Looking Into First Pistol

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Greenday4537, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Stopping power in small package, be a man!

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I'll just have to shoot a few and see what feel right. I am getting back into real estate and sometimes have to go into shady properties so have to see what feels best carrying around.
    All my kids have flown the coop so no worry there. I appreciate all the info you and others have supplied here.

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

If it matters, the gun wouldn't be to shoot Woody Johnson as has been suggested in the main forum.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Browning Buckmark is sweet. I have that it is fun to shoot and the best part about the .22 is the ammo is so cheap.

5. Greenday4537

I keep getting suggested to just got a 10/22. My wife said she doesn't want a long gun but I also said I don't care.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The best thing you can do is what you're already doing which is to go to the range and try them out. The important thing is to find one that you're comfortable with. Don't worry too much about what anyone else thinks. Find what feels best to you and roll with it. If you're planning on carrying, which it doesn't sound like you are yet, obviously size is an important factor.

Almost certainly not what you're looking for and not even available yet, but cool. Have you seen this yet?

7. Greenday4537

I'd totally carry given the option. But as I live in New Jersey...hahahahahahahaha. My wife would get to carry because of her job. I could try, but I don't think "My job makes me a target for terrorists" will fly.

I have not seen the folding Glock. I'd imagine that'd somehow be illegal as shit in NJ.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Here are a few excellent carry guns. These are all single stack (6-8 rounds capacity) 9mm's, very easy to conceal, but not the best range guns because of their size. They will all be about an inch wide, 18-20 ounces, if memory serves.

S&W Shield 9mm. You can find these with and without a thumb safety. The cheapest of the bunch, very good reliable gun. Can be found for $350 or less.

Glock 43. Not a lot of options with the Glock, no thumb safety. A little bigger than the other single stack guns, probably the most expensive. Around $450.

Springfield Armory XDS9. Very solid gun, IMO the best build quality on this list. Fit and finish is excellent, has a grip safety and a fiber optic front sight. $425ish.

Walther PPS. Walther has probably the best ergonomics of any gun, even these little fellers are comfy to hold and shoot. No safety option. $425+.

There are others, but I'd stick with one of these. All can be carried very discretely and comfortably inside the waistband.

The double stacks...

There's too many to list, but here are a few to look at. 12-15 round capacity, 1.2-1.3 inches wide, 23-26 ounces. All of these are easily carried, but still make fun range guns with extended magazines. They can fill the home defence roll with the addition of a light.

S&W M&P Compact.
    Glock 26.
    Glock 19.
    Springfield Armory XD compact.
    FNS9c.
    H&K VP9K.

Straight on range guns, shit hits the fan, Zombie apocalypse... or if you're a wide body like myself, a carry gun.

Glock 17.
    S&W M&P.
    FN 9.
    Walther PPQ.
    H&K VP9.
    SIG 226.
    Ruger American or SD series.
    Canick TP9. Cheap Turkish gun, excellent quality. Several models, all good.

If I had to choose 1 gun for a new shooter... The S&W M&P9c with the thumb safety. I think its the best all around gun that fills the carry, HD, range toy roll.

Sorry, that was way too much to read.

RuJFan likes this.
  10. Greenday4537

Wife seems pretty dead set on a Beretta M9.

Went and joined the range. Cheap price for the family with decent discounts. Tonight we both fired the Springfield 1911 A1. Nice, but I don't like the safety on the handle. Doesnt seem overly safe to me (e.g. someone inexperienced holds it and doesn't realize).

I fired 100 rounds with the S&W M&P Sport 15-22. Fuck handguns. Range makes you fire at 25 yards (max range) but I think I did okay. (See picture). Haven't shot a rifle in years.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Bellows1 likes this.
  11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

What you guys think about the PX4?
    IDKW but it feels like that's what I 'm going to end up with...
    Haven't checked one yet...

12. Bellows1

Beretta makes excellent handguns, the px4 is no exception. Great shooting gun, very good ergonomic. It is a full size duty gun, large in all directions, on the heavy side.

Great range gun, conceal carry will be challenging, but possible.

Royal Tee likes this.
  13. Greenday4537

Shot Smith & Wesson's M&P 15 Sport II (5.56mm varient). Damn was that drastically different from the .22 version. The 5.56 version weights an extra 32.3 ounces (109.1 oz vs 76.8 oz). That alone feels pretty different. But you definitely feel a lot more kick. Despite that, my accuracy still was in the inner two rings for most of my shots. MUCH more stopping power for the zombie apocalypse but damn that ammo is so much more expensive.

14. Bellows1

You can buy 556 or 223 online in bulk, 500 or 1000 rounds pretty cheap. Steel case stuff works fine in an ar. I don't recall, but I think the last case of Wolf ammo I bought was 150ish for 500 rounds.
    Brass case is a little more.

15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

9mm are pretty cheap :)