Louisville vs. Rutgers

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Big Poppa Naich, Nov 7, 2006.

1. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I'm not sure that is entirely true. GH is a student at Rutgers, so it's hard to say he's only been a fan for a month.

GH got one day. He'll be back tomorrow.

2. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

Credibility aside, it was still a good rant.

3. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I'm going by what he said in his post. Anyway college is no different then moving to a new city. GH clearly had strong ties to the Miami program and was a big fan of them. Just because he goes to Rutgers who happens to have a good year while Miami stinks doesn't give him cart blanche to be a big time Rutgers fan.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

After the biggest win in school history th Post ran an AP story about the game:

http://stats.nypost.com/cfb/recap.asp?lg=CFB&g=200611090013

They don't cover RU on a regular basis.

last year they beat nobody and didn't deserve a bowl game. It was good by RU standards but not good. this is the first truly good year.

Yes the Heels bought players and their title:rolleyes:

People bandwagon hop qucikly and the Nets and devils still couldn't attract fans. Put those teams in the Garden and they are beloved in this area but in NJ no one cares about them.

Well we started talking about Schiano's options and RU fans started saying how Rutgers is a better job than Miami and how he could win mroe at RU so I added my thoughts on the situation.

5. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Come on, unc.

The debate part of the thread started just after your post: "Congrats Rutgers fans! You proved you are a legit ranked team last night. The bad news now is Schiano is going to be the next HC at Miami."

Could have very easily stopped before the "bad news" .. but you had to throw in the bummer shot.

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I get the Post delivered to my house, junc, I read it every day. They have always had a beat writer with a game preview and a game story at least. Last night's game ended late and they have to go to press by a certain time (I work in publishing), so they likely threw in the AP story to make the deadline.

That's your opinion. The reality is they played in their first bowl game outside the state in history, and played well in what was basically a road game vs ASU. I know you hate it, but that was a good year. Everything is relative, it wouldn't have been a good year for Michigan, but it was for Rutgers.

See? Negative shit isn't fun when it's directed at your school, is it? But hopefully you understand the point--the difference in building a basketball program vs a football program and what is involved.

Real fans don't bandwagon at all, ever. I hate the Rangers, but their fans are like Jet fans, the Devils could win 8 more Cups and they wouldn't change. As a Knick fan I can say the same about the Nets. Rutgers has no such competition to have to take fans from, the market is theirs for the taking. You're just arguing now for the sake of arguing, the difference is obvious.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Judging by most of the media coverage, you would never know that Rutgers is from New Jersey. I guess as far as the press is concerned, there from New York.

Pretty crappy...but for some reason it seems really familiar...

8. nyjunc

If I offended anyone I apologize, I added my thoughts. The title of this thread is Louisville vs. Rutgers" not "Rutgers Celebration Thread". I didn't come in during the game and say it I did so this morning then people start getting goofy over the win and posting nonsense about RU. I am HAPPY they won, I was and still am rooting for them but I still have to post what i think will happen. I am not going to wave pom poms and tell everyone RU is the next dynasty in CFB.

9. silent scream

Seriously, who is doing this?

10. nyjunc

how come there are articles by Post beat Writers during late yankee and Met playoff games? or late Rangers, Knicks, jets, Giants games?

There isn't even a Rutgers page at NYpost.com, there is a CFB page which brings you to the AP story.

That's nonsense what you posted, I am posting legitmate things such as no one in NY cares about Rutgers.

Winning teams get more fans and mroe attention in this City but it didn't happen for the Devs and Nets.

NY is not a college sports town and never will be. The only people on this board whoever discussed Rutgers were students there, I only really remember Big poppa naich ever posting alot of RU. Ther's just not enough interest in College sports around here and Rutgers could win the next 3 Nat'l Titles and that won't change.

11. nyjunc

12. silent scream

Meh, that's not so bad. As far as the Schiano thing goes, who knows maybe all the rhetoric is true with his NJ roots and all and he'll stay. I don't believe it though. I don't think RU will ever be a big time program either, but I think they'll be a good one as long as they stay committed.

There is a lot of optimism lately for arguably their first really good season but even with that NOBODY here is calling them Nat'l Championship contenders or calling them the next FSU or whatever you said.

Edit: Okay Vision is...

#212 silent scream, Nov 10, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  13. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Junc give credit where its due, RU deserves resapect and Im happy to see them win.

14. Italian Seafood

Doesn't change the fact that a major NY daily paper has covered Rutgers for years. Just like the NY TV stations, they are part of the NY market. I didn't say they get the same coverage as pro teams, you said they aren't part of the market, which is false. They are.

Legitimate :rofl:

Again, apples and oranges comparison. The Knicks and Rangers always get more attention, win or lose. Rutgers has no such teams to overshadow them.

Nobody's saying that, either. But having exposure in the NY market is a draw for Rutgers and a good reason Schiano may stay. You're trying to steer the discussion all different ways to be as negative as possible.

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Way to not understand a single word I meant :rolleyes:

I'll clarify, I am not calling them the next dynasty or anything like that, but that it has the ingredients to build something special in RU, tell me if these points are wrong

1. He can basically control recruiting in the NY/NJ area without much opposition, added to the fact that Schiano already has established a pipeline in Florida

2. With their recent success they will add excitement to the program which will add to their ability to recruit.

3. With constant good years like this one, they can become a power in the Big East, whether you like it or not it is a major conference, and is getting stronger remember they were being pressured to be kicked out of the BCS formula just 2 years ago, and now they are even in the position to be overrated, is a move in the right direction

4. Whether all of NY embraces them wasn't the point that I was making, but that the NY media will be behind the school simply because it would be a big story and is the only big school in the area

Now if everything goes right and he sustains a very high level for 5-10 years then we can talk about dynasties. But all of the football major powers had to start somewhere, and Rutgers could be as you said just a 1 time fling, or they can build on this, only time will tell, but Schiano has already done what most people would deem impossible, to even have them do the one time wonder

#215 MSUJet85, Nov 10, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Not only does RU deserve respect but they also deserve to be mentioned as national champion contenders.. They are one of 3? undefeated teams left & the way college football works that is good enough to be mentioned as legit contenders..

17. nyjunc

I give them a ton of respect and i am rooting for them to win but this is a MB where we exchange thoughts and I posted what I think will happen. I could be wrong(I hope I am) but I'll be shocked if Schiano is at RU long term.

I have read the Post for 20 years now and I have never seen an RU beat reporter. in their biggest momen they ran an AP story. maybe in your jersey edition they have a beat reporter but not in NY.

It's not legitimate? I have never hear anyone talk about RU football(other than big poppa Naich) until this year and I have never spoken to anyone about RU football(other than a friend who played for them). It was a great night but i's not something that will last long term even if RU is a power. NY is NNOT a college sports area.

When the isles are good they get more fans, the Giants have more fans but when the jets are good they captivate the area and acquire bandwagon fans. Why doesn't it happen in NJ?

They don't get exposure. They will never be covered like most majr college programs are covered. on WFAN they only talk about RU as a joke b/c Chris carlin has worked there for years.

he'ss till not going to beat out PSU and the Big 10 schools for NJ talent. he's not going to control NJ. he would compete for titles every year at Miami, that won't b the case at RU.

How many times do we see teams come from nowhere to have success then their fans or others think this will help attract more recruits and they will be good from now on? it happens annually. Success this year guarantees NOTHING. Ask Northwestern, Maryland, North Carolina, East Carolina, Marshall, Utah, Fresno state, Colorado State, South carolina and others.

An example from the BE is UConn, they ahd some success starting out in 1-A and they have great facilities and a great campus and now they are a bad 1-A program but 2 years ago evryone thought they were building a big time 1-A program.

Yep they are so behind RU that they don't ven have beat writers for the biggest game in RU history but instead run AP stories from the game.

If they beat WVU and finish unbeaten then I do think they deserve it. I still don't think UL and WVU are great teams but they are top 10-20 type teams and 2 of those typs of wins including 1 on the road would be enough to make it over some of the 1 loss teams.

18. Italian Seafood

Junc, another look at Friday's Post and they had two writers there. The game article was written by Lenn Robbins, their college football guy, and their feature columnist, Mike Vaccaro, was also there. They ran two stories by two writers in Friday's paper, and I don't even get the city final.

Where do you get this stuff? Why would they send two guys to the game and then run an AP story in NY? You're making stuff up now to try and minimize this because you hate the Big East. It's pretty transparent.

19. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

20. silent scream

RU sluts are the best.

If you hate Rutgers you hate freedom.