Landlord/Tenant question

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by thedonger, Feb 27, 2018.

1. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

for those that are legally inclined or just have general knowledge of situations like this(and no, of course I don't hold any obligation towards strangers on an Internet forum lol, just putting some feelers out there to see if it's worth pursuing)

I have a situation with my landlord where she wants to come and inspect our basement, which obviously we have no problem with in and of itself. The problem is we have 2 dogs one being a puppy, and both my wife and I are out of the house from 9:30-7:30(sometimes 6). The other is the fact that we have a trust issue with her, part of the reason which lead to us mutually agreeing to end the lease a few weeks early. And the landlord says she'll only come at 1-2, tomorrow Thursday or Friday while we are not home.

We don't feel comfortable confining them to one room the entire day, and if we leave them out, we don't want to run the risk of 1. One of them running out into the street when the landlord domes in and 2. One of them nipping the landlord and us getting sued over it. Now 2 is fuzzy as she verbally said she's willing to take the risk should anything happen and not hold anything over us, which is wishy washy to us as we do have that ongoing trust issue.

After speaking to her, asking her to come at a time when on of us are home, like before 9:30 or after 7(my wife even offered to come home early one day like around 5) or even on the weekend any time, she stood her ground and kept saying only those 3 days at 1-2. Finally, after going around in circles, she said we are coming at 1 tomorrow and this is your 24 hour notice. Was doing some research on this and it seems the law favors her side. Is this the case or do we have any possible recourse?

Thanks fellas in advance.

2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I have rental properties and it is written in my lease that I can access the property if needed with notice.

Depending on what your actual lease states there is probably nothing you can do.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

She cannot enter your apartment without your permission, but it depends on the local laws as well.

What is the inspection for? Can't she enter the basement from an outside door that won't involve going through your apartment? that will allow you to leave dogs in apartment where she does not have to come in through.

In ct where I worked as a Fire Mashal we had these situations come up all the time, and owners wanted to go into apartments at their leisure, when they found out they could not, they would call the fire Marshall office to use our authority but that did not work out because we couldn't go in unless exigent circumstances were present.

4. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

This is pretty much what I was assuming from reading the NJ statutes. Thanks for the input!

5. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

It's actually a 2 floor multi-family house where we occupy the 1st floor along with the basement. There is no separate entrance into the basement and all utilities(electrical panels, hot water, heat) for both units run through it. Thanks for your help!

Red Menace likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Pretty sure you can deduct your lost wages for accommodating her from your rent

7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

After seeing your post I emailed to my lawyer friend who is Turkish. Read this as double bastard. He said as long as they give you 1 day notice there is not much you can do.

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

As stated, generally 24 hours notice is the minimum required notice unless it is an emergency situation. Most states have the same law. If you have a friend or neighbor that are good with your dogs I would go that route. Have them meet her there, put up the dogs and then stay on her heels as she goes through.

10. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

Wow, thanks again for all the responses, and thanks brook for checking in with your lawyer friend!