Late thoughts on McCarthy...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Goff isn't Goff though without McVay. McCay's system made Goff who he is today.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are reaching way too far. He went #1 overall in the draft and spent entire rookie year (biggest development) without McVay. He was poised to bust out with or without McVay.

3. HomeoftheJets

Do you remember his rookie year? He was terrible. Looked like a total bust until McVay showed up.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  4. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Has jeff fisher ever made anyone look good?

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Not only is it hard to find the next McVay. It's really hard to build the best overall roster in the NFL. As great as Mcvay's scheme and coaching is what stood out in the Dallas game last night was the OL and DL of the Rams. That was a physical bludgeoning. They literally beat the crap out of the Cowboys in the trenches.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Bust? He was a 21 (then turned 22 in season) year old rookie learning the ropes, didn't even start most games. Like I said - first year is when you learn the most, and second year is when you would hope to see some results. Don't take me wrong, I am not shitting on McVey here, all I am saying is that Goff is Goff with or without McVey. If Darnold can make the same leap this off-season, I am confident Gase will help him as much as McVey did Goff.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The problem i have with Gase is if he really is this offensive inovator and great head coach then Miami doesnt fire him.Great head coaches dont get fired after 3 seasons.Bowles even lasted longer then Gase did..The Gase hire just highlights how incompetent the Jets management team is. From the Johnsons down to Mac and everyone inbetween.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Plenty of great coaches got fired, including Caroll and Belichik. Not saying Gase is great, but that is not a disqualifier. I personally think Miami is a shitty team with a shitty QB - much like the Jets were in the past few years. And Gase overachieved there with 23-25 record, even with Tannehill injured most time. Does that make him a great coach? No, but he has enough previous accomplishments, where I do want to see what he can do with a good QB, which hopefully Darnold will become.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Agree

The Chiefs talent on the defense is also impressive. Funny how the great QBs always turn up on teams with a lot of talent

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The guys said this ----> IIMeanDeanII said:
    Nobody else was interested in, McCarthy. Dont get confused.

That was exactly the point of my reply

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

No disrespect ,,and I mean that but go check out what Goff looked like before MCvay got there. WE can only hope and pray that Gase is 1/2 the coach that Mcvay has shown he is.If Gase turns out to be a great coach come back and troll me,,,I hope until he wins or shows anything I really think the Jets blew this AGAIN

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Never worked for the military but I have seen 18 going on 19 years of watching the Johnsons get it wrong

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I bet Richie Rich the comic book Millionaire would do better ahahahah

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Read today that the McCarthy talks broke down just like the Rhule one did over control over hiring staff and that McCarthy basically walked away.

Just shows how fucked up the Jets organizational structure is, if you let your shitty GM who has done absolute horseshit of a job or your clueless owners have influence over a Super Bowl winning coach with a long track record of winning divisions and making platyoffs.

I understand a little about not wanting a staff of college nobodies that Rhule would have brought, but McCarthy would have brought NFL coaches in.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We should be thankful the Jets did this. No thank you to Joe Philbin or Ben McAdoo, who said Darnold isn’t a franchise QB.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yep i read the same article and walked away feeling disgusted.

NYJetsO12 and alleycat9 like this.
  17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

he said he was only interested in the jets to try and put pressure on them, the fact that other teams went and hired a bunch of qb coaches to be their head coach doesnt make mccarthy look bad, it makes them look bad.

add to that the fact we have a qb who could become very good, who isnt a spread guy i think it would make alot of sense for him to want to come to the jets, just so long as they let him have a pretty good size role in picking players. after all he probably realizes that our gm doesnt seem capable of picking draft picks or bringing in the right free agents.

and THEN the fact that he will get paid 7 million to stay at home with his family who are not interested in leaving green bay and id say mccarthy was in a real position of power to do whatever he wanted.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

Not true, as others have said good coaches can get fired (cough cough Belichick). Plus there were rumors Gase wanted to get fired, so he convinced Ross to fire him.

19. HomeoftheJets

Steve McNair, Vince Young (guy made a Pro Bowl once believe it or not), and Kerry Collins.

FJF likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

Goff didn't have a typical rookie season. He went 0-7 with 5 TDs, 7 INTs, and a passer rating of 63.6. The sort of season where if he wasn't the first overall pick he wouldn't have gotten another chance. Then the next year his game skyrocketed right out of the gate. And interestingly, he improved barely if at all in his third season. So I think McVay is a huge reason for his success.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.