Leonard Williams looks fat to me

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

You're right he should have had 15 sacks that first year, he's trash.

I'm just saying it's a team game. There is plenty of blame to go around. As far as team issues go, this guy is near the bottom of the list.

FJF likes this.
  2. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I disagree with that.

With a first round pick especially a top ten pick a football team is hoping that they get a incredible HOF game changing type of talent. Missing on a top ten pick sets a organization back years and yes getting a ordinary player that high qualifies as missing.

The fact that Wiliams has been ordinary is part of the reason why we're in this mess. Think we're where we are if Williams were a Watt-like QB sacking, game wrecking beast?

He hasn't proven to be a big money player IMO. Not only do I believe he's not worth a mega bucks second contract I don't think he's worth the $14 million he's scheduled to earn in 2019 his option year. The Jets can do better.

JMO

Stevied and 94Abraham like this.
  3. Sam Hammer

They didn't miss on Williams, LOL! He's been better than ordinary, the Jets just have no edge rushers and interior support has also been weak. Williams is a locker room leader. Your gripe that he's not all pro, does not make him a roster problem. Plus he did make the all rookie squad in 2015 and the pro bowl in 2016, when Mo was hot steamy garbage and Sheldon was doing more harm than good. As I said, he's the least of the Jet's problems. Get him an edge rusher and give the 3rd round kid some time to develop. He can't do it all himself.

FJF likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If he wasn't so fat, he'd get sacks like JJ Watt does. :p

Red Menace, K'OB and Sam Hammer like this.
  5. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I don’t see Aaron Donald or JJ Watt complaining about needing an edge rusher. For where he was drafted, he’s a disappointment. We all expected a game changer, not a guy who is above average and only makes a pro bowl as an alternate due to others being injured or playing in the super bowl.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

A high and tight haircut wouldn’t hurt either

NY Jets68 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  7. Sam Hammer

JJ Watt has Mercilus and Clowney (top 10 edge rusher according to bleacher report last year). Donald is the best defensive player in the NFL and they still brought in Fowler to help. I'm just saying the Jets front 7 has a ways to go.

Here are the top 10 draft picks from 2015:

1 Jameis Winston
    2 Marcus Mariota
    3 Dante Fowler
    4 Amari Cooper
    5 Brandon Scherff
    6 Leonard Williams
    7 Kevin White
    8 Vic Beasley
    9 Ereck Flowers
    10 Todd Gurley

Outside of Cooper and Gurley, you don't have any bonafide game changers. Scherff, Gurley and Cooper are the only I would draft over Williams in hindsight. Imagine the hell that breaks loose if the Jets draft Flowers there!

#107 Sam Hammer, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  8. Sam Hammer

Yeah, he's probably an alcoholic, too. :mad:

#108 Sam Hammer, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

And Cooper and Scherff were already off the board by 6.

10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I’m not disputing he was the wrong pick I just wished we would see a force like we hoped for. Imagine how much better the D would be if he had some pass rushing abilities. He’s still solid don’t get me wrong but I was just hoping for much more. Maybe my expectations are too high...

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Willams was AWFUL sunday against the Bears. He was floating most of the game, going through the motions, then he jumped offsides twice.

He isn't the player he was drafted to be. I'd consider trading him in the offseason. They can find someone to do his job, cheaper and easier. And I think other teams would be interested in him based on the "name" and reputation.

12. WarriorRB28

Teams can get guys in the middle rounds to do what Williams (supposedly) does. Heck they got one as a undrafted free agent (Snacks) a few years ago and he did the job better IMO!!!

That high in the draft teams are hoping for a sacks monster. Period.

13. WarriorRB28

You're expectations weren't too high especially after we were told and continue to be told how the Jets "stole" this JAG on draft day.

14. Sam Hammer

Boats CAN be wooden!

15. Sam Hammer

Well sure, teams can do that, but that's luck. Every year there are late picks that end up being great and early picks that suck. That's the nature of the beast. That doesn't mean it's just as easy to pick an impact player late. It's pretty much always a crapshoot.

#115 Sam Hammer, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  16. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

When he was drafted he was getting compared to Reggie White! Seems laughable now, but that’s the way it was. “Generational talent, no one can believe he fell to 6!” We’re seeing why.

The notion that he’s good is somewhat laughable too, what constitutes as good? He stops the run? Great, but most of those guys do that, and it’s a passing league. He supposedly has a bunch of hits and he’s the kind of being 1/2 a second too late per the media. For as much as we hear about him in this regard, I can’t remember Tom many hurried or errant throws he’s caused. And lastly the double teamed argument. First off people refute that, secondly someone has to be, good players find a way occasionally. 4 years in and only 1 game he’s really dominated.

Losing weight might help, so would having other folks who can play, but I have a funny feeling we’d only be adding 2-3 more sacks (on top of his usual 3) to the total. That’s great I’ll take it, but hardly what he was billed as.

Let’s just be honest boys, “The sons of anarchy” were all over hyped. They talk a lot, had the pedigree, but ultimately were excellent conmen.

17. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

Williams is an avg player who makes a nice play here and there. He seems like a decent guy (unlike Sheldon and what Mo turned into) but lets face it, he’s a huge letdown and borderline bust. A top 6 pick needs to be an ELITE player, game changer, someone who offenses need to plan around. Williams isnt remotely close to any of those things. Macc should be instantly fired if hes even thinking of paying this guy top dollar. Quite frankly, I know teams overpay in FA, but i just dont see a huge market developing for LW

Stevied likes this.
  18. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

3-4 ends are fairly easy to replace and becoming easier with the pass happy trends the league is going in. Back in the day, teams used goon guys solely to take up a blocker or 2, and they got by fine in a run happy league.

I think his money is better spent elsewhere.. I’d argue that we’d be just fine with 2 Henry Anderson’s.

But have no fear, for as many picks as Macc has missed he’ll definitely resign Leo and Sharon Lee to long-term deals to save face

BrowningNagle and Sec124DieHard like this.
  19. Sam Hammer

Borderline bust? LMAO. Sorry I just can't even remotely take this seriously. Keep bashing the dude. I'll just keep laughing at how repulsively toxic fans are. 2 seasons ago people were lauding him, now he is a borderline bust because he can't carry the entire front 7 by himself? Come on, man.

HomeoftheJets, FJF, joe and 1 other person like this.
  20. WarriorRB28

Space eating, run stopping D-linemen are obsolete in today's NFL because it's a passing league/game now. I remember when guys like that Ted Washington, Sam Adams, Tony Siragusa, Jason Ferguson etc. were worth their weight in gold.

Not anymore the game has changed.

It's a passing league which means teams need guys that can get the QB down don't give me that QB pressure garbage that guys that can't get sacks use to try to get paid.

Even so after some of the calls I've seen this year I'm beginning to question whether the league wants that much defense/resistance against offenses.

ColoradoContrails and Stevied like this.