Late thoughts on McCarthy...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I know I'm a bit late with these thoughts, but hearing that McCarthy was all in on the Jets and had no interest in any other team says a lot about how far we've come.

During the previous HC cycle including Idzik followed by Bowles/Macc we all knew no good HC candidates wanted anything to do with coaching our team. We were stuck with hiring HC wanna-bees and hoping for the best. No good coach would touch us with a 10 foot pole.

Fast forward to 2019 and the one HC with the best resume, including a SB win and Aaron Rogers, would ONLY consider the Jets. He wanted no part in coaching any other team. When the Jets job fell through, McCarthy decided to sit out the year.

Potential HCs see our team as a good up and coming, young, talented team with a FQB and heading in the right direction. We've never had that before.

Feels good!

Hopefully they're right.

Patriot and Mr mittens like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I take it you think Gase is a good coach? Because if you don't, then our current situation is sadder than our previous one.

alleycat9, NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I don’t agree that our situation is worse than with Bowles. I feel better about Gase developing Darnold waaaay more than I did about Bowles/Bates doing that.

Pepsiguy5, BudJet, Mogriffjr and 2 others like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sorry, let me clarify. By previous situation I meant when the Jets couldn't attract a good coach. The OP clearly thinks McCarthy is a good coach. So if he doesn't think Gase is good, that means for once we could have had a good coach but we passed on him. Which IMO is even worse. Unless of course Gase is a good coach. That changes things.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Nobody else was interested in, McCarthy. Dont get confused.

Quinnenthebeast and Jets69 like this.
  6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Okay I’ll say it since no one else will.

McCarthy only wanted the Jets because no one wanted him. We were the desperate team, like everyone always assumes and he knew that we were his only hope.

After we clearly began zeroing in on Gase he announces he’s taking the year off.

Of course you are Mike, NOBODY WANTS YOU.

Mr mittens likes this.
  7. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

He only wanted the jets when there were no other jobs left

8. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Picking a HC is sort of a crap shoot.

I wanted the Jets to choose Gregg Williams but it seems like he will be their DC. I think it is safe to say the Jets improved their coaches with Gase and Williams. Bowles or can I say Toilet Bowls sucked the big one, so there is a good chance the Jets future does now look more promising.

May the football Gods show mercy on the Jets!

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

In his own words:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...s-jets-or-bust-will-be-ready-to-go-next-year/

McCarthy was widely considered the top HC available this offseason. I didn't want him because of some IMO major red flags.

Gase was the other top candidate the Jets got their man.

Both of the top guys wanted the Jets job badly. For once it doesn't feel like the Jets got the option Z candidate no one else wanted instead the top guys wanted to come here and the Jets picked who they wanted.

Now they're hopefully bringing in Gregg Williams to run the D which would be incredible.

I see what the other teams with openings ended up with I'm not impressed. The Browns could've had Gase or McCarthy they ended up with Mayfield's yes man. A little success they've handed the key to the franchise to Mayfield not only that they lost Gregg Williams. We'll see how that goes for them.

It's a VERY exciting time to be a Jets fan I think.

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I see what other teams did and IMO they got a better coach. I would have been happy with anyone but Gase even MM.

Not only is Gase a very bad coach but he is immature, arrogant, has problems getting along with others, is simply not likeable and will be very hard to root for.

We have a team that will likely win with any coach even Gase but I still expect Gase to do his best Mangini/Groh and get himself removed due to problems getting along with others. The next 3 years (30 years in baseball years)will be tough to watch even if we win. Hopefully we will do better on our coach search in 2021.

That being said I do agree that we are a desirable job mainly because of Darnold but also because of the strong young core we have on defense in Adam's, Maye, Lee, Williamson, Leonard and Jenkins.

Not sure why there is not an official Fire Gase and fire the Johnsons thread.

11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm not happy with Gase but I'm very happy we didn't go after McCarthy... I'm not going to lie, this Gase hire makes me sick to my stomach, but I'm not going to spend the entire off season complaining about him .

Gase is our HC & I support him... until he gives me a reason to feel otherwise.

bmfc1, BudJet, CBG and 2 others like this.
  12. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

This was proven false. He didn’t want Cleveland because they wanted him to keep Kitchens.

CBG likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The difference is Sam Darnold. Coaches want to come to teams with star QBs, and Ssam showed he could be one. On McCarthy in general though, I wouldn't mind him, but I agree with others where he is far from a no brainer. With all the accomplishments he had, to post losing records with Rogers on the roster not once, but twice in a row is a huge knock. Also he developed a bit of a reputation for old dog with no new tricks and GB fans really think the guy is washed up. Now, he is only 55 and can turn this reputation around, but still, there are red flags here, where Gase may actually turn out to be the better choice for the Jets.

Footballgod214 and BudJet like this.
  14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Let’s be honest here Gase did noting in Miami to think he will be a good head coach.

He can definitely run off the talent though.

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Let’s see how the rest of the offseason shakes out before getting too excited.

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Help me out who else was interested in Gase ?

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think the AGITA is coming,,,

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Cmon guys..wasnt McCarthy the safer pick? he went "stale" but still had a ton of experience, people skills and a Championship. but the media wanted at least 2 or 3 Lombardis outa him given he had A Rogers,?? ,as if 1 was not enough? smh

One more SB would have been fine by me

Now for you younger guys..I guess Gase is ready to get Darnold to produce 2 SB wins lol

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

You know how hard it is to find the next Sean Mcvay ? You need to not only understand Offense but Defense and special teams = I heard Aikman say numerous times tonight that he is the total package. Im with you I think they blew this big time but time will tell

#19 CBG, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

This^^^
    And I’m super hyped to be a jets fan
    Future looking bright

Footballgod214 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.