Lamar Jackson 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Sep 3, 2017.

1. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

my bad wanted to post a gif of brian dwakins murdering vick but the link didnt direct there point is i doubt he can handle nfl hits

2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

It's a valid point, and yes, generally QB's who depend on running are of greater risk to injury than pocket passers but we've also seen that mobility as defined as the ability to move away from pressure and make a play, as with QBs Wilson, Prescott Rodgers, etc., are valuable assets. All QBs take off and run from time to time. Heck, even "old man" McCown did his share last season. If Jackson, attempts to run like he did in college, agree, he is liable to get hurt, but if he can harness that agility without such risk, he could be something special. Another point is that, we can't really know what a prospective QB's susceptibility to injury is. From the record, it appears Jackson did not miss any games in 3 years doing a lot of running. Some QB's can take a pounding (E. Manning, Brady, Rivers) and others break as soon as you breath on them (Bradford, RGIII). Hard to really know that in advance. People have raised Rosen's susceptibility to injury, but that doesn't seem to have hurt his stock any.

Freddy Mondo and FJF like this.
  3. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Rosen has a lot of flaws in his game but all of them have tbh , all im saying is that if my job is on the line i take Darnold but thats my eye test and his personality fits more in what i belive a QB should be thats all , if i have to take a QB in this draft i mean if you force me to do it i move up to 1 for Darnold with eyes closed and yes i know he is not perfect but in my eyes he is safer and good upside.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not only that, but if you watch you notice he doens't just take off, he keeps his eyes downfield looking to throw first when he buys time

All Gas No Shake and westiedog1 like this.
  5. westiedog1

Can't argue with that. We all have our preferences, but I would be OK with any of the top 6 prospects.

6. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Of all the quarterback prospects, he's the one that I've been coming around to more and more. Honestly, he does remind me of Vick. I love watching his replays. Slight accuracy issues but his positives are great. There's no throw he can't make. He can stand in the pocket when he needs to. He moves his feet on passing plays and stays mobile to extend the play and give his receivers time to get open. He can run with the ball, just needs to start sliding as he'll get killed otherwise. A lot of smart decisions. Some incredible numbers despite playing for a mediocre school. Lots of college experience. I think this kid can be great.

All Gas No Shake and westiedog1 like this.
  7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

FWIW, here's the Voch Lombardi breakdown of Jackson:

I'm not an expert, but I don't disagree with any of Voch's analysis on Jackson. He's a playmaking kid with great vision/speed. As a passer, he has patience and can step up, but he has to fix his feet. Voch didn't go too much into Jackson's delivery, but it's smooth -- holds the ball high, sound arm mechanics -- and the results speed for themselves. Ball just flys out of Jackson's hand.

It would be great if the Jets would solve their edge rush need in FA, which would allow a trade with the Raiders/Niners at 9/10 and picking up more picks.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

His footwork is horrid at times, if you watch the bowl game, his lower body is literally pointed in the opposite direction of where he's throwing the ball. It's frustrating to watch at times, but if he's a hard worker as he's shown in college, this should be something that can be fixed rather quickly.

#268 101GangGreen101, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Red Menace and NoodleArm like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

11. westiedog1

The latest from the Combine has a number of teams requesting that Jackson work out as a WR. I would tell them to go frisk themselves, although I wouldn't use the word "frisk."

12. 101GangGreen101

Lamar strictly to work out as a QB tomorrow. He won't run the 40.

Go get em LJ!

Freddy Mondo and westiedog1 like this.
  13. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Bold. Sounds like he wants to prove himself.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

as he should, I was hoping he would do this

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of Jackson, but there is no way he should be getting as disrespected as he is right now. If Pryor was worth getting 3 seasons at QB, then Jackson definitely deserves a chance to be a QB.

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Sailing throw everywhere today. Also threw a really bad ball over middle.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing/posting this. Good stuff. It's made me decide to look at a lot more video of Jackson. Based on what the QB Coach says, I think the narrow base could probably be fixed. If what Greg Cosell said about QBs not being able to change their throwing motion is accurate, then what that QB Coach said about the lack of height in Jackson's elbow when throwing, would be a cause for some concern about Jackson winding up with rotator cuff issues, or a chronically sore shoulder. I'll see if this is an issue as I watch more video of Jackson.

18. NCJetsfan

I think it's probably because of his relatively slim build. Even though he's fast and athletic, it probably wouldn't take too many big hits for him to wind up on IR. That's the thing that concerns me most about him. I think the same thing about Rosen. At least Jackson is more mobile and has greater maneuverability/escapability, so he's probably likely to take fewer big hits than Rosen.

19. NCJetsfan

I agree that is a concern. Bates supposedly is very bright, so he may be able to be creative enough, but the question remains whether Bowles would allow him to change the offense to include more RPOs. It already has a pretty fair number of shotgun snaps in it, so that could be of some benefit to Jackson.

The Jets' ability to use him properly and his the prospects of his getting hurt running the ball or damaging his shoulder due to his throwing motion (low elbow) are what concerns me most about him.