Leonard Williams is NOT the great player we thought he was

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sorry. I'm usually an optimist for the most part. And I think our players are better than they usually are.

Leonard Williams now has 1 sack in his last 15 games. 0.5 sack vs. the Colts in a blowout. 0.5 sack vs. the 49ers. Both games were last year. He's now been held sackless in all six games this year.

Our box as a whole has been getting shredded on the ground. But I don't see him personally getting penetration we used to see Wilk (pre-injury) and Richardson get from that same 3-4 defensive end spot.

Is he getting doubled? Sure, at times. Is he making impact plays? Nope. He's not even hitting the quarterback. And when he has, it hasn't been very close to getting the sack. Getting doubled as the best player on a defensive line is life as a good NFL defensive lineman. And you find ways to beat it. He is not. And he's not doubled every play. Don't tell me he is.

He's a decent player. A decent run stuffer. Might as well be a non factor as a pass rusher.

Nowhere near the great player he was touted to be or we thought he'd be. I hope the coaching staff and front office is both smart and realistic about what they have in him. I'd re-sign him. But I would not break the bank for him.

boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Are you saying the BPA is NOT the BPA? Blasphemer!!

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Snacks and Sheldon were definitely the heart and soul of the SOA.

We chose to pay Wilk and draft the Big Cat. #SOJ

4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We definitely need to get better 3-4 DEs. Fuck getting a playmaker at OLB. We need to draft 3-4 DEs early and often in the next several drafts.

5. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

BULLSHIT. Toilet misuses Leonard Williams. He continues to line him up inside and therefore he draws a double team on almost every play. He should be used as a DE. Kacey Rogers also fucking sucks as a DC.

tbruner12, NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  6. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

I
    I'll give you that, Rodgers is as sweet a man as you'll come across and his intentions are good, but as a DC he leaves much to be desired. Williams is a great player, he's being misused for sure.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Or maybe we coulda took Vic Beasley

All Gas No Shake and James Hasty like this.
  8. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I hope you're being sarcastic.

9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Overrated the same as most on the members on this team, it amazes me the amount of picks we put into the DL, and this is the shit that remains

10. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

And don't give me the "we all thought Williams was bpa" we are fans we are supposed to just follow media hype. It's the JETS job to find out the truth! Every year they either hop on a media hype train (Williams, Adams looks good but leaving much to be desired if taken over Watson). Or try to be the smartest guys in the room like they should but always guess wrong. So in result they are a kid who sucks at fantasy football drafting the auto draft and then drafting one or two guys they think will be great but regret instantly

11. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't care where he's lining up. He has one sack in one game short of a full season. Unless he was lining up at linebacker like Sheldon Richardson was or at safety, he has no excuses. He is not producing, regardless of where he's lining up.

Aaron Donald is lining up as a 3-4 defensive end for the first time in his life. He has a sack this year. He's getting pressures this year. He's making tackles behind the LOS this year, all while recovering from injury and adjusting to a new scheme. He just had a strip sack.

Williams was nowhere to be found today. He didn't even have a pressure, did he?

NYJetsO12 and Walt White like this.
  12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

do you mopes even watch the games?

13. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Williams has the same problem almost every other rookie has had in the past 10 years: Coaches who don't have the first clue of how to develop a player. We've had A and B rated drafts quite often over the past few years, and yet, almost every first and second round player has been a bust. Busts should be somewhat rare. Players are considered 1st and 2nd round talent when they are pretty much can't-miss prospects. But like any rookie, they still need development and coaching to play at the professional level.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

He's out of position based off of need at the moment. McClendon is doing a yeoman's job as a NT which he really isn't. And Pennel is decent but they aren't good. So at times you have Cat acting as the NT in pass rushing situatuons. Right now it is what it is. But yes he needs to improve but it's not entirely his fault.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The sad thing is I noticed him 5x more than I noticed Wilkerson.
    He was at least near the ball carrier at times, often on Wilks side of the field.

16. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I would like ya know what games you are watching if you feel he is an impact player.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It is abundantly clear what we desperately need come draft day. Be prepared to see a new DL on round one.
    PS. Letting Snacks walk and renegotiating Mo was as bad as it gets, right next to the last Revis contract.

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

How many 1st picks have We wasted on DL, and this is the product? And people are complaining about drafting a QB, if you can't draft quality play making lineman, than how in the he'll are they going to find a needle in a haystack with a QB?

Cman68 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

It's unbelieveable how many first round picks we have wasted on the defensive line to be the 30th rank rushing defense coming into today. It's downright disgusting.

We should pull Deon Simon up from the practice squad already. McLendon isn't getting the job done.

One of the biggest problems I'm seeing across the defensive line is that they're not falling off their blocks. They're not doing a completely terrible job holding their blockers up, but they need to fall off their blocks better.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We all went bananas how smart our GM was to grab Williams come draft day...now what? if we played the PAC 10 Williams would dominate???

The obsession with Defense leads you to this : some winners Maye/Adams but major busts like Williams as well

After 2 years we see semi production from Lee ?..And where is Devon Smith?

You got Kearse in a nice trade for SR but you lost your pass rusher essentially

Mo Wilk is the worst influence any team can have since LW sees the lazy mans way to riches..I hope he gets cut because of his play and poor influence

JMHO

JetsNation06 and boozer32 like this.