Kurt Benkert 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, Dec 14, 2017.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

With Rosen out of reach and Stidham sounding like he may not coming out, the past few days I started to watch tape on some the guys outside of the usual top 10 list. In doing so, I think I may have found a serious sleeper. Actually, let me rephrase that, I think I may have found a serious sleeper with regards to TGG as I did a search on his name to see if he has been brought up before by another poster and got 0 results. I have no idea if he is a hot name in the scouting community. If he is not, he should. I think like everyone else I was for sure thinking we would be picking a QB very early and focused solely on the top guys sans Stidham. I'm so upset at myself for not knowing about this kid sooner maybe then I could have watched him live. There's not that much video out there on him but from the little bit I've seen I'm more than intrigued, there I say my new draft crush, especially considering the value. Dude checks a lot of boxes.

Size: He is listed at 6-4 220. The eye test suggest he may measure below those numbers but not by much.

Athleticism: He's no Lamar Jackson but he's not a statue either. He's mobile enough and throws a good ball on the move.

Footwork: Having nimble feet not necessarily great footwork is a must of mine. Luckily he has both.

Arm talent: Above average arm strength and he gets the ball out quick.

Offensive system: I saw a lot of NFL type throws. They don't OD on bubble screens like most college offense do nowadays.

Accuracy:
    This one is interesting. In the games I saw he showed good accuracy and ball placement but the stats say he is completing just a shade under 60% of his passes. I know UVA doesn't have a lot of reliable offensive weapons; could it be due to drops?

He reminds me of a bigger Jeff Garcia. If anyone knows anymore about this guy please post here. I'm trying to find as much as I can.

BacktoQueens and JetFanInPA like this.
  2. legler82

Here's him giving #3 Miami the business.

3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i live in uva territory so ive seen almost all of his games

he throws a great deep ball and hes not afraid to give his receivers a chance to win

uva's receivers are actually quite good. theyre not high-end nfl talents but they run good routes and have good hands ... they played one game in the rain tho and the receivers dropped almost everything in the first half

the big negatives i see are that he tends to stick to one read, his ball placement on intermediate routes is hella suspect, and hes not good at identifying blitzes

i think hes a solid developmental prospect

TonyFtLaud and legler82 like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks Legler and Lenny for the research!

Maybe he's the next "Tom Brady"...taken deep in the draft as a flier.

5. legler82

Smart too; he's an Academic All-American who already earned his degree in finance at East Carolina will graduate this month with a master’s degree in higher education.

6. legler82

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...5-whos-most-underrated-qb-in-college-football

Ask 5: Who's most underrated QB in college football?

• By Daniel Jeremiah
    • NFL Media analyst
    • Published: Oct. 25, 2017 at 11:55 a.m.
    • Updated: Oct. 28, 2017 at 12:20 p.m.
    • 0 Likes | 0 Comments

Executive 1: Virginia QB Kurt Benkert
    "He has good size, athletic ability and arm strength. He gets the ball out. He's accurate on three levels. Virginia is 5-2 with no real skill-player talent around him."

Executive 2: Oregon QB Justin Herbert
    "I'd say Justin Herbert at Oregon. Dude can sling it and the Ducks really fell off after he went down (with an injury)."

Executive 3: Miami QB Malik Rosier
    "Rosier has stepped in for (Brad) Kaaya and the team hasn't missed a beat. In fact, his mobility has probably improved them at the position. He shows the arm talent to develop into a next-level prospect with another year under (coach Mark) Richt."

Executive 4: Benkert
    "I think Virginia's QB is pretty good. Nobody has been talking about him."

Executive 5:
    Benkert
    "I didn't know much about Benkert before the season. He's been pretty impressive. He makes all of the throws."

Summary: That's three votes for Benkert and one apiece for Herbert and Rosier.

Conclusion: There has been a quiet chatter about Benkert throughout the fall -- our own Chad Reuter identified him as a prospect on the rise after the first month of the season -- and now the buzz is reaching a whole new level...

Brook! and All Gas No Shake like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

I greatly respect your opinion Legler, but while he actually might be the next Tom Brady, I don't think the Jets are in a position to take him and miss. The Pats at least had a pretty decent starting QB when they took Brady as "insurance". That's a nice spot to be in, but the Jets ain't there.

8. legler82

On the contrary, a prospect like Benkert is the only type of prospect they could afford to take and miss. Right now he is projected as a potential Day 3 with a chance to move up based on his performance in the Military and Senior Bowl respectively. If he stays put, he would be a very low risk high reward type pick. Please note that I'm not advocating for the Jets to go into the draft with Benkert as their primary target at the QB position. He's just a guy I feel we should strongly consider if we get shut out of the QB sweepstakes in the early rounds.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Wow. Very impressive overall. That pick-six was brutal, but otherwise he looked excellent. He barely missed any throws. And I think he took every snap out of the shot gun. I'm intrigued though.

10. ColoradoContrails

Okay, I see what you meant. Yeah, if they want to take him later, maybe, but I wouldn't want them to go into the draft with the plan that "We'll do our usual BPA-D routine and then if Benkert is there in the 4th or 5th round we'll take a chance, since we already have our QB in McCown locked up".

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Or, depending on how the rest of the offseason goes, maybe they take a QB in the 1st round and then come back for Benkert in the 4th as the Redskins did with RGIII and Cousins. If they're truly ready to move on from Petty and Hack. However, it sounds like Benkert is a Day 2 prospect and from the look of his game against Miami I see why.

12. ColoradoContrails

I would be on board for a "double dip" at QB, but I seriously doubt Macc would do it.

13. legler82

Watch Benkert in the Military Bowl today 1:30 PM EST on ESPN.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Allen in the 1st, Benkert in the 4th. I can get on board with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJF and JetFanInPA like this.
  15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Watching him live against Navy. Just turned it on. VA down 14-7

16. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Yikes Navy crushed VA, not much to see from Benkert