Lamar Jackson 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Sep 3, 2017.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fair assessment. Thanks.

2. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Did anyone watch the full game today? I only saw the last two minutes so I couldn’t really see a lot of Lamar.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He had a pretty terrible outing. Very disappointing.

GQMartin, hwismer, TonyFtLaud and 4 others like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He had a ton of passes sail on him today. I'm pretty disappointed as well.

GQMartin and Jetsfansince95 like this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I only saw the very end of the game where MSU scored to make it 31-27. Jackson had the ball with about 3:50 to go in the game. I figured Louisville would win, but he threw a pick, his fourth of the game. MSU tried to run out the game clock but got thrown for a big loss going for it on 4th down. Jackson got the ball back again with about 1:30 to go and no timeouts but was sacked twice. He showed some arm talent on the last play heaving a 60 yard Hail Mary that was batted away. There is no question that he has the best legs of any QB in the draft, but his passing is a big question mark.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I saw the game, if he didn't have the ability to run he would be considered an 8th round pick. He was atrocious and anyone who thinks he's pro ready is just wrong.

He can't identify the blitz, his progressions were bad, he needs to stay in school and continue to develope.

4th round pick if he comes out, no way he is a top ten pick this year, let alone a first round pick.

The excuse has been that he has no talent around him, that is just not acceptable, every college football team lacks superstars. Only a handful of teams are stacked.

Bottom line is, he's not ready.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  7. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Watched the entire game and agree with all of the above ...

8. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Not worth a damn ... he along with JT Barrett belong in the 4th round

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He was bad today. He really has to fix that footwork. One game doesn't make a full season

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

Now, the reason he was bad was because he was missing throws. It wasn't due to him not identifying the blitz. He can read the defense. He was just straight up missing throws.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

101, I know how you feel about him but the bottom line is he is not ready and there is nothing you can say to defend him anymore.

The proof is on the field, if he did not have the ability to run, he would not even be considered a draft pick worth taking as a project.

He needs to go back to school.

12. 101GangGreen101

1 bad game isn't going to erase his entire season that's all I am saying. He needs to declare for the draft, take the off season to work on his footwork and I think he'll be a first rounder. Playing in college, I don't think it's going to help. All of his interceptions were correlated to his lower body mechanics. He will get better. This hands down was his worst game.

I would still take him, perhaps you can get in in the late first as opposed to the lottery. I'm disappointed in his play today though.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Correct. Think he hurt his value.

Also those drop backs and then rush up the middle, WITHOUT sliding, will have in him concussion protocol in the NFL.

I would pass on this guy.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I agree.

Furthermore I think you have to ignore the rushing stat line completely if you’re the NFL team looking to draft him. Some of the lanes he took today would get him hurt in the league.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He needs to go back to school and learn to use his legs, hips, and shoulders when he throws. Hook up with a QB coach and work on his throwing motion.
    He can do it. Footwork and rotation.

If he came out now and played like that I'd bet money he'd get hurt running the ball. He's gotta throw better and then use his running skills at opportune times...pick his spots.

He'll have to show that at the Combine, his Pro Day, and private workouts, if he comes out and expects to be a high draft pick

That young QB on MSU looks like he could have a nice career there.

Looking forward to watching Mayfield.

101GangGreen101 and Red Menace like this.
  16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Same dude. If Mayfield pulls a Michael Jordan and has a career day while having the flu. Guy is set.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He looks to be a long term project QB with a lot to work on. More in the Bryce Petty/ Geno Smith talent range than a 1st round pick. It was not a pretty game today from the mental side to the fundamentals of the position.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

Cept for the fact that Bryce and Geno played in spread offenses that didn't allow them to go through his reads. Lamar has missed throws, but I see his issues as fixable / coach-able. Still does things you cannot teach and has one of the stronger arms in the draft. It's not a mental issue. It's all lower body mechanics, and if I can get him to fix his footwork, he'll probably have one of the highest upsides in the draft.

Lamar probably hurt his stock, but it's amazing we crap on Lamar for throwing 4 picks, but no one blinked an eye when Falk threw 5 against California.

FJF likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

That's all it comes down to, and his progression from year to year shows me he can do it. He doesn't need to go back to school, he needs to work on his footwork with a good QB coach. 1 game ain't going to ruin his stock completely.

Walt White likes this.
  20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He's easy to like, and seems like he could definitely accomplish it. So I hope he can concentrate on that. I suppose watching at the Combine will give a clue too.
    All these QB's have question marks and it's a matter of which guy or guys will take the next step. The tough part is guessing which one, and maybe getting lucky. For our sake I hope they all come out to give us a bigger choice and more options. We need all the luck we can get.

101GangGreen101 likes this.