Leonard Williams is NOT the great player we thought he was

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 15, 2017.

1. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Blimperson looks pretty svelte these days.

Jets69 likes this.
  2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Protections are sliding Williams way but there are times he’s isolated on an OL and doesn’t get the push expected.

Today he had a few chances to make a play.

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

It's pretty sad when the "strength" of our team is actually it's weakest link...we get no pressure on the QB EVER.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

haha..and Williams hasn't even gotten paid yet, wait until he does,

Jets69 likes this.
  5. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

He's playing hurt.

6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

No doubt Wilk and Williams have underachieve this season regardless where they have been positioned both are getting manhandled single and double coverage and not successfully stopping the run.

However I seen Williams more active near the plays whilw Mo he is no where where the plays are half of the time.

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Mods delete please

#47 grkmanga31, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed consistently, but is he playing out of position often?

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here? The thread is about Leonard WIlliams who is playing hurt and your post is all about Wilkerson

10. grkmanga31

For some reason when I saw he's playing hurt I immediately thought Wilkerson since his name has popped up in this thread and others quite a bit since yesterday. Mods free to delete

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it's all good you didn't need to delete, in fact I agreed with your assessment of Wilkerson and maybe the discussion had shifted thats why I asked if I missed something. It was just confusing because they are both playing hurt and underachieving

12. grkmanga31

Both are deff underachieving, I think for different reasons though. No one on the d-line is scary other than L. Williams. Williams is getting a ton of attention and I don't think he's used to getting as many double teams as he is now. When you get rid of Richardson and you have a shell of Wilkerson on the d-line, it makes for a d-line that just doesn't do much

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry but just shaking my head in amazement at the money, draft picks and preference the Jets D has gotten year after year....and, drum roll, here's the result..LMAO

Why not get a young competent FQB and a decent offensive line to protect him and score a sh*tload of points, use up some clock so your D can rest and not worry..come playoffs it won't be as easy a plan, yes

But this org always has it ass backwards ...DONT start a rebuild with the D get a QB Receivers and an OL ...look at all the better teams e.g. Dallas GB Where is their real strength ? Scoring points. So when the time comes you can fine tune things with some Defensive stars

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Exactly!

Apparently the Jets missed the memo a few years ago that the NFL was going to become a scoring league, because they continue on their impossible mission to build a completely impregnable defense. In today's NFL THERE IS NO SUCH THING!

And aside from the rules and interpretations that support this era, there is the additional aspect of the NFL mandating that the "favorite" teams always be given a chance to make a comeback in any given game - you are not going to shut down Brady, Rogers, etc. if their team is with 3 scores of winning. The refs will find ways to enable them to move the ball - phantom pass interference; roughing the passer; off sides; etc. If you want to win in today's NFL you need to be able to score. Relying on a "stout" defense and dink and dunk offense is a recipe for losing. Will someone please make sure the memo FINALLY gets to the Jets?

boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

But, but how can that be we draft defense every year in the first round. We even took Calvin Pryor 2.0 in this years draft. His leadership really showed up on that Gronk touchdown. Maybe the problem is still our loser head coach and imbecile defensive coordinator. I think Morton is a keeper he is truly getting the most bang for the buck on the offensive side. McCown 6 games in has had his best season ever. No stud WR's, a brand new ASJ. That is what coaches are suppose to do coach up the talent they are handed. Bowles will never be that guy.

16. boozer32

Well said Namath. Only the Jets in an offensive geared league keep taking defensive players. Then try and get by with scraps like McCown and Fitzpatrick.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. boozer32

That's just one of the problem. You stand up the OL but the linebacker play is crap. Lee is garbage, you dumped Harris without any good replacement. Zero pass rush so your corners are chasing WR all the way down the field. I would cut Lee right now because he won't get better. Cut bait and move on.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Adam has already shown a lot more than Pryor did. Still need more impact plays from him as well. But he's primarily being manned up against tightends and backs rather than reading the quarterbacks eyes like you really want your strong safety to do.

We're playing a lot of cover 1 with man coverage across the board.

The secondary and safety play have not been the problem. They've been very good this year. We can't even get coverage sacks though. That's alarming.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  19. boozer32

I see too many missed tackles from Adams and his coverage skill are awful. We could have drafted Deshaun Watson at 6 instead and still had a good safety in the 2nd round in Maye. Maye who I liked before the draft and he looks more well rounded. Imagine that a high draft pick offensive player and a high drafted defensive player. Some teams do a balancing act like that to build a complete team. But not the Jets.

fansince90 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't know what you're watching, but I've seen Adams sticking to whomever he covered. I mean that with all due respect too because I respect your opinion. He was all over Gronk for the most part and that PI call was a phantom call where Gronk initiated the contact. Go back and rewatch it.

Like I said, I haven't seen Adams forcing any turnovers but he's not being used in a way to do so. He's basically being used as a cover corner for tightends/slot receivers in passing downs, and flying up into the box on run downs because our linebackers are awful. He's being used like Bowles wanted Lee to be used.

I'd like to see Adams be given a bit more free range to read the quarterback and make plays. We've learned our lesson trying to leave DeMario Davis in coverage. Lee looked decent the past couple weeks but he's still worrisome against real playmakers. He covers tightends better than he does runningbacks probably because they can't change direction as quickly. And aren't given two way go's out of the backfield that Lee struggles so mightily with. Which leads to missed open field tackles.

#60 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Mogriffjr and boozer32 like this.