Leveon Bell will not sign franchise tender or report to Steelers - am I missing something?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by WarriorRB28, Nov 11, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

If he does what he did in Pitt, he will be suspended at least a year. :p
    But I don't see him coming here and hope Mac is smart enough to not even show interest. He all ready stated twice he doesn't want to come here, and today tweeted about the Colts.
    It's a better spot for him, they have the cap, better O line and Luck.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he would tear shit up on that offense and yeah it's a good fit but i don't get how fans will bitch about not having weapons on offense then one of the best comes avilable and fans are like don't pay him lol. if we can't land bell though ajayi or ingram could be good options

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The only way Bell comes here is if we offer him a huge contract and he takes us for suckers. Unless we hire a respectable coach and GM, but I have no faith in ownership to do that.

[​IMG]

4. TonyFtLaud

If he didn't have the baggage, I don't think anyone would bitch. Aside from the injuries and drug suspensions, he's been a distraction in Pitt. Started public feuds with teamates, coaches and the organization and proven he's all about the money.
    If he were to come in, STFU and play football, that would be one thing, but he is going to bring his bull shit with him. First off day Darnold has, he will be ripping on twitter or on a rap track. Ben's been around and has handled worse. Darnold doesn't need that shit while trying to learn to play at this level.

5. GasedAndConfused

to be fair if pitt wasn't so stingy with money and just paid the man in the 1st place none of this would have happened. he way outperformed his pay and was a drafted homegorwn talent that pitt didn't take care of. meanwhile the rams for instance did the opposite and took care of gurley

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Pitt offered him more than Gurley got and he turned it down. They were not being stingey at all, they wanted to make him the highest paied RB in football and he wanted more. They were right to walk away.

7. GasedAndConfused

that was after the dicked him a long for a while and then tagged him a 2nd time in a row when he declined the deal. It was also less then gurley by .1mil a year and only included 33 mil guaranteed so basically he only had 2 years guaranteed since that 33 mil was paid in the 1st 2 years. it was a disguised mega deal that was really just a 2 year deal

8. TonyFtLaud

It was over $11 Million more guaranteed than Gurleys deal. Your trying to use Bells guaranteed at signing to Gurleys total guaranteed.
    Gurley isn't even guaranteed for 2019 until the 3rd day of the league year.

9. GasedAndConfused

i didn't say it wasn't more guaranteed then gurley i said it was less annually then gurley got my .1 mil and that bell's contract is only guaranteed for 2 years.

10. TonyFtLaud

And Gurleys is Guaranteed for 1
    Neither were likely to play out those deals but Bells deal was way better than Gurleys. From what I remember it has something like a 23 million signing bonus, $10.5 million roster bonus year 1 plus his yearly salary guaranteed for 2 years. So if the Steelers we're to cut him after 2 years, he would have walked with around 47 million vs $21.9 for Gurley ($27mill if he's cut after year 2)
    You brought up Gurleys deal vs Bells to try and make Bells offer look bad but it was a much better deal than Gurleys.

11. GasedAndConfused

just because gurley took a bad deal that underpays him doens't mean bell has to. they are different people. brady has been underpaid for a decade because he took less to get better players around him. maybe gurley is very happy in LA and was willing to take less then he's worth. bell clearly isn't also bell's 1st 2 years is 33 million total not 47 million total. here is a really good breakdown actually of how shitty the contract offer was

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7...t-steelers-offer-guaranteed-money-free-agency

i'll give you the short version. the only guaranteed money was his 10mil bonus. he was to make 33mil the 1st 2 years and 45 mil the 1st 3 years.

“There are only two teams in the league that don’t guarantee beyond the first year, the Steelers being one of them,” Bakari added.

The Steelers’ offer, with the potential of $33 million over the first two years of the year, was only about a million dollars more than what he’d make if he got tagged this year and next

12. TonyFtLaud

His 10 million signing bonus was fully guaranteed at signing, his 10 million roster bonus due 10 days later, unless Bell was cut immediately after being paid $10 million, he was getting $20 million his first year, plus a minimum of 1 years salary.
    His total was $47 over the first 3 years.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/profoo...-leveon-bell-47-million-over-three-years/amp/
    It's funny how you went from using Gurleys deal to show how bad a deal Bell was offered, and once your shown that Bells deal was better, your now saying that Bell shouldn't be underpaid because Gurley was.
    Brady has in no way been underpaid. The Patriots have been circumventing the cap using a loophole in the CBA allowing them to "contract" his buisness. So while the Pats may not take the cap hit, they are still paying him

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Those salary numbers are what Pittsburgh leaked and I don't trust them anyway considering they are notorious for not resigning people or acting in good faith with their in-house free agents. Even that though, if you are a running back why do you sign that? Bell gets $20 mil year 1 and then tears his ACL and he's shit out of luck.

all he wants is money spread out. He earned it, he was a workhorse for that team. He has been nothing but respectable while sitting out this year, which is HIS right. I wish him the best in free agency

FJF likes this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

If the #s we're inaccurate, Bell and his agent would have responded immediately.
    If Bell were injured year 1 he gets all the guaranteed money, not just the guaranteed at signing.
    What he wants is to be paid the salary of a RB, plus the salary of a wr, wants it all fully guaranteed, and we have a different definition of respectable. Telling your teammates you would be arriving on Monday, and not showing up , IMO is not respectable. Dissing your teammates and franchise in a Rap track, IMO not respectable.
    He is a top 3 RB when not injured, not suspended, not holding out. He will get paid, I wish him the best , just hope it's not the Jets left wondering how they got robbed in FA.

#154 TonyFtLaud, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  15. TonyFtLaud

16. GasedAndConfused

i didn't say it was overall bad i mean all these players are well paid but it clearly isn't as good as they say it is as none of these mega deals every get fully paid out but it's not as good as bell wanted and likely less then he'd get on the open market but only time will tell. I dind't know about the additional 10 mil guaranteed though so that's good info that makes the deal better then i thought. still this part

:The cash flow beyond the initial $20 million still isn’t known, and neither is the amount that would have been guaranteed for injury only.:

does raise some concern but we'll never fully know all the details of what was offered.

17. TonyFtLaud

That's the nature of the NFL contract. The Guaranteed money means nothing, because it's not really guaranteed. The only #s that matter are the guaranteed at signing, and total guaranteed. That's guaranteed for injury.
    I expect that to be a big sticking point to the CBA negotiations.
    Kind of leads me to wonder if going on a mass spending spree in 19 and 20 could be a good idea. The cap could rise significantly in 21. Of course if it did, Bell would hold out.:)

#157 TonyFtLaud, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Not to compare the two but Philip Lindsay went undrafted as a RB and is being quite productive as a rookie for Denver.

You don’t have to draft high or spend a lot for a really good RB.