Lamar Jackson 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Sep 3, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Can't wait until his combine. If he shows any improvement in his footwork, we need to just take him at 6.

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

At this point I would be excited with any of Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson or Darnold and there’s no way they’re all gone before 6. I think this is actually a rare case of a QB class living up to the preseason hype.

Also it’s funny that “pro-style offense” was a conversation topic for Teddy coming out of Louisville but it’s completely ignored for Lamar. I guess everyone just assumes they use a gimmick offense because he’s a good runner.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

If anyone actually watched a lick of Lamar this year, they would know he runs a progression offense, that also takes into his account his running ability.

He's not going to change positions. Cunningham was the first, then came Vick, now enter Lamar Jackson.

I would take Jackson over Mayfield for sure, but this class is everything we thought it would be. Could rival the 83 draft.

NYJFOREVER and Big Cat like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have pretty much changed my mind about Jackson. Earlier, I didn't want him, but now I think I'd be happy with him.Heck, even Allen is starting to look more impressive. The one top QB that I continue to have little interest in is one that many Jets fans still covet. Darnold. I like some things about him, but there is still too much I don't like. Right now, I'm rooting for Mayfield, Jackson, Rosen, Allen, Darnold in that order. Rosen is one of the most accurate and probably is the one most ready to start day one, but his concussions really scare me, as does his attitude, and his thin frame.

5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i hear what youre saying but they played in different systems

6. 101GangGreen101

It's not the same exact offense as Charlie Strong's Pro Style offense, but the a lot of the concepts are the same. Still has to go through progressions, knowledge of route tree, take snaps under center.

Oh just some news about Lamar telling the naysayers about him being a WR

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-calls-discussion-of-switching-to-wr-annoying

7. 101GangGreen101

The nuthuggers are coming:

8. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I don't want Jackson at 6. He will be there at the bottom of the first round so package up a 2nd rounder and Robby Anderson and go get him between 25-31.

9. 101GangGreen101

110% disagree with your draft idea here bud. If he's your guy you take him, don't gamble. There is a huge chance he goes 15 to the Cardinals. I don't think he's going 25-31 at all.

Hell no on trading Robby ... Jackson to Robby is like the new Vick to Jackson

10. Jay Bizniss

I don't want to trade Robby either from a talent perspective but he is dumb as rocks off the field and eventually will be a huge headache. I really think the 6th pick is way too high to take him Lamar. Maybe drop down to that 10-13 range and pick up an extra 2nd rounder if someone wants to trade up and do that, but 6 no way.

11. 101GangGreen101

You are really trying to gamble with that I think ... I don't think it's way too high if you got a team at 15 trying to take him. You move down, a team could move up in front of you when you could've had him earlier. I think he's going to tear up the combine and his stock will continue to rise. He already has a mid to end first round grade. Combine, pro days, stock will increase.

I'll easily take him at 6 over Mayfield that is for sure.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  12. Jay Bizniss

I would deff prefer Mayfield over Lamar. Lamar had a shitty year last year losing to some real crappy teams. Mayfield is a winner and that is exactly what this Jet team needs.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Ok, I've warmed up to the idea of taking Jackson. Still think I'd take Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield before Jackson.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing that stood out about Nick Foles in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl was how comfortable he was in the RPO that Pederson and company decided to run. It was clear that they wanted Foles playing in a system he could be great in and they wanted that at all costs.

Lamar Jackson is probably going to require a similar commitment from the team he goes too. Trying to plug him onto a WCO could well fail.

On talent I think Jackson is worth a 1st round pick and maybe even the 6 pick. Talent isn't the only thing involved though and it will be interesting to see if any team is willing to adapt to his strengths to get a potential franchise QB out of him. I think the Minnesota proposition is a good one. I'm also curious as to what the Cardinals will do now that Arians has left the building.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Want no part of this.

Jackson, with his run style, will incur a substantial injury while playing in the NFL.

16. 101GangGreen101

Yup, just like Aaron Rodgers having 2 collarbone surgeries and Carson Wentz injuring his ACL. I bet you would love to take those 2 right?

Also, I believe I mentioned that his game will adjust at the next level. There won't be nearly as many run designs.

17. 101GangGreen101

Yet, you fail to take into account Lamar's team vs Mayfield's team. Mayfield has the best supporting cast out of any of the QBs in this class.

Take a nice read.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/20...draft-qbs-stats-based-on-defensive-rank-faced

BTW he did not have a shitty yr.

18. Jay Bizniss

That Oklahoma defense that Mayfield had was ranked 81 - Louisville ranked 58. Mayfield deff had some weapons on offense to work with but so much was put on his shoulders because that defense was horrendous.

Oklahoma beat Ohio State, TCU twice, Oklahoma State and came this close to beating Georgia to go to the National Championship game.

Louisville got destroyed by Clemson and barely eeked by a struggling Florida State team.

What quality wins did Louisville have this year?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I appreciate you are really high on Jackson, I just don't see him ever getting to Wentz or Rodgers' level.

Also, just because less runs are designed or called for still does not eliminate his ability to run. The ability to run, and run really well, will always serve as an "instinctual" survival tool in the pocket which may lead to mis-reads or no-reads at all.

This is why some feel his passing is lagging behind his development.

20. 101GangGreen101

The Big 12, is notorious for bad defenses and great offenses. No one plays defense in the Big 12. TCU the one that you usually associate defense with, had a down year being ranked at 35. Again, Baker Mayfield and Oklahoma had a great offense and put up great #s ... Georgia really shut down Baker in the 2nd half though, the pressure def got to him.

Again, you are still missing the point. Lamar was going into those games pretty much as a 1 man army. How many NFL caliber players can you name on Oklahoma? Then compare that to Louisville.There's at least 3 first rounders on the Oklahoma offense. Louisville had Lamar Jackson with probably the worst line in Power 5 Football. 1 good receiver in Jaylon Smith. Read the link I provided you and tell me he played bad against those teams, completely outmanned. Regardless w/ that he still made good decisions with the football.