KIRWAN : Jets take off into a new, younger era ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Feb 22, 2006.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Jets take off into a new, younger era
    By Pat Kirwan / NFL.com Senior Analyst

(Feb. 22, 2006) -- The new era for the Jets has officially taken off and it will be a youth movement. On Wednesday, general manager Mike Tannebaum announced the termination of the contracts of cornerback Ty Law (starter), tackle Jason Fabini (starter), quarterback Jay Fiedler (backup), defensive tackle Lance Legree (role player), linebacker Barry Gardner (backup), fullback Jerald Sowell (starter) and wide receiver Harry Williams (backup).

The cutting of the seven players will combine to create close to $16 million in salary-cap space for the franchise, but the work is far from done as the Jets are projected to be close to $28 million over the salary cap when free agency is set to start on March 3. And with the franchise tag being placed on defensive end John Abraham at a value of over $8 million, I expect more cuts along the way in New York.The biggest challenge isn't cutting players or even renegotiating a few contracts to create salary-cap space -- Tannebaum knows how to do the cap work to get down under the $93 million number in time. The big challenge is replacing the talent on the field with equal or better talent for a cheaper price.

Eric Mangini took over as Jets coach last month and already faces several roster challenges.I don't disagree with one move the Jets made, but when I realized that Law started 15 games, had 10 interceptions and 45 tackles and went to the Pro Bowl, it's clear someone has to step up from the roster or the draft. And, sure, Fabini missed seven games this year due to injury, but he also started all 114 games that he was on the active roster for the Jets. Coach Eric Mangini may really like the young tackles on the roster, but I'm sure Fabini will be missed as a third tackle or even a guard. Maybe he returns to the Jets at a later date for less money.

Sowell started 30 games in the last two years and brought a solid effort every week. He may be able to be replaced with a young draft pick, but that's a pick they could have used on another position that may have had a glaring weakness. LeGree wasn't a starter, but as a rotating player he did account for 29 tackles and three sacks. That production has to be replaced.Fiedler never got his Jets career going with the injury bug hitting him right away, but the QB situation in New York is yet to be determined. Here's another guy who could return at a cheaper price later on if he's healthy and does not find a team to go to. After all, Vinny Testaverde returned when no one ever thought that would happen.

The point is that while Tannebaum shaves the roster to comply with the cap rules, Mangini and his staff have to be looking to replace whatever talent and production these seven terminated players brought to the organization.The good news is that a lot of other teams are going through the same issues, it's just the Jets are the first team to get the ball rolling on trimming the cap. Maybe a few other players will take a pay cut, maybe they can trade Abraham for some draft picks, and maybe Mangini can uncover some of those bargain signings the Patriots were famous for over the past few years. My guess is it will take time, but the team is headed in the right direction. Patience and an eye for the future are the keys for Jets fans.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Your are aware that Pat Kirwan was our chief scout from 80 to 90 & if I was you I would check out his record before believing anything the man says?

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

ACTUALLY CHamp - pat was my high school football coach in the early 80's...i do not believe he started with the jets until the dog days of walton and coslet.....

i was in 2 camps - 91 and 92 and he always wanted to go towards the media outlet and get away from the field. pretty good guy.

jil

4. championjets69

Good guy & evulating talent then I guess is like a apple & a orange

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Why are you always an ass? Are you even happy to be a Jets fan?

6. championjets69

Just pointing out the FACTs. Sorry if the TRUTH hurts but FACTs are FACTs. If you do not believe me check it out yourself. Trust me as soon as I feel the NYJs have begun the upward push I will send you a PM immediately. Also why are you such a ass not accepting the truth?

7. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

You always say that crap. Just because it is your opinion does not make it the truth. It is your interpretation of events. Others might have a different opinion which are just as valid.

And what exactly did Kirwan say that was SO inaccurate? That the Jets have to replace the talent they are replacing? Of course they do. Sorry, but I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

8. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Guys if you disagree on opinions fine, but you don't have to get personal. Besides nobody is interested in reading that.

9. championjets69

Just check out his record & then lets see what you have to say. If you know the NYJs record during that era & the beginning 90s then you should not even have posted what you posted. You just another one that choses to argue with FACTs. To bad if the TRUTH hurts but that is fact Jack no matter if you like it or not. Accept the facts cause you cannot deny them. If you do not like our ugly facts go root for Herm in KC

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If he was a chief scout for any team in the NFL he has to have some sort of football acumen. Just look at how highly regarded Joe Walton is in the college ranks, when he was an absolute disaster here. He may have a bad track record, but then again, he's only writing newspaper articles, not making decisions on the Jets CS. So if your point is true, then we should be thankful for that. :beer:

11. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Kirwan is well aware that there is NO WAY the Jets can replace the talent at this point and get under and stay under the cap. If he has any idea - and he should - of how the salary cap works, and the market for players today, then he definitely knows the Jets are rebuilding.

First he says he agrees with every move so far, and then he challenges Tannenbaum and Mangini to replace the guys with equal or better talent at less money. Kirwan knows this is impossible...and instead of just talking about the need to rebuild, he puts in his zinger already. Having come from the ranks of the FO it surprises me that a usually realistic guy like Kirwan would say something like this?

As realistic Jet fans, we know this will be a rebuilding year. The record is not going to be too good, but we have to enjoy seeing the wrecking ball hit at the old FO and CS and enjoy watching as our Young Guns build the new foundation for future success.

12. championjets69

No that is where you derail. Up to now when you worked for the NYJs competance was not one of the requirements. See Kotex, Dumbway, Herm, WaLton, Kensil just to name a few former NYJ employees that drove us into the crapper year after terrible year. Do not make assumptions go check out his record with us

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

All I'm saying is it doesn't really matter what Kirwan says because he has no decision making power in the Jets CS. However, if you take the article for face value, I don't really see anything wrong with what he had to say. He understands what the Jets are trying to do, and raises several good points.

14. championjets69

What is what I am saying is he really does not know how to evulate talent per his past track record so he certainly is not qualified to tell us what to do now.

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i cant believe that this meaningless article has actually stirred controversy...what are we argiung over here??the man has to write a story every so often so he writes this filler piece which is as inane,harmless and obvious a piece that can be written and champ starts an argument over it....im confused

16. championjets69

Cause IMHO Kirwan is to incompetant to be considered a "reliable" source. He is one of the main reasons we were the bottom feeders during his employment with us.

17. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

My post had nothing to do with your "facts"...it merely had to do with your level of bitchiness and whether or not you even enjoy being a Jets fan.

I don't want a PM from you either when we begin an upward push. Anyone can be happy when a team is winning.

And the facts don't hurt because I know every single franchise in the entire NFL has gone through hard times. I am able to accept that.

What I can't handle is people like you who LOVE to be pissed off at the team.

#17 PennyandtheJets, Feb 23, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  18. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

i hate reading it...its like a NYJ soap opera up in here...so many people who want to talk crap.....

arguing online is like competing in the Special Olympics....It doesnt matter who wins, cuz in the end you still retarded!

19. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Good read, but hey Kirwan one person we will NOT miss is Fabini! Dont let the door you on the way out to big ogre.

20. 1028

1028 Active Member

So what the current cap situation right now?