Luke Falk Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cman68, Sep 5, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Throwing bombs at the combine won't impress me because the elements on a football field change a lot. Imagine him throwing ducks in a late november/december game? I like him as a prospect but I think I need to watch more tape on him to confirm some things

NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I like him a lot, I think Jets should select him if he is there for them. This Oregon team did a good job of rushing 3 or 4 guys and dropping everyone else in coverage.

Lots of pressure and sacks due to coverage being good. In the NFL he would have a running game and possibly a second play to audible to. I also noted his receivers never stopped in the hole of zone coverage, they continued to run cross routes.

I'm sold on him.

3. grkmanga31

I like him too and with his poise and read progression, his game could translate well to the pro level quicker than say Baker Mayfield IMO. I want to look at more film to see how his arm strength is, and the velocity of his throws.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. grkmanga31

Looks like Maccagnan will get to see Falk up close and person - Per Brian Costello "Jets GM Mike Maccagnan is scouting the Washington State-Cal game tonight"

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Red Menace

2 of the QBs I like in college football playing tonight. Love it!!

Keep an eye out for offensive linemen as well especially with WS, that line has been pretty good for Falk.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Luke Falk bandwagon jumpers, take your mark.....get set......." :)

[​IMG]

101GangGreen101 and Red Menace like this.
  7. Red Menace

No way am I stopping my support for him, they have him throwing middle and deep routes even though the opposition is playing cover 3.

There are no dump off passes to RB out of the backfield to help him out, and let's be honest, the top CB for Cal made some excellent reads on defense for his 2 interceptions.

His OC has to call plays where his receivers stop in the zone coverage holes.

His reads are very good, his feet are very good, he goes through progressions, he's the real deal, I hope Mac does not sour on him.

#47 Red Menace, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    joe likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No way does he go in the first, but the kid still has some talent. I'd say he's a 3rd round pick ...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

9. Red Menace

I'll be shocked if he goes that late, he'll go late first round, or Jets will select him with one of their second round picks.

#49 Red Menace, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO it's strong enough for some teams, but not for those who play in the NE.

11. grkmanga31

Not a good look

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Red Menace

It was a good defensive scheme by Cal, Falk should be throwing the dump off pass to the RB, there is so much yardage to be gained between the LOS and the middle crossing routes. That is something that comes with experience and maturity.

The CB made some great reads as well, he deserves kudos for playing the CB position correctly.

I'll still take him if I were the jets, if they don't, some other team is going to get a good QB.

#52 Red Menace, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    grkmanga31 likes this.
  13. grkmanga31

At the 2:12ish mark, without looking at the rush, Falk has great poise and pocket awareness and calmly steps to the left in order to evade the pressure. It's the little things like that, that really impress me from Falk

Red Menace likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

I won't be at all and that's no disrespect to Falk. Every good QB draft, a good prospect falls. Right now, I don't see Falk getting as much love as Mason Rudolph and high riser Will Grier. Then you obviously got the 2 guys in Darnold and Rosen too. Falk, I think he's going to go in the 2nd to 3rd round. He has a very questionable deep ball, but everything else in terms of his pocket presence is very good. He's very accurate, and goes through his reads.

That said, I would take him with the Seahawks 2nd rounder. Has a lot of stuff you can't teach.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for the footage!

My impressions:

1. Not an impressive arm.
    2. Stared down his intended receiver quite often.
    3. Not very fast, or even quick if he has to run - when the pocket.collapses, he's toast.
    4. Makes me like Rosen even more because he did better against this Cal "D" even without much help.
    5. It's just one game, but I wouldn't like the Jets taking him.

16. grkmanga31

He is deff not as athletic as some of the other prospects, but he's the closest thing to a pure pocket passer. His long ball accuracy and velocity are not the greatest unfortunately. I think his offense makes him stare down his receivers a lot but when his first read isn't there he really does do a good job of going through his progressions and his pocket presence and awareness are really good. He has to do a better job of not taking sacks, think he holds the ball to long when he should really just try to throw it away.

Unfortunately, Falk is the kind of prospect jets are most likely to draft with the browns and 49ers still winless and other teams surely looking to replace aging QB's.

17. ColoradoContrails

I respect your opinion and comments, but from what I saw I have to really question your assessment that he has good pocket presence and awareness - 9 sacks argues otherwise. And if he played in the NE with the swirling winds and cold his passes would be like floating ducks - I think he would be a horrible pick for the Jets. If the argument against Watson (made here by many) was that he had a weak arm, what does that say about Falk? Watson's arm looks like Mahomes compared to Falk.

I can just see it now: Jets take the BPA "D" with their first pick,probably a Safety or DL, and another "D" with their 2nd, a LB maybe, and then they "steal" Falk with their 3rd pick. The next sound you would hear is the gun blowing my brains out.

18. grkmanga31

Before this game he had 2 prior interceptions 1 against Boise State and 1 versus USC. I am weary of his arm strength but I don't think its bad to the point that you can't draft him. Cal had his receivers blanketed for the most part, and 2 of his interceptions were really fluky (1 bounced off of his receivers hands and the other was somehow picked off of a shovel pass). I would obviously prefer Rosen but I don't realistically believe the Jets have enough to jump up and get him and I also don't think Jets will be bad enough to secure him. Rosen going in the top 3 IMO

Red Menace likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

I don't see a scenario where the Jets take a defensive player outside of EDGE rusher in the first 2 rounds. This is a strong draft for QBs, and lineman ... given the state of the Jets line and QB position, I think they will go after them first.

Red Menace and grkmanga31 like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

Yes, but...they ARE the Jets.