Mobile will go into the next three months of grueling draft prep for NFL draft prospects. Gesser says Senior Bowl week is when everything truly starts rocking for Falk when it comes to the draft.

“He’ll go there and play, guys will start talking about him and then all starts spreading around the league,” said Gesser. “I equate the Senior Bowl as your highlight film. Your highlight film is to get you to the Senior Bowl, coaches are interested ... They get to see him with their own eyes, talk to him one on one. It’s either, ‘Hey, I really like this guy’ or ‘he’s not going to fit in our system.'"

Falk has two more open practices Wednesday and Thursday before the game on Saturday (11:30 am Pacific, NFL Network).

Falk is wearing No. 3, in honor of Tyler Hilinski, who died by suicide earlier this month. "We really want Tyler to be remembered and this to be talked about," Falk said Tuesday. "I mean, when suicide is the leading cause of death of men from 18 to 45 years old, it should be talked about. And we should do something about it. I feel like at times we feel like we can't express our emotions because we're in a masculine sport. And him being a quarterback, people look up to you as a leader, so he felt like he really probably couldn't talk to anybody. You know, we gotta change some of that stuff. We gotta have resources and not have any more stigma on people going through that.

"I just felt (like wearing No. 3) is what I needed to do. He needs to be remembered. He was an amazing person and an amazing soul. This guy was one of the most outgoing ... just a guy you want to be around. And people need to know it."

Murrell2878 and JetFanInPA like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I might be crazy, but I could see a team taking Falk in the 1st round. I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion, but it's clear that he is highly regarded by some.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

There is a lot to like about Falk, my biggest concern is his conservative nature, I’d like to see him take more shots.

He’d definitely be up there in my second tier if the Jets stupidly decide to go in a different direction in first round.

I do believe Falk has more than enough arm. Arm strength is so overrated.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I would agree, especially if he continues to perform well in these offseason events. If he actually fits the Jets system well and he's a guy they like enough, maybe they move up back into the 1st to get him? Especially if Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield are gone. Not advocating for this, but just a thought

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Being conservative is something you don't want in a QB when playing the Patriots. Falk is OK, but he's far too conservative for my liking, I want a QB with a killer instinct, not one looking for the check-down.

Sucks he's on the North Team, would love to see him get more attention on a different team like the South.

18. Murrell2878

we've seen these types of jumps in the past and as recently as Wentz

19. Murrell2878

But he's not. He takes plenty of deep shots down the field

Red Menace likes this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm open to that idea.