Latest Jets Transactions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Jun 2, 2015.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Update

#1 DaBallhawk, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Like it for most part, but find it hard to see Colon making it while Pace and Babin don't.

Also doubt we carry 7 WRs so doubt Graham makes it. Instead, I would probably keep another tackle ( Think Wesley has potential)

DaBallhawk likes this.
  3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

GREAT work on this. I'd hope we keep at least 1 of either Mays or Henderson--maybe over Simon.

The issue with putting Petty on the PS is he can be signed off of it by another team and I'm not sure if we get a chance to move him to the 53 if this is the case.

I think there may be a rule about emergency QB that does not count against the 45 game day actives. I'd expect this to be his status.

Now that I look at this again, I'm sure you mean Heaps to the PS.

#3 IDFjet, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    DaBallhawk likes this.
  4. DaBallhawk

Thanks guys. :)

@Turbocharged23
    Colon signed a 1 year veteran minimum (800k) deal, I think he's pretty much a lock to make the team. You can't get a better/cheaper backup guard and somebody who can come in any week and take over if one of the two starters go down. Plus he's a good locker room guy from what we've seen. Pace is similar in that area but he makes almost 2.5 mil. this year, he's not worth it. He doesn't play special teams, he can't cover, he's not that good of a pass rusher (probably our "worst" rushing LB), he just plays the run somewhat well and can set the edge. But we now have Coples to do that, he's twice the player when it comes to that and definitely a better pass rusher as well. I think we'll keep Babin around because he's a decent pass rusher and he doesn't make quite as much (around 1.5 mil.). But Pace has got to be a goner. We have too many "leaders" and veterans at the LB position in Harris, Babin, DD now, Coples is getting there, we don't need another one. Just the way I see it, but who knows, maybe Bowles really likes him. As for the 4th tackle, we have a bunch of guards who can play tackle. Dozier, Aboushi, Harrison. So it'd be a good way to save a roster spot by only having 3 tackles. Maybe a bit of a gamble. If Brick goes down (odds of that happening are slim) we're in big trouble, I don't really see anybody worth something being able to take over for him and not completely screw up this offense.

@IDFjet
    Petty makes it as the #3 QB. The guy on the PS will probably be Heaps, I think you mixed them up. ;)
    The fron 7 will be key when it comes to trimming the roster. It'll be interesting to see if Bowles likes Barnes as much as Rex did, because we did pick another big DT/NT in Simon in round 5 (?). Maybe we could trade him to the Bills if Bowles wants to move on with Simon instead.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  5. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Im excited to see which WRs make the roster. The 5 and 6 spots are up for grabs imo

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Nice job. You have Petty listed in the Practice Squad list, btw.

Man, the roster is so much better than last year.

OLB and WR spots are interesting battles. As is how the OL will shape out. Love to see Jarvis Harrison or Dozier make a statement

Turbocharged23 and DaBallhawk like this.
  7. DaBallhawk

You're right, my bad. Sorry @IDFjet. I just fixed it.

It's amazing how big of a difference a year makes. Last year around this time our top corners were Patterson and something called Phillip Adams or even converted safety Antonio Allen. Ridiculous. We went from that to Revis, Cro, Skrine, Dee, Marcus Williams, Dex, Darrin Walls. Bowles and Macc really did a great job. Same with the WR position.

Walt White likes this.
  8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

IMO, Pace and Freeman make the team. Pace is a veteran at a position that's relatively weak, and Freeman is the only backup C on the squad, and he performed well in limited action last year.

I'd drop Darrin Walls and Quincy Enunwa from the active squad for those two.

Also, I think unless Jarvis Harrison is REALLY impressive this preseason, he ends up on the practice squad and Winters makes the team for one final year.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Go in peace my brother jet :)

DaBallhawk likes this.
  10. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I understand your viewpoint about pace's salary but I think it's early to say a rookie or an unproven 2nd year late Idzik pick can start opposite Coples at this point. Maybe if they step up later in camp but right now hard to say we will go into the season with those 4 OLBs.

DaBallhawk likes this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

good thread and discussion...

Tough decisions to be made. Kept it 25 O, 25 D, and 3 ST for now. although i can see it swaying towards 26 D if we drop one down to 9 Olineman.
    My roster predictions as of OTA's:

Offense
    Quarterbacks
    (3)
    1. Ryan Fitzpatrick
    2. Geno Smith
    3. Bryce Petty
    Running Backs (3)
    1. Chris Ivory
    2. Bilal Powell
    3. Stevan Ridley
    Wide Receivers (6)
    1. Eric Decker
    2. Brandon Marshall
    3. Jeremy Kerley
    4. Devin Smith
    5. Chris Owusu
    6. T.J. Graham
    Tight Ends (3)
    1. Jace Amaro
    2. Kellen Davis
    3. Zach Sudfeld
    Offensive Lineman (10)
    1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    2. Breno Giacomini
    3. Wesley Johnson
    4. Nick Mangold
    5. James Carpenter
    6. Willie Colon
    7. Oday Aboushi
    8. Brian Winters
    9. Dalton Freeman
    10. Jarvis Harrison
    Defense
    Defensive Lineman (6)
    1. Sheldon Richardson
    2. Muhammad Wilkerson
    3. Leonard Williams
    4. Leger Douzable
    5. Damon Harrison
    6. T.J. Barnes
    Linebackers (8)
    1. Quinton Coples
    2. Calvin Pace
    3. Lorenzo Mauldin
    4. IK Enemkpali
    5. David Harris
    6. Demario Davis
    7. Jamari Lattimore
    8. Joe Mays
    Cornerbacks (6)
    1. Darrelle Revis
    2. Antonio Cromartie
    3. Buster Skrine
    4. Marcus Williams
    5. Darrin Walls
    6. Dexter McDougle
    Safeties (5)
    1. Calvin Pryor
    2. Marcus Gilchrist
    3. Jaiquawn Jarrett
    4. Rontez Miles
    5. Antonio Allen
    Special Teams (3)
    1. Nick Folk
    2. Ryan Quigley
    3. Tanner Purdum

Physically Unable to Perform (PUP)
    (1)
    1. Dee Miliner (CB)
    Practice Squad (10)
    1. Jake Heaps (QB)
    2. Dakota Dozier (OG)
    3. Trevor Reilly (TE)
    4. Davon Walls (DT)
    5. Deon Simon (DT)
    6. Quincy Enunwa (WR)
    7. Julian Howsare (OLB)
    8. Sean Hooey (OT)
    9. Daryl Richardson (RB)
    10. Taiwan Jones (ILB)

#11 BacktoQueens, Jun 2, 2015
    DaBallhawk likes this.
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

^ Like this too particularly Mays on the 53 with Simon on the PS--Don't see 10 OL on the 53 and would be surprised/disappointed if Harrison makes it over Dozier although I too think Harrison has the look of someone who can play in the NFL.

Would be interesting to see Bowles go with 5 safeties. I guess you are thinking maybe Miles comes off when Dee gets better, if ever?

BacktoQueens likes this.
  13. BacktoQueens

i think Mays makes it over Henderson and Jones, as he can play either ILB position, and is more versatile with coverage.

i think we need to keep 10 Olineman, short of some guys really separating themselves in camp.
    quick check on my math though, i need to cut 1 offensive player, probably Stacy to make this happen. i'll edit my post.
    Dozier will be directly competing with both Winters and Harrison imo. Harrison won't be cut, unless his attitude becomes an issue, and he'll be this years redshirt.
    So Dozier needs to show something in camp. He's been taking some snaps at C, so they are working him in the interior G/C positions. i was hoping he'd have some OT ability, as that would be his better chance at making team.

Miles i thought did enough on ST's alone to make the team last year.
    This year i think he pushes Allen for the backup SS spot, and maybe even takes it. 5 Safeties is really 1 too many, especially as we try to retain good DL talent. that will be a good competition.

to answer your Milliner question, he'll probably take the spot of another player heading to IR, once he's ready to come back from PUP.
    if everyone healthy, he'll take Walls spot.

14. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Wow so you see Cumberland as a goner? Not saying you are wrong but a very interesting projection.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

agreed, Pace is definitely making the team, and likely starting.
    i don't think it's even a question (provided he stays healthy and his play doesn't fall off a cliff)

Freeman i think makes it too.
    They've been trying out Winters and Dozier at backup C too, but both are converted OT's. Freeman is the better fit at C.
    Harrison they won't expose to the PS, as they won't risk losing him to another team. He'll be a redshirt.
    either Winters or Dozier are odd man out imo..

agreed Enunwa may make the PS if anything, not the 53.
    Walls could hold down a spot if Milliner goes on PUP.

#15 BacktoQueens, Jun 2, 2015
  16. DaBallhawk

Good stuff @BacktoQueens!

I'd have to disagree with some of the predictions. Freeman is a goner I think, there's no other reason you give Winters and Dozier reps at Center. If you had faith in Freeman you wouldn't throw other guys in there to see if they can handle it. I understand why, Freeman is just a center, he can't play any other position. And you don't really want a guy like that to take up another spot on the roster. It would be a shame though because Freeman has some potential, I think he might end up starting for somebody in a couple years. Mangold is one of the toughest and most reliable players in the league. You really don't need a quality backup center there, I think we'll be fine with a Dozier type to step in there in an emergency. Especially if that means keeping an extra guy like Barnes, Walls, Enunwa or Ridley on the roster.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. BacktoQueens

good eye..
    I'll start by saying i hate our TE unit. none of them can run block or pass protect, and none of them offer much if anything on ST's.

Gailey's system will put Amaro to good use as more of an H-back though. lined up behind LOS, often in motion, and out in the slot.
    this will create mismatches for him, and limit his blocking to trap blocks and the second level.

but we still need a true inline TE, especially considering i didn't roster a FB.
    Cumberland and Sudfeld don't fit that description, and will compete for 1 spot imo.

that leaves Davis by default for now, although i think they'll end up grabbing a TE during cuts, who is not currently on our roster.

18. BacktoQueens

we were pretty close on our predictions, only a few guys off here and there.

I'm predicting Freeman as part of the 53.......for now.
    he's no lock. If either Winters or Dozier can show more versatility than Freeman, i can see them taking the spot.
    until i see something from those guys, i like Freeman more.

you don't think 10 Olineman total though?
    to cut both Winters and Freeman, Dozier would have to show a whole lot at both G and C. we haven't seen anything from him yet, so i can't go there at this point.

Gailey has primarily used zone blocking in the past, so i guess everything is up for grabs until we see how these guys can handle that.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

However it turns out, they're going to have some tough cuts. At RB they may only keep 3, but could keep 4. All 4 are proven backs. On the DL it may be hard to cut vets Stephen Bowen and Ronald Talley, but I don't see a way to keep either. Similarly at OLB, I have a hard time cutting Pace, although I've wanted to for years. I think the Jets needs his experience, but can't see them keeping 5 OLBs. Perhaps Enempali or Reilly doesn't make the team.
    I agree with Turbocharged re Colon. In addition, imo unless Dakota Dozier can play center, there's no way Dalton Freeman doesn't make the team. I think he either replaces Colon or the Jets keep an additional OL. Also Harrison may not make the team, but because of his talent and the likelihood that some other team would sign him off the PS, the Jets will probably keep him if he works hard and shows any potential at all. I think Brewer sticks because of his ability to play both OT and OG.

I doubt that Taiwan Jones makes the team over either Erin Henderson or Joe Mays.

Copeland was pretty highly rated a year or two ago coming out of college. I don't know why he didn't make it wherever he signed initially, but if the Gailey plans to use a FB much at all, I wouldn't be surprised if Copeland makes the team.

I would expect Kellen Davis to make the team since he's the best blocking TE and could fill in as a FB.

I would be surprised if Ridley doesn't make the team at RB.

I may be mistaken but it seems to me that the Jets must like the UDFA WR Jonathan Rumph quite a bit. They gave him a 3-year $1.5 million contract. Isn't that high and unusual for a camp body? If so, then I could see him making the PS over Hakim.

I think they keep 4 RBs and no FB. I can't see them keeping 3 NTs. Simon is supposedly very raw, so I think he goes to the PS and Davon Walls is left out unless the Jets decide to keep both on the PS or maybe one of them beats out TJ Barnes.

I'm not going to speculate on the PS too much, because I know too little about the UDFAs. I will comment on a few prospects however. Rontez Miles may not make it. He seems like a good kid and had some tough luck last season, but since he's a holdover and fairly slow, I could see him not making it, but am giving him a shot. Wes Saxton seems to have the most potential (based on the reading I've done on each of the UDFAs), so I'm giving him a shot to make the PS. I have heard of Taiwan Jones before, and even though he is fairly slow, he seems to be a good player with good instincts, so he could stand a good chance of making the PS. As I stated above, with the big contract they gave Rumph, I would expect him to stick around, and he's their guy. Owusu, Graham, Evans and Hakim are holdovers. DeVier Posey may have a shot in there too if he's PS eligible.

Thus, my early prediction is as follows:

Quarterbacks (3)
    1. Geno Smith
    2. Ryan Fitzpatrick
    3. Bryce Petty ®
    Running Backs (4)
    1. Chris Ivory
    2. Bilal Powell
    3. Zac Stacy
    4. Stevan Ridley
    Wide Receivers (6)
    1. Eric Decker
    2. Brandon Marshall
    3. Jeremy Kerley
    4. Devin Smith ®
    5. Chris Owusu
    6. Quincy Enunwa
    7. ------------------------------
    8. DeVier Posey
    9. Saalim Hakim (PS)?
    10. Shaq Evans
    11. Jonathan Rumph (PS)?
    Tight Ends (3)
    1. Jace Amaro
    2. Jeff Cumberland
    3. Kellen Davis
      ------------------------------
    4. Wes Saxton ® (PS)?
    Offensive Tackle (4)
    1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    2. Breno Giacomini
    3. Ben Ijalana
    4. James Brewer
    5. -------------------------------
    6. Antonio Johnson ® (PS)?
    7. Wesley Johnson (PS?)
    Interior Offensive Line (6)
    1. Nick Mangold
    2. James Carpenter
    3. Oday Aboushi
    4. Dakota Dozier
    5. Dalton Freeman
    6. Jarvis Harrison ®
    Defensive Ends (4)
    1. Sheldon Richardson
    2. Muhammad Wilkerson
    3. Leonard Williams ®
    4. Leger Douzable
    Interior Defensive Line (2)
    1. Damon Harrison
    2. T.J. Barnes
    3. Deon Simon ® (PS)?
    4. Davon Walls ® (PS)?
    Outside Linebackers (4)
    1. Quinton Coples
    2. Lorenzo Mauldin ®
    3. IK Enemkpali
    4. Trevor Reilly
    5. Calvin Pace
    6. Jason Babin
    7. Julian Howsare ® (PS)?

Inside Linebackers
    (4)
    1. David Harris
    2. Demario Davis
    3. Jamari Lattimore
    4. Erin Henderson
    5. Joe Mays
    6. Taiwan Jones ® PS?
    Cornerbacks (6)
    1. Darrelle Revis
    2. Antonio Cromartie
    3. Buster Skrine
    4. Marcus Williams
    5. Dee Miliner
    6. Dexter McDougle
    Safeties (4)
    1. Calvin Pryor
    2. Marcus Gilchrist
    3. Jaiquawn Jarrett
    4. Antonio Allen
    5. Rontez Miles (PS)?
    Special Teams (3)
    1. Nick Folk
    2. Ryan Quigley
    3. Tanner Purdum
    Practice Squad (10)
    1. Wes Saxton (TE)
    2. Jonathan Rumph (WR)
    3. Deon Simon (DT)

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not true about Freeman. He also can play OG. You could be right about why Winters and Dozier are being tried at C, but it could be just a matter of competition for every spot on the roster. As for not needing a quality backup, you couldn't be more wrong. Have you forgotten just a couple of years ago when Mangold missed 2-3 games? He's tough, but also older and injuries happen. No way you go into the season without a quality backup at center. Losing Mangold would be a big enough hit on the OL, but not having a quality backup would just mean the Jets have to right off the rest of the season if Mangold is out for any time. You're saying Barnes or Enunwa are more important or valuable than a quality backup center? Whoa, dude, sorry, but I'm glad you aren't the GM or HC.