Lamar Jackson 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Sep 3, 2017.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

They are really hitting out there.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

good patience in the pocket by Jackson on this drive so far, almost got sacked earlier and still completed a pass for a 1st ... seems to have some decent lower body strength

3. 101GangGreen101

4. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Kid is amazing.

5. 101GangGreen101

Lamar Jackson continuing to show improvement in the pocket, WINNING from the pocket. Picking and choosing when to run. Strong live arm, missed on a few throws moreso the out-routes medium range, but very accurate down the seams. He's making reads post snap, but some of the times you do catch him staring down receivers, but one thing at a time in terms of his development.

Next week is a big test against Clemson.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's looked great today. Let's say we win 5-6 games miraculously and end up at 5-8. The 'big three' (if Allen is considered a part of that) are all gone. Do we take Lamar Jackson and hope he continues to develop as a passer, or run a Cam Newton style offense with him til his legs give out?

I'm intrigued. Russell Wilson wasn't as dynamic of a runner but he was a successful passer early on in his career because of that dual threat ability that loosened defenses up. Now he's developed as someone who can beat you from the pocket when the legs aren't working.

The big question is if Lamar Jackson can do that moving forward and as a pro.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

Good question indeed, we will need to see more of Jackson as he plays better teams defensively. I was on the Josh Allen bandwagon earlier, but man I watch Jackson and I see a superior player. Not as big as Allen, but more dynamic and a better decision maker. I look at the Seahawks model and I think Jackson fits that type of offense. Throws down the seam, bootlegs, playaction. Use the short passing game to set up the vertical passes down the field. Create open space for the play-makers. I wouldn't run the Newton offense because Newton is physically imposing. Much stronger and harder to bring down, but I think Jackson easily trumps Newton in the short passing game.

I hope Jackson doesn't break down cause hes doing everything for that team.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

That's true. They run a lot of up the gut QB draws because of Cam's imposing stature. More along the lines of Seattle's offense.

If I remember correctly Seattle opened the season against the Packers a couple years ago and Darrele Bevel called a game of beauty. Options, reverses, bootlegs, etc. where every single play set up the next one.

It was awesome. I wonder if we would consider him as a head coaching candidate next year. He was also an assistant QB coach/QB coach for the Packers for six years. Reminds me a bit of how the Buccaneers named Koetter their head coach solely to develop Winston.

9. 101GangGreen101

Whoever the next coach is, needs to know how to develop and tailor the offense around that QBs skill-sets. Morton has had experience with Kaepernick, but I would definitely entertain a young offensive mind to mold the offense. Have a coordinator teach the D.

NCJetsfan, Brook! and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Jackson is more Mike Vick than he is Cam Newton. He's put on some muscle, but he'll never be running between the tackles like Cam does.

Jackson's ceiling is off the charts, but he still has a lot of work to do on his throwing mechanics. He sails a lot of passes because he rushes the throw down field, and he needs to drive through his throw when he throws his out routes. Right now he's putting too much air under those throws. He has the arm strength, so it should develop.

His game at Clemson next week will answer a lot of questions. I'm excited to see how he does.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

I wasn't making the comparison to Cam at all. I was just saying that the team that drafts Jackson needs to run an offense like Carolina does with less power runs though. Option football, three backs in the backfield, jet motion fakes, that sort of thing.

12. rockyusmc2003

Gotcha.

That's a scary proposition. He's smaller than RG3, and we know how that whole thing turned out. I'd rather just have a pocket guy that can run when he needs to, rather than having a guy that gets overused running the ball. My personal opinion.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Fair enough. It worries me too. But I also see Russell Wilson who is more compact but still on the smaller side at 5'11" 215.

Injury will always be a concern for Lamar Jackson. You don't want him to pack on muscle and lose his elusiveness. He is awfully lanky though and there's no better comparison for him than Mike Vick in terms of play style combined with body type (although 3 inches taller than Vick).

Vick did an OK job staying healthy given how he played.

14. rockyusmc2003

His upside intrigues me. Trying to stay level headed and not pick a favorite yet. It's only game two, but I'm excited to see how it unfolds.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

After today's performance he could definitely be on track to be the second 2x Heisman winner. He was incredible today.

I think I'd like to stay away from him as a pro player though because of the reasons you mentioned (re: injury). He'll also take the correct coaching staff to develop him and use him correctly while also protecting him, which we don't have in place at the moment.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

I think his throwing mechanics absolutely fine in terms of the arm itself, but I look at Jackson and look at his feet on those throws. Needs to do a better job setting his feet, and body towards the receiver.

17. rockyusmc2003

Agreed, he needs to work on that. But if you compare last year to this year, the growth is promising. Still a scary pick for me to make, unless the Jets somehow slide out of the top 5.

18. 101GangGreen101

We still need to see the full body of work, especially against more complex defenses. Not ready to officially crown him yet, but I think he's right there with Rosen and Darnold.

Can't wait for the Clemson game.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

DRAFT THIS BEEEEEEEAAASSSTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

geno smith was not a dual threat qb prospect