Kirk Cousins

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JetsUK, Oct 31, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Well, lucky for us. Enunwa will be back, kearse is good, Anderson and the rest will have the rest of the season to develop. Don’t forget ASJ and Powell out of the backfield too. Plenty of weapons for a good qb and 3 picks in the top 100 to maybe add an edge rusher,o line, another weapon.
    Sign the beast

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

They've been in these games. McCown basically INTed them out of two and he was outclassed by Ryan. Two of those field goals get made and they win anyway. All the teams are closer than people think. Cousins, a good draft, and a few FA's and they're in the hunt. And draft a QB in whatever round you want too.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

/thread

HomeoftheJets, dawinner127 and Burnz like this.
  4. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I would agree with you if not for the shittiest part of our offense right now, you know that wet paper offensive line of ours. McClown has done as good a job at QB than anyone could considering he never has time for anything but short stuff and the occasional long toss up.

5. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

I’d love to see cousins, however we need a o line to protect him, ours is terrible and they can’t runblock at all.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Realistically, what would it cost to get Cousins? And after that expense, would the Jets be able to fill the other major holes they have?

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The money is there to sign Cousins without bankrupting the future. Even with all our own FAs to resign. There would still be money left to sign another big FA and carry over money into 2019.

8. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

I have nothing against Cousins, but I think people who are saying ''we can still draft a QB'' are wrong. I mean, technically they're right, nothing is stopping us. However, it's likely that the new QB would probably turn into Petty 2.0. The new QB won't be able to beat Cousins in the ''QB summer super Bowles competition'', which means he'll heat the bench for 5 years. I think no good rookie QB in his right mind would come to the Jets if we sign Cousins. Our reputation regarding young QBs is bad enough even without Cousins being involved.

I think the decision comes down to which philosophy does the GM want to stick to: build a team or kinda build a team but put in quick fixes in certain places. If it were up to me, I'd give everything up for Rosen and start him right away. We have nothing to lose, I don't even care if our record is 2-14 or 6-10, really makes no difference to me, I want to see guts and glory, I'm sick of all this cowardice and selfishness.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Well lucky for us rookie QBs don’t get to pick where they want to go.

10. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

Oh you mean like Manning went to San Diego?

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah.. one QB out of the hundreds drafted since the draft was a thing. Get out of here wiseguy. Your post was absolutely garbage.

I’ve never seen someone post something so wishy-washy. You didn’t even say anything of substance. “Oh People who are saying we can draft a qb are wrong but technically they are right?” What??????

If you sign Cousins you don’t draft his predecessor for 3 or 4 years down the road and during that time you find quality players who can fill holes we currently have. There is no Petty 2.0 on the way here in this situation.

Walt White and TonyFtLaud like this.
  12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Yeah, I still don't think Cousins is one of those guys.

The emergence of Cousins has not transformed the Redskins into "instant contenders" over the last three years. Last year they were 8-7-1 and missed the playoffs by one game, losing their season ending "win and in" game at home to the Goants, a team that technically had nothing to play for at the time. In 2015, they won the NFC East at 9-7 and then got curb-stomped by Green Bay in the wild card game. So far this year, they are 3-4, having lost 2 straight games.

Again, the idea that Cousins makes us an "instant contender" over the "next five years" is over the top.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well if that's true, then signing Cousins MIGHT be an option, but I still prefer trying to build a team around a drafted FQB. Most SB winners have done so with their own developed QB, and the teams with the longest sustained success - by that I mean perennial contenders - do it with a home grown FQB. I desperately want another SB, but I also want them to be in the hunt year after year. Maybe Cousins could provide that, but I'm skeptical.

14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Cousins could provide that, but I'm skeptical

Me too

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I would take Kirk if we are unable to bring in one of the top QBs in the draft. I'd much rather see the Jets get Rosen or Darnold, than overpay Kirk, but if that's not a realistic option, he is a franchise caliber QB and we haven't had that in decades. It would be an instant improvement.

I was under the impression that the Jets will have near 80m to spend next year after the cap rollover from this year, but I might be over estimating that. They could theoretically add cousins and still add another premium FA.

#35 Sam Hammer, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  16. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

My guess is he'll get less than Stafford got. probably close to what Carr got (5yr/$125mil). Carr is the better player, but QB contracts rise every year. There's a chance that the market dries up, and he settles for less, but it wouldn't be much less.

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They will have $81m after figuring just over $18M carry over from this season. After cutting Skrine, Forte and Ijalana they will be at just under $95M. I didn't add in any of the cuts under $1M saving since those will mostly be filled in by other players in that price range.

If Cousins get a similar contract to Carr the cap hit would be around $15M 1st year and $25M 2nd year. I would assume it worked out that way due to it being an extension rather than new contract. even if you have the hit evenly throughout the contract, maybe a little higher 1st year, cap hit would be $25-$30M. Figuring about $10M for draft picks it leaves minimum of about $55M for resigning some players like Enunwa, Ealy, ASJ, Claiborne, Johnson. Depending on how many they resign it should still leave enough to sign 1 or 2 top FAs.

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It's actually pretty close to the same # . I think 24 QBs won a SB who weren't drafted by the team, Brady skews the #s a little more in favor of home grown.
    I think most would prefer to draft a FQB and I would love to, I'm just opposed to the suggestion I keep reading here to trade our next 3 first round picks to move up this year.
    I don't think this year's draft class will live up to the hype. They really haven't on the field this year.
    Cousins would be a great bridge to the future. Not the 1-2 year Fitz McCown types we have been trying if that QB is out of reach in the draft.

I think some bought in to the preseason media, were going 0-16 and we're thinking we get Darnold and win multiple SBs. Now they are actually upset the team has played well and want to mortgage the future to get that QB in this draft. Even if he isn't there.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Of course, I'd prefer to draft a premier prospect (Rosen) but if they can add Cousins at a reasonable rate, then draft a couple of offensive linemen, (and hopefully draft or aquire a passrusher) This team could be pretty solid pretty quick.

Sign him for 5-6 years or so.... and plan on drafting his replacement in year 3 or 4

A good friend of mine is a big skins fan (and very sports knowledgeable in general) so I asked what the deal is about him not getting/signing a longterm deal. He said it was due to Snyder being a total douche to him stemming back from the RG3 days and thinks he really just doesnt want to be there

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We could cut Wilk and save 10+ million too.