Lasik tomorrow!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep, tomorrow is the big day. I'm having the proceedure done. Yeah, I know its a bit late in life to be doing this but I had to wait until they got the proceedure down pat. Its not cheap either. Very challenging in fact and not for those who are in financial distress. The cheap proceedures I would stay away from as this isn't getting your teeth cleaned by any stretch of the imagination.

In short, I'll be gone for a day or two. Can't be staring at computer screen for a bit.

Wish me Luck!

Cman

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Cman best of luck buddy , it will go just fine as I know many people who have had it done, heck the wife had it done 10 yrs ago,,,,,,just think of how well you will now be able to see the snow flakes oooops I mean fish lol

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well good luck boss. I hope it is an easy procedure for you. Since you can’t keep an eye on the board, can I just go ahead and ban CBG and FJF the snow whisperers?

dawinner127, Br4d, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  4. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

PRK, Lasik and the newer SMILE all scare me! It may be irrational fear, but I was looking into the risks involved since I'm at the age where I should consider getting them done, and there seemed to be a high rate of side effects (even if they were minor, like dry eyes or a bit of a halo effect at night). Any surgery to do with the eyes puts me on edge haha.

Good luck, I hope all goes well for you!

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Good luck Cman. I need to get this done too but I am too much of a pussy, maybe one day I will man up and go under the laser.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

A lot of my friends did it and they are happy folks. I wish I could get it done too. Due to my diabetes I am not qualified.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Good luck Cman, you'll have clear eyes to watch the team transform next season

Cman68 likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Good luck sir! Co-worker got his a few months ago and loves it

Cman68 likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Good luck c, best case scenario you are 20/20 in a few days, worst case...... you won’t be able to watch the jets this year. There’s no bad outcome here

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Good for you. A couple of things: after the proceedure they'll give you these 'breatheable' goggles with holes to put on. They'll want you to take a nap when you get home and the goggles will protect you against rubbing your eyes while you're out. I had this proceedure done and it was worth it. Leading up to the proceedure the opthamologist mentioned that the iris coloring of my particular baby blues were strong and would provide "great contrast" and asked if I would be willing to let this medical journal photographer film the proceedure--I said sure. All went well (the photog's lights were a little strong at times but not too-too intense). Here's the kicker: as they explained it to you upfront, they peel back the cornea and then reshape your eye (per the pre-op measurements you've already had). When they peel back the cornea, your ability to focus will be totally skewered and in my case (with the added lighting) the "shimmering light" was as if I were trying to see through a plastic bag filled with swirling water--your vision is totally warped: during this moment, this is the time to keep cool--it's just a normal phase during the proceedure when your sight (focus) is "in suspension."

They finished the job (does not take long), then had me chill out for a few minutes before moving me into a recovery area, but while I was sitting there, I remember looking over at a digital LCD clock in the distance and realizing: "hey, I can read the son of a bitch!" As for the photog: we chatted while I was recovering and it turns out (small world) she originally was going to follow her dad and becomoe an eye doctor herself but instead ended up doing medical journal work. Then she said told me that her dad and my dad (an opthamologist as well) were classmates at Georgetown Med.

Post-op appt: you may not have 20/20 vision right away. No sweat, neither did I. But week by week things "settled in" and I ended up 20/15. Again, good for you - you're gonna like what you see. :)

11. Cman68

Thanks for the "look" ahead Joe!

joe likes this.
  12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Good luck Cman. I got it done last year. I did thr older method where they sliced my cornea and then used laser.

It is expensive but if you have very bad vision it is a incredible investment. When you open your eyes after you take that nap when you come back home you will feel so differently.

How bad is your vision?

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I had it done. Was at 20/15 vision after the surgery. Now I'm 20/20. But the whole thing was super fast and painless.

My best advice is to sleep a crap ton Day 1. After that, the steroid drops will be your best friend.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Cman68

My issue is Astigmatism. Basically, my vision is pretty good. Somewhat farsighted. They're gonna do the cornea slice.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Cman, . Cman!.......how many fingers am I holding up??"
    [​IMG]

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Good luck! Had it done in '98 in NYC. It was right on the cusp of when they were perfecting it. I was blind as a bat, and had been wearing glasses since the 4th grade. I'll never forget waking up the next morning, opening my eyes, and going, "HOLY CRAP!" They somewhat undercorrected me. I wear a very light, mild RX sometimes when watching TV now, but that is also just age related at this point. I'm still good to go with driving, though. I can't find my way out of a paper bag, but that has nothing to do with my eyesight.

I find myself doing that back and forth to focus thing when I'm reading small print now (i.e. ingredients on a cold medicine bottle). Once you're in your early 50s and up, any eye surgeon worth their salt will tell you to just deal with glasses or contacts, because if you live long enough, you're gonna get cataracts, anyway. We ALL do. Then, you get cataract surgery, they put a lens in there, your vision is sharp as a razor, problem solved. It becomes counterproductive if you're borderline ancient, but people sometimes develop cataracts in their late 50s. If I didn't get Lasik in my 30s (I'm 54), I wouldn't get it done now, but that's just me.

I guess the real issue when based on your age is do you wanna be able to see great before you kick the pail or wait until you can barely see at all and then kick the pail. BTW, you can still get cataract surgery after Lasik. I was adamant about that information at the time. Word to the wise: ask for every single record on your calibrations, because you may need them someday (got 'em). Somewhat unrelated, I had a bad scare some years ago. I developed a floater (you know when you see a speckle?). Your brain eventually learns to ignore it (or ignore floaters plural). I freaked out. I thought my retina was detaching, and you do NOT screw around. Got an emergency visit with a local excellent Board Certified Eye Surgeon, and it turned out fine. Oddly enough, the eye without the floater is blessed with some weird conical/cup congenital abnormality. I am on vigilant glaucoma watch. It's one thing to be born blind, but being born with the gift of sight, no matter how flawed, and also being an artist, the thought of losing my vision put me in a tailspin. It was absolutely horrifying. Oh, and losing my vision as an artist, puns aplenty.

I also have dry eye. Uggggggggghhhhhhhh. Had it before Lasik, but it worsened after that, and dry eye is a side effect of Lasik. I don't use any RX meds for it, just artificial tears. The crazy thing about it is that your eyes water like a mofo sometimes. Again, Cman, good luck!

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

And yes, Cman, crazy expensive now. I paid $3,000 back then. My folks passed away within a year of each other, and after everything went through probate and was finalized, I got a small inheritance from their hard-working, blood sweat and tears humble existence. I treated myself to Lasik and a breast reduction (yeah, I'm a small girl, and those things were breaking my neck. I damn well right appealed the denial and got it approved through our insurance company at the time that it wasn't cosmetic - it wasn't). I paid $50 coinsurance, got it all covered as well as the hospital stay when they wanted to boot me out same day. Hell no, I'm stayin'. Our Tailgate: WHO THE HELL MAKES THEIR TITS SMALLER?! Sigh. Screw you, Woody Johnson.

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Wish I was a rich fisher-cman

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

My father got Lasik when he was 64. He needed glasses 3 years later.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Probably reading glasses. Due to age. They havent solved that yet. Unless your father did not have a grear surgery

Royal Tee likes this.