Louisville vs. Rutgers

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Big Poppa Naich, Nov 7, 2006.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

And those guys are not beat writers. They don't have an RU beat writer which you claimed they had.

When I clicked on the CFB section of Friday's Post it brought me to an AP story.

2. GreenMachine

Big east > ACC

3. nyjunc

As bad as the ACC I'm still not sure about that b/c the Big 3 of the BE have not been tested in any way. If the Be is better this year it won't be for long- just like in BB the ACC will be better than the BE in most years.

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

You're overlooking (or, perhaps just don't know) why Schiano has been able to build a little success: He IS getting top NJ talent, but that's not the reason for his success, either. Schiano is not spreading himself thin across the Northeast corridor recruits. He's focusing primarily on two regions - NJ and Florida. He's been going down into Larry Coker's own backyard and competing for top recruits. It really is a perfect scheme for Rutgers recruiting, and it's just now bearing fruit. Why leave?

Schiano's next step won't be to The U. Not to mention, does anyone even care anymore that someone might be under contract with another program? The football world is the only place where contract law is in suspended animation.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Well you must have clicked something wrong. Again, I get the Post delivered and I follow Rutgers.

Here is Lenn Robbins covering Rutgers:

RU-UConn Game Story, Oct 30

RU-UConn Game Day Article, Oct 29

RU-Pitt Game Story, Oct 22

RU-Pitt Game Day Article, Oct 21

Looks like a beat writer to me. Here's more coverage:

RU-Navy Game Story, Oct. 15

RU-Navy Game Day Article, Oct. 14

Do I need to post links going back a few seasons or have I made my point? The NY Post covers Rutgers as a local team, sends a writer to every game, home and away. They are the primary Division 1 football team in the nation's #1 market.

#225 Italian Seafood, Nov 11, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  6. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

I'm not much of a big-guy believer, but someone upstairs is trying to push the Knights to the National Championship.

Auburn? Beat down by flailing Georgia.

Texas? Getting throttled by K State.

Cal? Edged out by Arizona.

Florida? Look weak, beat SCAR by a finger tip. Will they be so lucky vs. FSU or in the SEC title?

Destiny is calling, Rutgers! Will you accept the charges?

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

1st off I highy doubt Schiano leaves for Miami for a few reasons

A) Miami owes Perry Clark (former basketball coach) a ton of money after they bought out his contract

B) They would owe Larry Coker a ton of money after buying him out

C) Rutgers has proven they will spend the money to get to this level so why would they not spend the $$$ to keep Schiano. There is no shoratge of cash at Rutgers

2nd Why did Bill Snyder at K State and Gary Barnett as Northwestern not get huge? Well for starters K State made it a habit of beating the likes of Texas and Oklahoma for a few years in Manhattan Kansas. Remeber he was 2 point conversion away from playing for a National Title. He didn't get the coverage because it was Kansas State. Gary Barnett didn't get the coverage because he is a prick, plane and simple. Secondly have you ever been to Chicago, know anybody from Chicago? They are all Fighting Irish or Illini fans. South Bend and Champaign are both short drives from Chicago. How far is the next closest D1 school from Rutgers? Temple? Syracuse? U Conn? There is no reason Schiano can't do what Frank Beamer has done at V Tech or what Bill Snyder did at K State. No they might not be a top 5 program every year but a team that can compete for a conference title and a BCS bid every year. Myabe one year have that magical run where they play for a champonship. 15 years ago would you ever think V Tech would play for a national title? No nobody did but the school had faith in Beamer and Beamer had faith in the school. I don't see anything different at Rutgers and it would really suck if this team lost focus because the national media hijacked their season but starting this Schiano to Miami nonsense, it's not happening.

3rd why do the more succesful Nets and Devils not get covered? That's pretty easy. They have competition from the Knicks and Rangers who are New York's teams. Why do the Jets and Mets get pushed underneath all Giant and Yankee news? For starters it's history and 2nd you have morons like Francessa who refuse to recognize any successful team unless they wear pinstripes or blue and red. There is no New York City college team to compete with Rutgers. Columbia and Fordham all of a sudden aren't going to join the Big East and steal Rutgers headlines. Part of it is Rutgers fault for being terrible my entire lifetime but people support a winner and if they continue to win they will gt more and more coverage. But the media coverage is irrelevant as Schiano has recruited NFL caliber talent wthout any media coverage or ESPN games. The talent will just get better as New Jersey on average probably produces about 50-75 D1 players every year. Go to rivals and see how many of the best players in the state are being recruited by the top programs and Rutgers is solidly getting good players from NJ. They are also getting top talent from Florida. As the program gets better they will get better and better in fact they already have commitmenst from 9 3 or 4 star recruits.

#227 Barry the Baptist, Nov 12, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  8. GreenMachine

The ACC sold their BB soul when they brought in Miami and Va.Tech.

9. nyjunc

Yes you need to go back, Robbins is the Post's college sports writer not a Rutgers beat reporter.

Who are the Rutgers beat reporters for the News and Times?

The Post might be sending robbins out this year but he is not there every year, what sense would it have made to send him out to a 1-2-3 win team a few years ago? There's a little interest now(and that will fade quickly like SH's FF run) but there was zero 2 years ago.

Miami can come up w/ whatever money they ned to sign Schiano.

Is that why Tom Osbourn never got publicity or is Lincoln, NE a big market? How do they get publicity in Columbus, Ann Arbor, South bend, Gainesville, Blacksburg, Morgantown, Madison, Norman, Fayetville, etc...????

he never got uge b/c he was a jerk? Most football coaches are jerks- at least to the media so this isn't a valid reason.

Have you ever been to New York? Most people arounbd here don't know who, what or where a Rutgers is. most people are ND, Penn State, Syracuse, or Big Ten fans.

The Jets and mets get just as much coverage as the other 2 when the jets and Mets are good. The nets and devils don't get coverage b/c they don't have fans and are NJ teams.

People in the NY area do not care about college sports and while Rutgers doesn't have any competition in the NY are the fans of college sports around here all follow big programs from around the Country. People aren't just goign to abandon teams they have rooted for forever b/c Rutgers had a good season. You can't even hear RU games ont he radio in NYC yet ND was on WFAN every Saturday for years in the 90s.

I hate the extra teams in BB but the ACC was the best 2 years ago and after losing alot of talent eearly last year it struggled but it's back this year and even ina down year for the ACC and what was considered an all-time great year for the BE we still got as many teams in the FF as the BE.

Since 1988 the ACC has had 3 years('96, '03, '06) w/o at least 1 FF team while in the same span the BE has had only 5 years WITH a team in the FF('89, '96, '99, '03, '04).

10. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I don't have to defend my fanship of Rutgers to anyone here. Not to mention, I was just as much speaking for all of the alumni fans of Rutgers on here like Naich that don't want to bother getting involved in a b!tching contest. As a student, I could not be prouder of my Scarlet Knights.

11. Italian Seafood

Seton Hall had almost the whole 1989 team graduate, then got a new class of good players and were prominent on the local and national scene until PJ left after the 1994 season.

Regarding Rutgers, the Post has assigned a writer--not always Robbins--to all of their games for at least the past five years or so I've been getting it. You already lied and said they ran an AP story when I proved to you they didn't, why do you continue an argument when you are constantly proven wrong with links? The Post only gives you 30 days of archives and I'm not wasting any more time to prove a point I've already proven to you and you refuse to accept.

I don't read the other papers so I couldn't tell you what they do.

Also false. The games have been aired on 710 WOR-NY for years. I have listened to many of them while in the car or when the games weren't ov TV.

Give it up, junc, you're embarassing yourself in this thread.

#231 Italian Seafood, Nov 12, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  12. nyjunc

You do actually, don't come in here being a phony fan acting like you have loved Rutgers for years.

13. nyjunc

The point was no one cared about SH around here just like no one cares about Rutgers and no one will even if Rutgers becomes a top 20 team on a yearly basis.

Show me who the RU beat writer is? You are showing me Lenn Robbins columns and he is the College sports writer for the Post NOT a Rutgers beat writer. You are the only one embarrassing yuorself, acting like you have loved RU for years and acting like the City is captivated by RU and all of a sudden they'll become a big time factor in NY sports.

14. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I've followed Rutgers since 2000, and became a real fan when I decided to go to school there. You'd find my pro-Rutgers posts dating back for a while, but then again you wouldn't know that, considering you only slither in here on occassion to harass people just trying to enjoy a victory. I'm still a big Miami fan, but there's really not much reason to create Miami threads on here considering their present state, is it?

15. Italian Seafood

All of those statements are plain false, I don't know what else to tell you.

I just showed you links to the Post covering RU games with a beat writer--ie a writer who is dispatched to the game itself to cover it and submit an article--going back as far as the archives give me. Also, I'm not acting like anything, I have watched Rutgers football since the late 70s/early 80s and hoped for them to get good,. like everybody else.

By the way, this was in the Post today, too:

New York Post, November 12, 2006

But nyjunc says nobody cares, so of course nobody cares. Please.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That is incorrect.

(I'm roughly 45 miles south of Rutgers and I'm equidistant to New York and Philadelphia.)

17. nyjunc

Naich doesn't but you do, naich has been alking RU for years but uo ahve been talking UM for years. You are one or the other, you don't get 2 teams to root for. You acted like you had been a long suffering RU fan and Oh what a moment for you as your suffering finally ended. That's a joke.

It's not false at all, the meadowlands was empty nearly every game and they were not a big topic in NY and Ru won't be either. The other night was a great story but it won't be an every year thing now.

Again, Lenn Robbins is the Post College sports writer. RU is good this year so they dispatched him to games, he is NOT their beat writer. Do a search at the post website and you'll see most of his articles are not about RU.

So in the last week RU merchandise according to ONE company was outselling the pathetic Knicks? You got me, NYers love Rutgers. They will be right there w/ the jets, giants, Yanks, Mets, etc...:breakdance:

It was a big story for a night, this is not a lasting thing.

You are correct, I looked it up. It's almosyt equal distance btw NYa nd Philly but it is closer to NY BUT it's still not in the metropolitan area.

18. Italian Seafood

I also got you in the sense that you were wrong about them not being on NY radio (WOR 710), you were wrong about them not being covered by the Post on Thursday (links above), yet you insist you are correct about everything else. Go back and look it up for yourself, is all I can tell you, even then you won't admit you're wrong. Insist they are not part of the NY market all you want, it isn't going to make it true. Whatever, Bro. Just remember, success breeds success in college football, so RU likely isn't going away any time soon.

19. nyjunc

Shouldn't it tell you evrything you need to know about RU in NYC when someone as myself who is very in tune sports had no idea RU was on 710? RU basketball is also on 710, does that mean NY loves RU basketball?

Why is it that ND was on FAN every Saturday for about a decade and RU couldn't dream of ever having their games broadcast on FAN?

20. Italian Seafood

It tells me that maybe you aren't paying as close attention as you think you are. I'm not claiming to be the world's biggest Rutgers fan, but I've followed them long enough to understand the coverage they get and don't get. I hear them on NY radio, see their highlights on NY newscasts and read their articles (from local writers) in NY papers. Not just this year, but going back as far as I can remember.

And I think you're trying to twist my argument into something it isn't. This began when you claimed RU isn't part of the NY market, and cited Northwetstern as part of the Chicago market. My only point about the Post is that RU is covered as a local team by the NY market. Always has been, just not to the same degree as they have since they got good. I'm not telling you they are going to captivate the city, although the article I posted from Sunday's paper gives you a hint that people are interested. I'm not saying they're Notre Dame or anything like that. If anything, Notre Dame on WFAN shows you the void in big time local college football that exists in the NY market that Rutgers has the potential to take advantage of.