Kirk Cousins

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JetsUK, Oct 31, 2017.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unfortunately if we sign Cousins we won't have room for a contract like Wilkerson's. Wait did I say unfortunately? I meant fortunately.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They could sign Cousins, extend Enunwa, Ealy, ASJ, Claiborne, Johnson and still sign a couple of big money FAs. $95M can go a long way.

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Although San Fran getting Garrapollo was huge, I still think it's a longshot Cousins becomes a Jet. I don't understand what Washington has against him really, but what will they do at QB if they let him walk? I think he ends up in Washington ultimately.

I'm very much open to Cousins, but he's likely going to become one of the top few if not the highest paid QB this offseason. I think it will depend on where the Jets draft, how the QB prospects play and perform in the pre-draft process, and of course, what the Jets think of them. In an ideal world, I'd prefer the Jets to draft and actually hit on a franchise QB, but two big ifs there and Cousins would represent an immediate solution for the foreseeable future.

Seriously, what does Washington do at QB if they let him walk?

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Don't need to resign Wesley Johnson, but agreed. Use the draft to fix the line and get more playmakers in terms of RB and pass-rushers.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. The Waterboy

True maybe not Johnson. If Giants let Richburg hit FA he might be a target for an upgrade there. I don't see them fixing the entire line with the draft.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think the LT and C position specifically need to be upgraded. I think the rest of the line is OK. I think the Jets can live one more year with Beachum, but I would love for the Jets to continue the tradition of drafting a C that can play for us for the next 10 or so years.

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Not really. We do not have $95 million in cap space. We have just over $81 mill. That's if the cap goes up to $178 Million as predicted. Can get to $95 Million by cutting Skrine and Wilkerson.
    Then we have to not only replace them both , but we have to resign or replace all the other FAs on our roster as well.
    They can sign cousins and extend the players you mention , likely would cost close to $60 mill. Another $9 or so for draft picks ,and we have another 15 or so free agents to resign or replace so that $95 is then closer to $15-18. Not signing a couple more big money FAs with that. I believe we actually have 36 FAs at the end of the season and Mac is going to carry over money going forward. This is not the usual competitive rebuild we have watched fail for way to long.

8. The Waterboy

To save me from having to type it again, this is where I came up with $95M.

With Powell and McGuire they can add a mid round or low money FA RB and be fine, Ijalana is just a back up so I am sure they can pick up another back up much cheaper, Skrine is making way too much for his play. Basically the only of those 3 that might cost a decent amount to replace is Skrine but not $6M like he is due. Don't need to cut Wilk to get to $95M

I only mentioned a few of the FAs because most of the others they resign or replace are probably not getting big money so while it will take some of the cap, players like Tomlinson will likely come back for just over vet minimum and if they don't then I see them replacing them with someone in that range.

It's 26 FAs but the vast majority are JAGs

9. TonyFtLaud

Cousins turned down $53 million guaranteed $72 guaranteed for injury this off-season, Carr is only guaranteed $40 Million. Cousins is not taking less to come here. There will be several teams in a bidding war for him.
    Going with Powell and McGuire and a low - mid tier RB doesn't improve the team. Powell will be 30 next season, and often injured. It's possible a RB could be drafted , that would make financial sense but we know how Mac values RBs and O lineman.
    If Cousins is signed , don't expect Mac to sign 1 or 2 more top free agents. I honestly think he will carry over a large amount of money into 2019.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

My wish list at QB next season is Alex Smith,Kirk Cousins or Tyrod Taylor, should he be let go by the Bills.

The most important trait in a QB has to be turnovers...the guy needs to be smart with the football.

ASJ, Kearse,Anderson,a healthy Enunwa and the 2 young kids we drafted, along with either a draft pick or FA acquisition and we have a solid recieving corps.
    Powell, McGuire and another RB added to the mix is a pretty good ground game.

Our 2 young S going into year 2 and signing Clairborne and bringing back the no name over achievers, while drafting smart or acquiring another CB will solidify the back end.
    DD, Lee finally showing some improvement and the rest of the LB corps, plus adding some help via FA or draft will only improve that unit.
    D line seems to be starting to jell too.

O line , while playing pretty solid, needs improvement and that's where I'd start looking come draft day... we need to follow the Cowboys mantra of a few drafts ago and go heavy on O line talent.

Get an QB who protects the ball and some big bodies to protect the QB and we will have success.

This team is a young team headed in the right direction...a few smart decisions will have us playing more meaningful games in December and beyond, for years to come.
    This year has shown me we aren't as far away as we thought coming into this season.

Walt White, FJF and dawinner127 like this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Who? Jacksonville and Cleveland? Washington already showed they don't want to invest in him long term.

12. The Waterboy

Cousins turned down $53M because he was already guaranteed $24M under the tag, meaning they were only guaranteed $29M above what he already had. Basically a 1 year extension.

Powell will not be 30 until half way through next season and he only has a total of 616 rushing attempts for his career, which is a very low number. I think he has missed 9 games in 6 seasons so while he may get dinged up he doesn't miss many games. Anyway that is a good reason for going RB by committee. I don't think replacing Forte's production will be that hard.

I'm not going to try and guess what he will do, I was stating what I thought they would have the financial means to do if they went that direction.

FJF likes this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

Washington offered him 1 Million less than Rodgers guaranteed money which is the most of any QB in the league. They really showed him, trying to sign him long term and franchising him when he refused should be a lesson to all QBs. As for what teams could be bidding? Washington , NY , Cleveland, Jax, Buffalo , Arizona, Miami, the Steelers and New Orleans could also be in the market with Ben and Brees both potentially retiring.

14. TonyFtLaud

He wasn't tagged untill he turned down the offer. He turned it down because he wants more money and doesn't want to be in Washington. You said he would get Carr money, he turned down significantly more.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I live near DC. Watch a lot of Redskins football. They are as poorly run as you can get. Right now they have no o-line and allowed Cousins Top 2 targets of Garcon and Jackson to walk. He isn't an Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning, but he is a good QB. You could do a lot worse. How the Redskins have not extended him is mind boggling to me. He doesn't seem to step up in the big moments, but like I said neither does the rest of his team.

16. The Waterboy

http://www.raiders.com/news/article...Tag-List/115f5e09-16e3-42ea-b41f-6d26ce04f9df
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...sins-53-million-but-he-prefers-franchise-tag/
    I do believe May 2nd comes after March 1st on the calendar. Carr got $40M guaranteed above what he was scheduled to make in 2017, Cousins was offered $29M above what he was scheduled to make in 2017. And what I said was "If Cousins gets a similar contract to Carr"

17. TonyFtLaud

Thank you. The second link proves my point. Cousins is going to be expensive. I believe you suggested $15 million for 2018. That's clearly not going to get it done, but there is the possibility of a large signing bonus that would allow a smaller upfront salary.

18. TonyFtLaud

Washington has been trying to extended him but he has turned them down the past 2 seasons.
    The problem with Cousins is he is afraid to take shots down field. I don't known if its lack of confidence in his receivers , himself , or just a fear of turnovers , but he will go to the check down if his deep options are not completely wide open.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. The Waterboy

Sure, keep spinning it and thinking you are right. The two links disprove what you had just said,
    They show he was tagged way before that offer. That means the contract offer was only $29M above what he was already under contract for.

I'll also repeat this for the 3rd time so maybe this time it will sink in, Below is what I actually said. I said "IF" he gets a contract similar it could be around $15M cap hit the first year but "EVEN IF" they spread the hit out evenly it would be $25M-$30M a year. Now you may think he is going to ask for more than $30M a year but stop trying to put words into my mouth that I said he would only make $15M a year

20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Why are we all up in arms about money? Pay the guy whatever he wanted. You can win with cousins if you put the pieces around him. We have a young exciting defense who will only get better and we have better WRs and weapons on O than Washington has.

We are going to have almost 100m to spend. Money isn’t an issue

HomeoftheJets, grkmanga31 and FJF like this.