Lachlan Edwards - Extremely Inconsistent

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Were this Scott's stats for last season alone? His stats for his first season were amongst the best in the country.

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Think about that for a minute, he was great in 2014 but started dropping in 2015 and in 2016 he was just ok. Does that sound like someone you want to draft?

3. Leicester Jet

Many players go through a sophemore slump and even you admit that he is still one of the better players last year. I still think he has been one of the best punters over all 3 years and I bet he has a better and longer career in the NFL than Lachlan Edwards. Just my opinion, thats all.

4. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

I would rather they signed a punter who's better than Reggie Roby in his prime. Actually, about five times better than Roby. I'd like this punter to put every single punt on to the opponents half-yard line.
    Where the opposition would just be happy to somehow gain possession. This punter should also make all the tackles on the return coverage team. And I'd like this guy signed long term for peanuts.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Last time we had a top 10 net punter in the league was 2006. Ben Graham. Since them it's been a revolving door of below average and bad.

It's a luxury....but it sure would be nice for our defense to have somebody back there who can actually pin a team back

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Worst punter in the Nfl, Edwards, so he fits the Jets scheme, perfectly

7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

41 yards straight up, there is nobody to tackle

8. Leicester Jet

Just a little more on JK Scott

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...dium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

As if Alabama doesn't already have an advantage over most of its competition on both offense and defense, opponents can't even hope for a respite on special teams because of JK Scott. Even if you manage to stop this offense and force a punt, the Crimson Tide are still going to pin you deep in your own territory with one of the best punters in CFB history.

With a mark of 46.32, Scott is the all-time leader in career yards per punt. Scott averaged at least 50 yards per punt in six consecutive games in the middle of last season, posting an average mark of 51.7 yards over the course of a month and a half.

To put that number in perspective, 2012 was the last time an NFL punter averaged at least 50 yards per boot.Yet, this college kid was consistently well beyond that plateau for half of the regular season.

Don't be surprised if this punter does a little bit of place kicking, too. Scott made three of four field-goal attempts during Alabama's spring game and should be in the mix for attempting field goals from 40 or more yards out.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/punt-yds-per-punt-player-career.html

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Actually he just cracks the top 5, Travis Dorsch averaged 48.7 yards per punt over 2 seasons with Purdue, Wishnowski who I mentioned earlier is at 47.7 yds, Matt Prater 47.1 yds, Mark Mariscal 46.4 yds., I left out a few that had less than 60 punts.

I only bring this up because for all the great punting Dorsch did in college he lasted all of 2 years in the pros, making all of 5 punts with a career net of 1.8 yards per punt. Like I said earlier, if the right punter presents themselves late in the 7th then take a shot, but punting average to me doesn't say much, net average is much more important.

10. Leicester Jet

The figures in the articles I quoted are all for a minimum of 125 punts, anything less does not prove consistency.