Lamar Jackson 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

While I respect your opinion I do not see this being a good year for Jackson. In previous years teams would have been much more likely to reach for a risky QB with a round 2 or 3 grade early and take him in round one. This year at best he would be the 5th QB off the board and I would argue that Rudolph is a prospect that would appeal to a lot more teams than Jackson. Not to mention that this has been an unprecedented year for FA QBs. Teams have invested quite a lot already before the draft in QBs and the draft is quite deep in mid tier prospects like Jackson. There simply is not the value there when teams can just as easily wait 3 or 4 rounds and take another risky developmental project. Hopefully he gets drafted in round 2 but that is no sure thing. He has a chance of a team trading up into back end of round one to get a 5th year option but that is his only likely chance of seeing the 1st round unless he watches it as a spectator. Better for him to take Thursday night off do something fun and hope he has better luck on the Friday.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am sorry but this is some sort of rant. Really doesn't have to do with Jackson as a prospect.

He's a first rounder

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

4. legler82

Check down city over here.

5. legler82

I stand corrected. @101GangGreen101's #1 exclusively as Chris Simms has rescinded his endorsement.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

@legler82 What's your opinion on Jackson? RPO QB?

7. 101GangGreen101

He was never my #1 QB though ... he was my top 3 ... He looked good today, short / medium and down the field. He looked better outside the #s ... better pro day then the combine. Hes gonna be a great QB for someone that knows how to utilize his talents.

Simms has him in the top 3. Allen is #1 I think in his opinion.

#327 101GangGreen101, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  8. legler82

Until he can start using his lower body to throw the ball I can't buy in. His consensus 5th ranking among the QBs is about right.

9. legler82

His deadlock ranking is as follows:
    1. Allen
    2. Rosen
    3. Mayfield
    4. Jackson
    5. Darnold

He is team Jackson like you; he had him #1 a week ago but changed it after further research. He said Mayfield and Jackson are super close. He is concerned about Jackson having his mom as his agent and what he heard that Jackson was not very good on the white board. He said Allen was the safest in the class; he has the lowest floor (middle of the pack NFL QB) and highest ceiling (athletic Aikman) along with Jackson.

I f*cks with Simms. He had Mahomes as his #1 last year; Wentz and Carr in their respective classes.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I posted this elsewhere but found it interesting

So i went back and looked at some mock drafts from last year and where they had the top 4 Qbs going. pretty much none of them predicted even close. most had them going way later (which could be why we see so many QB heavy mocks this year) most had the 1st QB off the board at 12 to cleveland (trubisky) this was the closest one I found
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696408-2017-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-post-combine-projections

They have trubisky going 3rd to the bears (they traded up to 2 to take him)
    They have watson in the 10 spot to the bills (most predicted watson going in the 2nd round or late 1st) Watson went 12th to the texans but the chiefs traded up to 10 and grabbed mahomes
    They have the texans taking kizer at 25. kizer went in the 2nd to the browns, but the texans did trade up for watson
    They have the chiefs taking mahomes at 27.

So they predicted the chiefs to take mahomes (correct), the bears to take trubisky (correct) and the texans to take a QB (they traded up to 12 for watson when he had watson already off the board in the 10 spot, which did wind up being a QB) he also predicted watson would go in the mid 1st round when many had him pegged in the 2nd.

That was the closest one to what happened i could find

If we take the same guys 2018 mock
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ers-latest-predictions-with-1-month-remaining

he's got darnold at the 1 spot to cleveland

the jets take Allen at 3 (giants take chubb at 2)
    Analysis: My belief has been throughout this process that the Jets covet Josh Allen. I reported back in November sources at Wyoming told me no team has done more work on Allen than the Jets. He's a big (6'5", 233 lbs), athletic, strong-armed quarterback with the ideal tools to run offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates' scheme.

Broncos take mayfield at 5

Bills trade up to 6 for rosen

he doens't have jackson in the 1st at all

11. 101GangGreen101

I might need to check out his new pod-cast. I wonder why he had such a change of heart with Rosen. From 5 to 2.

I've heard the same about Jackson, to me he's just a gamer, but I don't see him as a guy that would win people over with the whiteboard. He might have the best track record as of late.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. legler82

Simms has been more right about how they turn out than the order they get drafted.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that at all, just saying the guy i quoted seems to do the best out there with picking what teams like what QBs

Edit: Funny enough, I did say I felt jackson had a good shot to be the best in the class and in my early mock before we traded up, I had us trading down with the bills for their 2 picks in the 20s and their 2nd rounder (before they traded up to 12) and grabbing jackson and an OT in the 1st

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks legler!

I'll say I still like Rosen the best. And I have to say that I can't pit my very amateur knowledge against Simms (or you), but when I hear Simms talk about Allen and his moving in and around the pocket, it doesn't jibe with what I see. It makes me scratch my head - "WTF am I seeing? WTF are they seeing?" Given Simm's knowledge and experience, I have to accept his assessment, meaning that while still like Rosen the best, and think Mayfield could be special too, I won't slit my wrists if it's Allen. That said, if Allen IS that good, he might not be there at 3.

This clip you provided was VERY informative, and while it went against my assessment of Allen, it DID confirm my assessments of the other guys more or less. Thanks for posting it!

15. legler82

In the end the bold is all I want from Jets fans.

Allen is the 2nd easiest evaluation of the top 5 QBs behind Rosen IMO. Once you can reconcile the production, or lack there of, you can see all the NFL translatable stuff right there on tape. There's very little left to question or have to project. I see the high ceiling but I don't see the low floor everyone else is talking about. By all accounts, he checks off all the boxes off the field so where's the big bust potential? WTF am I NOT seeing? At worst he's a guy you can grind out ugly wins with as Wyoming did. At best you end up with the most physically gifted QB in the draft, or by this time next year, in the league who happens to be uber competitive, very driven with a huge chip on his shoulder despite his talent, smart and coachable. We could do a lot worst.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Lefkoe is a frat brother. Great guy.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The bold is the key aspect for me with Allen.

But there is another aspect that comes into play IMO: how well will he do in NY if he struggles, a la Hackenberg? And by that I don't mean that he is anywhere near as bad as Hack, but if he comes in and makes some really poor throws/decisions, how quick will fans jump to the conclusion based on our fears of being burned, not just by Hack, but by all the other busted QBs? That is where I see a problem in NY, but not a problem in Cleveland, Buffalo, or even Denver.

Now maybe, Allen is tough enough, and good enough to withstand that firestorm and win everyone over after he proves those bad games aren't the norm for him, but that's a pretty big IF. Macc & Bowles & Allen are all going to have a big pair of brass balls to handle this, but if they do, maybe Allen can become the long lost Jets FQB.

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I know that completion percentage doesn't tell the whole story about a QB's accuracy, but the fact that Allen had a sub 60% in his college career makes me wonder if that number will go up when he faces better and more complex defenses in the NFL. I do see signs of a high ceiling QB, so I won't throw a fit if he's the guy picked at 3.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. legler82

1st round QBs get long leashes, even longer if traded up for; this forces patience upon fan bases. The only people that would need to worry about Allen or any QB we draft struggling early is Macc & Bowles.

Rockinz likes this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Man, I would have been very happy trading down to Arizona 15 and taking Jackson and having a handful of 2,3 rd picks to build this team.
    Better get it right mac