Luke Falk Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cman68, Sep 5, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Unless the jets believe in Hack or Petty being the future (seems unlikely) macc will need to address QB. Either we go ahead and go after a QB in free agency (cousins) or we have to go QB in round 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That scholarship/window has passed (unless Petty gets inserted this season and miraculously plays lights out). Petty and Hackenberg should be on the roster going into 18', but be forced to earn a spot based on performance. I really can't imagine Mac seeing it differently?... They need to invest a top pick in a QB unless Kirk Cousins is available (highly unlikely he's not in Washington or San Fran).

Not sure if Falk is that guy, but they need to study him and numerous others very closely through April 2018

FJF likes this.
  3. grkmanga31

Macc did go to the game versus Cal. Maybe a 5 pick performance was not the greatest look. If Jets feel like Rosen is the future and the only way to do so is to trade a boatload then we may have to bite the bullet. Philly traded up for Wentz and it worked out. It's always a gamble but if you bring in a QB you believe in and you put him in a position to succeed (build offense around him, give weapons at skill positions) then it can pay off.

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If Mac based any players performance on one game, now we know why he hasn't been that good in the draft and has built such a below average football team.

I believe Falk is their guy, and they won't have to trade away a boat load of picks to get him. Falk is reminding me of the 2012 draft, when Wilson dropped to the 3rd round and teams found a reason not to draft him as opposed to seeing all the things he did right as a QB.

Luck, RG3, Tannehil, Weeden, those are the guys that were hyped up that year.

Falk is not even being considered to be in the same grouping as Rosen and Darnold, even Mayfield is a tier above Falk based on the talking heads, Falk is not flashy but he's cool, calm, mature and poised and is more accurate than any of the QBs that have been hyped up this year. If he's developed properly to make the transition to the NFL, he will be the best QB of this class when it's all said and done.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Based off of this game only, I wouldn't even consider him before the 3rd or 4th round. That said, you don't judge any player based off of one game tape. I'm going to have to watch a lot more film on him. This wasn't the first I've seen of him, but it definitely was the worst.

I see the natural easy throwing motion, I see the good footwork and mechanics. Those are pluses. His arm strength still looks subpar for me for the NE. His accuracy on deep throws is way off. He appears to lock onto receivers for too long and stare them down. Even though he looks poised in the pocket, he appears to be too poised. He holds the ball way too long, and seems to have no 6th sense for feeling pressure. I saw him thrown into double coverage twice, both leading to interceptions. I saw several other passes that could have, and perhaps should have been intercepted. I saw a stupid shovel pass inside the red zone that looked like it resulted in a turnover.

6. NCJetsfan

I'll have to look at that play again, because on about 10+ other plays he had no pocket awareness whatsoever.

7. NCJetsfan

I don't like "pure pocket passers." I want a QB who is mobile and adds the dimension/threat of running the ball. I want him to look to pass first and foremost, but there are times where drives can be sustained or TDs added if your QB is mobile and can run the ball.

Now he may look very different in other games, but based on this game, I don't see how you can say he does a good job of going through his progressions! I only saw him do that a couple of times. The rest of the time he either stood there like a statue, starting down his receiver, or his feet were moving and he was bouncing around, but he was still locked onto his intended receiver. He only checked down a few times as well.

Again, I'm gonna watch more film, but based off of this, he has a good bit of work to do, and I'm not sure how much positive he can offer an NFL team. His arm limitations could be overcome to some extent on some teams, but his decision making, reading of Ds (and blitzes!), staring down receivers, and lack of feeling pressure, has me thinking he's a career backup if anything.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

This is prob one of his worst games if I'm being honest. If you watch more film his regularly goes through his progressions. His pocket presence is still very good though. I agree that in today's NFL a QB who has some elusiveness to scramble is beneficial but the likes of Eli Manning, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning would all disagree. You can win with a statue, stand in the pocket QB so long as he's good and knows when to throw the ball away, or tuck it and pick up a few yards, even if he's slow doing it.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. grkmanga31

Like I said, this was by far one of his worst showings which I credit Cal and their defensive game plan. It seemed like his WR's were getting blanketed. I do agree that he has the tendency to hold on to the ball too long, which can be fixed with coaching but the pocket awareness and calmness while he's going through his progressions is something that jumps out at me. I would obviously prefer Rosen but like I've said before, I don't know how realistic that is

Red Menace likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Given the amount of work I think he needs to do, I don't see him being ready to come in and start Season 1, which is what the Jets need. If they can't get one in the draft, they have to sign a FA like Cousins, which I really hope it doesn't come down to that. Maybe Falk is another Brady, and if you could get him in the 4th round or later and let him sit and develop for a year or two, maybe he would be a good pick, but right now I don't see him being near ready.

11. NCJetsfan

The problem for the Jets is that giving up a boatload to move up in the 2018 draft would likely mean giving up their #1 and #2 picks both in the 2018 & 2019 draft. If Enunwa's back with no ill lingering effects from his injury, the Jets would have a pretty decent WR corps, and their TE corps would be decent as well. The problem would be at RB and OL. Forté is gone after this season. They could get a good, perhaps very good RB prospect in the 3rd, but no stud RB prospects. Similarly, the LT position is in dire need of fixing. The likelihood of their finding a topflight LT prospect in the 3rd round who could step in and play immediately are slim and none. Topflight LTs aren't usually available in FA, either.

Whereas they desperately need a FQB, I'm not sure they can afford to trade a bunch of picks for one. They'd probably be better off going LT in round 1, pass rusher in round 2, RB or OG in round 3, whichever position they didn't take in round 3 in round 4, and then look to get their QB in 2019. In that way, the OL should be better, more solidified, the d would be helped by another edge rusher (in addition to Ealy), and then another RB to add to Powell and McGuire. Then the rookie QB in 2019 should have a pretty decent OL, and some playmakers around him to take the pressure off.

12. NCJetsfan

Again, how can you say pocket awareness? Poise is one thing. Feeling the pressure is quite another. He seems oblivious to the pressure. Unless he was sick or half out of his mind that day, there's no way that a QB who has a good feel for pressure could stand there the way he did and get sacked/hit that many times in that game. I don't care how good Cal's game plan was or wasn't. Feeling pressure is feeling pressure, and he was all but oblivious to it in that game.

13. grkmanga31

You can take that approach but also argue that this team cannot wait longer to draft a QB. I think elite RB's wouldn't be a problem: Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara, are going to be studs. I think we can get one in the later rounds. I would agree though that top flight o-linemen are generally drafted high, and the developmental ones are later round picks. The thing is, this team absolutely cannot rely on McCown next year, and if they truly do not believe in Hack or Petty, with a GM and HC who do not have their futures cemented, QB has to be the most important addition in 2018.

Either ways, it's risky because you trade away picks and you have to hope the QB you picked is the real deal. On the other hand, if you let a QB you really like pass you by you'll be stuck in QB purgatory for a long time as the jets have been in.

It ultimately comes down to how confident the Jets GM in 2018 (maybe Macc) is in a rookie, whether Hack or Petty are given any thought and whether all of this is just talk and we go and sign a free agent QB (IMO not likely)

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I tend to agree that in almost no case would it be wise to mortgage the future to that extent, EXCEPT...if Rosen is a generational talent. At that price point then I think you take a chance. Yes, the risk of failure is great, but the reward is also great. As I said in another post however, the Jets are the most risk-averse team I've ever seen, so it's really no wonder they haven't become great since the days of Werblin and Ewbank, both of whom I might point out, WERE riverboat gamblers. "Conventional wisdom" would argue against what I've saying, but it's more than conventional talent to win a SB.

#74 ColoradoContrails, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. grkmanga31

The sacks he took versus Cal seemed like coverage sacks. His WR's seemed to not get any separation. I think there is a difference between pocket presence/awareness and not understanding when to throw the ball away to avoid sacks. He needs to get better in that department but he has shown on film that he is very smooth in the pocket and is able to calmly step up or out of the pocket to avoid incoming hits. The Cal game cannot be the one game used to analyze Falk. There was plenty of bad in there, but before that game he had 19 touchdowns and 2 interceptions, and his completion percentage is above 70%. That doesn't happen by accident

Red Menace likes this.
  16. grkmanga31

And yet Rosen had another 3 interception game this past weekend. Rosen looks to be the most sure fire out of the bunch but I'd like to point out that one bad game versus Cal and some think Falk is a 3rd round or 4th round prospect. I have a hard time seeing him slide past the 2nd IMO. Too many QB needy teams, too little QB prospects.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I agree that we need to get that QB ASAP, and hopefully it will be in this draft without having to trade draft picks to get him. I don't want McCown or another vet signed. If the Jets don't think they can go with Petty and/or Hack at QB in 2018, then they do need to get a QB who can start in the draft.

The problem with that is as you know, a LOT of teams need QBs. Teams that need a QB and who are slated to draft ahead of the Jets aren't going to trade that pick to the Jets, especially if they're an AFC East team. The QB or QBs the Jets like may be gone by the time they pick and they may find no takers in a trade up.

There are no guarantees, either. The Jets could draft Rosen #1 and he could bust, or merely need a few months or a year to learn and develop before he's ready to start. If the latter is the case, I'd rather they roll with Petty and Hack, even if it means they struggle with a losing record, than bring in another vet. I'm sick of that.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

It doesn't matter that the WRs couldn't get any separation. He should know that he only has a few seconds to get rid of the ball. He either has to find another receiver, throw the ball away, or run with the ball.

Again, it was only one game, but he only stepped up or out of the pocket to avoid incoming hits a couple of times. The rest of the time he stood there staring downfield, had no internal clock, and couldn't feel the pressure coming at him from even right in front of him. I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that he somehow mysteriously lost the ability to sense pressure in that one game, and has it down pat in others. I will watch other film and will try to keep an open mind, but I think you need to as well. You seem so biased in his favor that you couldn't see his flaws in that game. He did not have good pocket awareness/feel for pressure in that game. In fact, it was awful, some of the worst I've ever seen.

I said in my very first post that it was only one game and that one couldn't get a complete analysis of him off of one game, and that I would need to see more film. The 70% completion percentage is easy to explain. He plays in a spread, Air Raid system, where he has a lot of short, easy throws. His completion percentage should be very high. There's no disputing that his TD:Interception ratio is excellent, but as we know most college secondaries aren't that great. The Cal secondary/D is more typical of what Falk will see in the NFL. That's what gives me a lot of pause.

I won't have time for another week to do any viewing, but hopefully, I can start seeing what Red and you like about him so much, as I respect both of you and your opinions.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Not sure if you saw this already but this guy does a nice job of giving the good and bad of Luke Falk.

20. NCJetsfan

Thanks for posting this and trying to help. Yes, it is one of the things I've seen of Falk.

I must confess that I like Lombardi even less than Falk. On the very first play that Lombardi shows of Falk he talks about how Falk scans the whole field, and I think it's utter nonsense. Falk looks at the same spot, then when the pressure gets there (which he does feel that time) and has to move, his eyes/head turn, but as soon as he's in the clear, his eyes go right back to the same spot and his initially-intended target and that's where he throws the ball. IMO he no more scanned the whole field than I'm 7" tall and independently wealthy.

Lombardi has some good points, but gets too caught up in hyperbole/hype (both good and bad) too much of the time, and his showing the same play 5-6 times drives me effing nuts. It's gotten to the point I can't even hardly watch his videos, which is too bad, because not a whole lot of other people are doing QB evals like that.

On the second play, Lombardi is babbling about Falk's pocket awareness, and were it not for a last minute surge by his OL, Falk would have been sacked. He took one step up and to the right, but it was really too late. If his awareness was that great, he would have stepped up in the pocket earlier, as pressure was also coming from the other side.

I would comment more on this video, but can't stand to hear Lombardi's inane babbling enough to even watch any more of it.

Red Menace likes this.