Leveon Bell will not sign franchise tender or report to Steelers - am I missing something?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by WarriorRB28, Nov 11, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Not at $25 million.

2. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

At this stage, I wonder if the NFL should just introduce a Marquis Player clause, where a single player's contract will no longer be placed against the salary cap.

It may mean teams retain franchise stars like this more easily, and as a side effect may make it harder for teams like Patriots and Brady to bend the system with a cheaper QB contract.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Well he's either going to have to take a cheap deal to play for a good team or get paid by a franchise stupid and desperate enough to pay him. So yeah pretty much.

NYJetsO12 and K'OB like this.
  4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

#BellWatch is underway. Surely the Jets will be linked to him all spring.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

plz draft david montgomery instead of signing this ahole

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

School me on him.

7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Well apparently they can't tag him again since he didn't report today. I think that was the main reason he did it. Some team will give him a mega deal next year. Maybe even the Jets. Personally I'd opt to bring back Powell and spend the money elsewhere, but he'd be a huge security blanket for a young QB.

8. 101GangGreen101

Iowa State running back. He is elusive (not as elusive as Barkley), has good receiving skills, can break tackles and can make a move to juke defenders. He can punish defenders as well. During the game I think a week ago, they compared him to a more elusive James Connor and somewhat a poor man's Barkley. Kid has talent.

macbk likes this.
  9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Sign me up, but we'd have to hope he's there Round 3, unless we trade up.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

Yeah agreed, or trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder.

stinkyB likes this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

They can tag him again, but due to a loophole in CBA language, he would still be due the same amount of money as if he played under the second tag.
    Pitt didn't want him to report, which is why they brought the loophole to light.
    I'm sure he will get paid, but not enough to make up for the lost $14.5 million from this season and possibly not even as much as the $47 million for 3 years he turned down.
    He would only be a nice security blanket if the O line is improved.
    I think his 2 drug suspensions , 2 injuries, the way he handled the hold out and Connors success behind Pitts o line will hurt his value.

12. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

He turned down $15.67M?? Gurley got 15M/yr; WTF does Le'veon think he's going to get? Between this and the report before that he turned down 5/70, I'm convinced he just threw away $$ for nothing. Plus this will spur the owners to tighten up the franchise tag rules next CBA, and not to the players' benefit.

Only way he comes out a winner in this is if he gets something like 5/80. Good luck.

13. TonyFtLaud

He wanted the same contract as Brown , $17 million annually over four years and $18.5 annually for three years.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

As a receiver Brown is more valuable. Bell might not like it but that's the way it is. See the Steelers plugging in a new RB and doing just as well. Whereas if Brown got hurt they'd be in trouble.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

I agree completely.
    I mentioned Connors success. He's actually outperforming Bells last season. I think it could be a factor in his value next season

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wonder if Bell knows his body can't hold up and would rather sign a 3 year, $45 million deal that is guaranteed, than play this year for $15 million, get seriously injured, and ruin his chance to make more. If that is the case, then this strategy in 2018 will payoff in 2019-21. At least for him. Possibly not the team that signs him. Bell has been in the league since 2013 and only played one complete season.

I'm 50/50 on signing him, but Sam needs help. He is risky and overpriced, plus hasn't played since last year, and is clearly selfish, but he has talent. And the Jets need it.

17. TonyFtLaud

Remember he turned down a long term deal before the tag. He's still a year older, full season off or not. Body still takes longer to recover as we age.
    His agent really misplayed his hand.
    I'd be very cautious about signing him. There would have to be alot of language voiding his deal and I don't think he would sign it. What's to stop him from pulling himself from a game I'd he feels he's getting too many Carry's. Plus with the prior injuries and drug suspensions. He comes with a ton of risk.

stinkyB and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m all aboard the Bell train on a 3 or 4 year front loaded deal which will end when Darnold is ready for his second contract. Jets desperately need a superstar offensive talent and he just sitting there for the taking.

19. TonyFtLaud

Front loading his deal guarantees a hold out after the big payday ends.

20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I share this guy Joe's tweets often but he's pretty spot on: