Kliff Kingsbury signs with Cardinals

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BudJet, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They don't have a short list. They were turned down multiple times last year. Their guy last year was Shurmur who dissed them for the Giants. There GM met Wilks on vacation and had a drink with him. Apparently the drink was so good it had a lasting impression. The Cardinals so bungled their coaching search last year and their failure to can the GM is costing them again.

Now it turns out that Arians didn't really retire, he escaped.

The Jets to their credit treated Bowles well and gave him every chance. It's a good job. The Jets may or may not get it right but the Jets aren't the Cardinals. Bidwill painted himself into a corner last year and can't get out of it.

Dierking and Endlessly Counting like this.
  2. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

And for Kingsbury, as the saying goes... a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. In this case the bird is a Cardinal... since the Jets didn't give him an offer. I think the Jets know how attractive their opening is, so perhaps they are just getting all their interviews done and not panic-signing the first guy that walks in. Or at least that's what I hope.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see how Rosen gets beat up running RPO which is part of KK offense. I figure he'll be on IR by week 3.
    I don't think the Jets were all that high on him. Don't make it like we lost out to Cardinals, they wanted him more than we did....Thank God

#203 BudJet, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    ColoradoContrails and Sam Hammer like this.
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The reality is as teams get eliminated from the playoffs more good candidates will be available. There is no one candidate. We need a great staff, scouting department and GM. It's a very good job. Steve Keim isn't a great GM and Bidwill isn't a great owners son. They completely lucked into Arians who I really believe was the driving force in their playoff run.

There is no panic. If Kingsbury turns into the next Bill Walsh we can eat our hearts out. Chances are pretty good that he will be the next Joe Walton.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Mac probably asked him who he had in mind for defensive coordinator and he probably said something like....what's defense mean?

legler82 likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

How much credit do you give Keim for the 2013-2015 teams which lost no more than 6 games? I remember he was highly praised during that time.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I have a strange feeling we are going to wind up with Gase & that makes me sick.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Even if that does happen, I don't think it's the end of the world. Gase made the playoffs in Miami with Tannebust. The team wasn't all that great. I agree that losing Landry and Ajayi was detrimental, but who knows how much Gase is at fault for that. As long as he learned from his experience in Miami he has a legitimate chance to have success here.

I don't think he's as bad as folks are making him out to be, plus he already hates Miami so that's a bonus, plus Darnold seems to be light years ahead of where Tannehill was. Tannehill was a lost cause, so I'm not blaming the offensive issues on Gase.

#208 Sam Hammer, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

That's the sorry state of this franchise , we have to settle with " i don't think it's the end of the world "... I'm hoping you're right .

Personally I'm pulling for Monken to get the job.

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Pretty upset about this

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What did Joe Walton ever do to you?

Kingsbury is not even half as good as Walton.

Biggs likes this.
  12. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Hahaha what a way to look at it.

You must be a Jets fan.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Arians resurrected Palmer from Raider hell.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Win-win. I didn't want KK. but I think he'll be good for Rosen.

Jets didn't "screw this up" - they did their due diligence. Let him do his OJT somewhere else.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Cardinals are a bad joke. They shit-canned their 1st year coach who had never been a HC. Why hire the guy in the first place if you're not going to give him some time to grow into the job.

Kingsbury is a dope for taking this job, because the Cards are gonna suck for awhile and he will be out the door. He should never have signed on as a college OC, when he had to know NFL opportunities were available. He would have been a lot smarter to wait and grab one of the open OC jobs he definitely would have gotten offers for.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I what I meant by that is that he is better than many others and could actually be much better than people are letting on. I'd take him over Caldwell, Richard, or Rhule in a heartbeat, but Monken and McCarthy are still my top choices.

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I actually put the chances at more than 25% that the Cardinals will see if they can move Rosen to someone else and draft Haskins with the #1 pick (Haskins is obviously far more similar to Mahomes than Rosen is). It would only cost them $4 million on the cap to do so before June 1, and they've got $64 million avaliable with 47 players currently signed (it would actually save them money to trade him after June 1, but obviously by then it would difficult to get much of anything for him). I would be shocked if they're not wishing they had gone a different way last year with the 15th overall pick (kept it, their 3rd, and their 5th, and picked three other players, rather than trading it all to get Rosen), and then drafted Haskins this year.

Unfortunately the Niners need an edge rusher, so they would probably draft Bosa anyway, making this entire scenario of little importance to the Jets.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I watched the interview. He's really cute. The widows in the club section will be going bat shit for this guy.

Seriously he basically said he is going to call the plays and work the O. They are looking for an experienced DC although the GM said categorically they are going back to a 3/4 D. I see this move as a hail Mary and an opportunity for SK to re-take charge of the team on and off the football field after a dismal offseason where he was suspended for a DUI and hired a complete bust as HC, gave a ton of money to a done Sam Bradford and forced Mike McCoy down his new Head Coach's throat.

I'm a big believe that Arians was responsible for the Cardinals success. The GM has a great relationship with the President, also the owners son and the hired KK to make sure Rosen isn't a bust. It's a great opportunity for Kingsbury but if he's just going to be the QB whisperer it's not going to work. He has to grow up fast.