Le'Veon Bell

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Ubiquitous, Jul 22, 2016.

1. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

The guy is hardly me first, in fact he's so team first he's let himself get stepped on and run into the ground with no long term contract for years now. The guy finally had enough and although I think the Jets should pass, he instantly makes any team better, the guy is a game changer

2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying but I disagree. I'm inclined to trust his OL opinions because its so extraordinarily unusual for players to discuss another teammates contract situation.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think there are some aspects beyond whether Bell would massively improve the offense. First, is he healthy and what's the prognosis for his long term health? Of course that's guesswork, but I assume the Jets doctors could check him out and determine what the odds are of him remaining healthy to some degree of certainty. Second, how much would he cost, and how much of their cap space would he chew up, and what are the plans for that cap space? If he's expected to be productive for 4 or more years, AND we can still afford to sign the pass rusher and OL help we need, then I would lean towards getting him. He would take immense pressure off Darnold and make Darnold even more effective, and they would become playoff contenders IMO. There's risk of course, but the upside is to great to ignore.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think the real sticking point is that we can’t get him resigned till the offseason. Also he hasn’t had any interest playing on the franchise tag for the Steelers, why would he for the Jets?

I’m all for going after him in the offseason but it sounds like too much risk to go after him now.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wait for the trade deadline, flip pittsburgh a later round pick. by then they will have given up on the situation. ...... you approach Bell, "look dude, no guarantees we will sign you long term but if you sign the tag and play out the stretch run with us, you are only helping yourself" He burned his bridges with Pitt but he's got nothing against us.

Then you let it roll, if you can't come up with something long term, the only thing you are out is the late round pick and the franchise tag money for 2 months. we aren't up against the cap, that's just extra money laying around. Plus you possibly get yourself a compensatory pick. The Jets would be stupid not to do try something like that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Sure, but so would teams that are perhaps a lot closer to the playoffs than the Jets are, and they might be willing to offer more. The only way that I can see trying to sign him being worth it is if the Jets are at least .500 after 8 games, and even then only if the Powell/Crowell combo is hurt/disappointing.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Buffalo is looking like 2 free wins. We got Cleveland, Tennessee and Miami who all look bad. NE is older than ever. It’s time to start trying to win. Tanking is over with

stinkyB and IBLEEDGREEN17 like this.
  8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Who said anything about tanking? And Jacksonville, Denver, and Minnesota all looked good, and Chicago looked great until the Miracle Man showed up. The Jets could easily be 3-5 after 8 games even if Darnold is doing a reasonable job, and at that point I don't see the Jets offering enough for Bell when other teams will have more legitimate playoff chances.

Not going after Bell for 6 games in a season when you're not a serious playoff contender and your running game is working well is not "not trying to win."

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He is this bad

10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Are there any mensa candidates here that can confirm or deny--can we sign him to a contract extension at this point or not?

Seems like a gating issue.

No handshakes with this snake.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

He can't be traded unless he signs his franchise tag, can't sign an extension once he does so no.

12. Theres gotta be a way around this..Tannenbaum wouldve found it by now.

That said it doesnt make sense to bring him in for 6 games when we’re still putting together a roster.

That said OL & edge SHOULD NOT be the only priorities going into next offseason.. an elite skill or 2 should also be targetted just as well.Right now there are none set to shake free in 19 but that will most certainly change as the season commences.

13. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Fucking Waterboy crushing it.

So we’re done concerning ourselves about this asshole.

14. GordonGecko

A trade can be worked out with a player on a franchise tag offer, it's been done before, I think with the Vikings

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think what I love so much about this situation, outside of it hurting a conference rival, is how a player has turned the franchise tag system against the team. IIRC the Steelers had to leave that cap room open, so now he is with holding his services and keeping them from spend their max because it has to be there fir him. I'm loving listening to all the fans in PA bitch about it.

16. The Waterboy

Players with unsigned tenders can't be traded until signed, not sure if they do the trade before the contract extension cut off date if that changes it at all, but they are well past that date now.

17. GordonGecko

Doesn't matter if the tender is signed or not, there's ways of getting a trade done if all sides come to an agreement

18. The Waterboy

Well everything I have read tells me that nothing can be done as far as a trade without the player first signing the tender. The new team would not be allowed to sign him to an extension until next year so even if they could trade him he would still need to sign the tender to be able to play.

Not sure who you are referring to with the Vikings but you also need to keep in mind even though the franchise tag has been around 25 years, it has only officially been part of the CBA for 12. So previous to 2006 the rules may have been different.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

what he means is just because things can't be officially done doesn't mean they can't be done. basically this

1) Pitt finds a trade partner and works out a deal with the team dependent on if the team can sign bell to a LTD
    2) the trading team contacts bell, and they come to an agreement on a contract
    3) Bell reports to pitt and sings his deal
    4) Pitt then executes the sign and trade with the trading team
    5) Bell reports to new team and signs his LTD
    6) Bell has his new deal on a new team, pitt gets a draft pick and 14mil in cap room

20. The Waterboy

Except he can't sign a LTD until next season, blows all the rest of it out of the water