Lenny and the JETS 2017 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by All Gas No Shake, Mar 24, 2017.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

1) soloman thomas, edge - stan

i already know that there will be people that will complain about pick, but i rebut in the immortal words of the poet trick daddy ... "bitch, you dont kno nann."

soloman thomas is an absolute terror. he lined up a lot inside, but he is most definitely an edge prospect, as well. his tape on the perimeter shows great dip/rip, swim, and spin moves. to back up the film, he tested at an elite level at the combine. on top all of that, he is relentless in pursuit.

this is an elite talent at a premium position and the solution to our continuous pass rush woes.

2) dion dawkins, t/g - tem

i keep hearing scouts say that dawkins is better suited to play guard, but i think theyre selling him short. this dude has quick feet, and long arms, the two factors that i look for most in a LT. his versatilty will provide us with excellent depth. that depth will allow us to keep the oline strong so that we can properly evaluate hack, petty, and/or [insert 2018 rookie qb here]

3a) marcus williams, s - utah

our secondary allowed far too many plays over the top last year. marcus williams (not him) is a ball hawk that will take advantage of people those kinds of deep shots. he is also a pretty solid tacker.

the knock on him is that he reads the qbs eyes a little too much and guesses, and i agree. but he guesses correctly quite a bit and he has the production to prove it.

he also tested at an elite level to back up his film.

having two DBs named marcus williams is gonna be weird, tho.

3b) sidney jones, cb - wash

uber talent. i love corners that use their hands at the line and he is excellent in that regard. he also has great size, length, speed, quickness, and hips. oh, and excellent production.

as im sure you know, under normal circumstances he is probably the first of second corner off of the board in the first round. however, the torn achillies that he suffered during his pro day will cause him to fall. this is a 6-9 month injury so he is likely to start the season on pup and he may not play in year one. but when you acquire more picks (see below), these are the kind of risks that you can take.

richardson trade - 4th and 5th

i used the ravens trade of hiloti ngata as the basis for richardsons compensation

4) adam shaheen, te - ashland

his tape is near comical as hes is head and shoulders bigger than all of his opponents. but this kid has a lot of talent.

he is 6'6, 280, but moves extremely well in the open field. i cant tell if he is a good blocker because he was a giant amongst his peers, but he certainly has the size to make it happen if he so desires.

this is another move that will help young QBs by providing a big intermediate target

5a) brian hill, rb - wyoming

this dude might be the steal of the draft. he had great production (albeit, in a weak conference) and i love his film. he finds the lane, makes a cut, and is at the second level. there, hes tough to bring down because he may try to shake you or lower his shoulder.

he had very good combine numbers that proved that he can compete with his peers athletically.

i think he is available this late due to the depth at the position, devaluing of the position, and questions about competition.

5b) jon toth, c - kentucky

i would like to pick up a c/g prospect. toth is a four year starter, with good size. i dont know how to evaluate center prospects so that sounds good enough for me.

6) best available corner

there are always a few talents that slip through the cracks and due to the depth of the position, i think there will be at least a couple of corners that fall. give me one of those dudes.

7) sam rogers, h-b - va tech

i live in va so i have seen this team play many times. rogers is a good blocker with great hands.

your feedback is welcome, even if you dont "kno, kno, kno"

2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

No offense before round 4 would be insanity. Super SOJ, so it could happen.

3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

lol ... dion dawkins plays offense

4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I over looked that. I saw it, nodded and kept going haha. Just no sexy picks.

Soloman is real good, I just don't know about him being a 3-4 OLB. I would like it much better if we had Adams or Hooker in the 1st then an OLB or a sexy pick with our 3rd. Also not sure if Jones lasts but I would love the pick.

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

So, no screwdrivers huh???

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I love him as a 4-3 DE prospect, but Solomon is NOT a 3-4 OLB. The only way he would be a good pick for the Jets is if they're switching full time to a 4-3. Otherwise, he would be a horrible pick. You don't take a player in your top 10 that doesn't fit the schemes you run and you don't take a "tweener" that high, either. I like that you wanted to add an edge rusher, but imo he isn't it for the Jets.

I haven't seen dawkins play, and haven't heard ANY comments on him in any of the draft info I've seen regarding OTs, so will keep an open mind, but am skeptical.

Based on your description of Marcus Williams, I wouldn't take him, not only because of the confusion with two Marcus Williamses, but watching the QB's eyes can get you burned in the NFL more often than not, and I think that's a habit that would probably be very hard to break. I also haven't seen any mention of him as being a great safety prospect anywhere else, so would pass.

Sidney Jones would be an understandable pick. He was a great prospect until he went down with the injury. I wouldn't hate it or that he couldn't play this year, although I'm sure that more than a few Jets fans would. LOL

I like getting a 4th and a 5th for Richardson, and that may be about what his value is. I've heard of and read some on Shaheen. If memory serves me correctly he's just a big receiver. Has perfect size to be a great blocker, but isn't. I could be wrong however. If I'm right, he isn't what the Jets need imo. There are good 2-way TEs in the draft already, and if my memory is correct regarding Shaheen, I wouldn't touch him and would go with another TE.

I haven't seen Brian Hill play, but know that he's pretty highly rated. Several weeks ago, I did some research on the number of carries in college that the RBs in the draft had and compared them with some recent top RBs selected in the draft. My memory is sketchy, but if I remember correctly he had a TON of carries in college, too many I think and I'm not sure he would last very long in the NFL. He could be a really good pick, but I have some concerns.

I really like the Toth pick. I just hope he's there in the 5th for us.

The idea of double dipping at CB is a good one.

I don't know the H-back you mention, but don't know that is really a need, especially if we get a good, 2-way TE.

I like the positions you addressed. If Dawkins is all you claim, then at the least he'd be a solid backup at OG, possible potential starter, and maybe possible backup or starter at OT as well. I also like that you didn't take a QB. I'm just not sure about the players you took, but it is interesting, and given me some more players to do some research on.