Let's talk about U.K move theories

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thirtyoddfreestyle, Sep 21, 2017.

1. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

talking about this season is depressing. Another jet topic/conspiracy.....

What are your thoughts of the possibility of a JET Move to London? There were whispers in the past and now Woody is now cementing himself over there with lawmakers and moneymakers as the new ambassador. convieniently while tanking and gutting the team, setting up for a move where the state will give little opposition.

Thoughts? And would you still support them

2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I'm a Brit, but I'm a fan of the New York Jets. I'd have a big problem with it.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Same and I hate fucking London, there is more to the UK than bloody London.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Fuck, I followed them to Jersey, would another continent really be any worse?

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It would have to be supply v. demand decision. Are there enough fans in the UK to replace the ones immediately lost with the move?
    Very few of us will be able to afford to maintain season tickets or even go to 1 game in London for that matter.

The Jet fan base is rich in history and comprised by generations of families which adopted the team and passed loyalty to the next generation. The Jets have not had the benefit of success to lure in "front runner fans" (i.e. New England, Steelers, Dallas...). Successful teams with a rich traditional fan base and a front runner fan base are the types of teams that may be successful abroad.

However, in this situation, since the Jets are not one of those teams, moving the team will immediately come at the cost of ticket sales, merchandising, etc.

Furthermore, since Jets are valuated as one of the highest grossing teams in the NFL (7th @ $2.75B), it wouldn't be a good business move.

So I highly doubt this will happen.

Brook! likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets are a very valuable franchise according to Forbes, there is no reason for them to move

TwoHeadedMonster and Royal Tee like this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I'm fantasizing about a Browns-Ravens situation.

Woody moves this team to London as is but changes the name and then we get an expansion team in New York called the Jets but under new ownership.

Of course our new team would be stocked with expansion-level players, so we'd only beat the London Crisp Packets by three touchdowns.

NCJetsfan, PulseJet, Jets69 and 3 others like this.
  8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I really don't see this happening, and London Jets sounds awful, so I would seriously consider changing teams. On the other hand, I would also seriously consider season tickets. Because I'm a sap. If they changed the name and unis as well, well, that would be it. The London Cockneys could find themselves some new fans.

9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

It won’t happen. The NFL is still little more than a curiosity in the UK.

NFL Europe was a complete turkey and I’m expecting the NFL to oversaturate the London games to an extent that tickets are easy to come by.

The UK may be able to support a full time franchise for a few years but I guarantee no team would last beyond 5-10 years without returning to the US.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm not sure the NFL wants to expand the number of regulatory agencies looking at it's product given the concussion and other health concerns.

Having teams go there to play an exhibition is very different from having residents of the UK play there regularly.

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I am Kurdish but I would have no problem with it. Move Woody's miserable team to London until they get a franchise QB. Bring them back once they find one.

Joking aside, Jets are in New York and won't be a candidate for a move. I expect Jags or another team which doesn't have a huge following to move.

12. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

As a European, I hope it doesn't happen. The spirit of New York and its working class is an essential part of the franchise, it would be a crime to move the team as far as I'm concerned. The very thought of the move makes me shudder. London doesn't have an identity, at least not anymore, NY (and NJ) do. Just, yuck yuck yuck. Please for the love of all that is holy don't make me become a Giants fan.

13. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

As a Londoner this would piss me off. It actually pisses me off that the Jets don't play in one it the five boroughs.

(selfishly, I am hoping for more Jets games in London whilst Woody's here, though - sorry)

LAJet likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Moving them outside the NY Metro Area would mean they're no longer the NY Jets. Personally, I hate that they play in NJ, and they should've stayed in NY. So, no I would not root for the London (or any other city) Jets. If they WERE moved, I would hope the NFL strips them of the Jets name, like they did with the Colts, and gives NY a new franchise with new ownership and the Jets name. That would be an improvement, and maybe the only way to break the Curse.

15. 101GangGreen101

I would never become a Giants fan if the Jets move. I'll either just be a fan of the NFL or maybe just root for the Packers.

16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Please....move them to Mars.

NCJetsfan and Jets69 like this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

[​IMG]

BacktoQueens and Brook! like this.
  18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

There are probably 10 other NFL teams where it would make far more sense for them to move to London than for the Jets to move there, including both LA teams. It would be a massive PR disaster for the NFL for a New York team to leave (and that's what the Jets are, whatever fans might like to say). And somehow I doubt that the Giants would be too thrilled about losing the partner that's paying off half of the $1.6 billion cost of the stadium.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Your subways are great (Mind the Gap!) Maps identical to NYC subway maps so it was easy to get around town. Only had a week but needed more time to see via rail. Eurostar was pretty damn cool. Oh yeah, I'd have to cut the Jets loose if that happened.

20. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

How many regular posters on this board are Brits? Seems like a lot of guys.

I wouldn't put it past Woody to try, he gets the title of first owner of an overseas franchise.

But i like the suggestion of moving the team and creating a whole new Jet franchise with new ownership. I would think the league would like that too. How valuable would a winning Jet franchise be?

ColoradoContrails likes this.