Kirk Cousins

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Surprised there isn't a thread for this already. But there are serious rumors that Kirk will go to the 49ers for a first round pick.

I understand that they don't want to full overpay for what they consider a middle of the road quarterback. But Kirk is a top 15 quarterback with excellent accuracy which can't be taught.

Why aren't we floating around the idea of trading for a successful NFL quarterback that will only be 29 at the start of the year? He conceivably has 6 or so years of high play left. He works well in a WCO that our new coordinator runs and he throws for a ton of yards.

We're not talking about Romo who will be done in two years, or Cutler who has started for a decade and can't make the playoffs.

Furthermore, what are the Redskins thinking? They've butchered this situation terribly with the exclusive franchise tag which I believe would make him the highest paid player ever over a two year period. Now they want to trade him after extending the head coach he works well with to start Colt McCoy?

We should be all over this. First round pick + Sheldon. Done. Even if we're shitty next year we can lock him up to push us into competitiveness.

Instead we're looking at bringing back Geno or Mike fucking Glennon

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I have always liked him but his cost might be prohibitive

Plus the Team returns to the cycle of interim vets of low ceiling (Fitz) or higher (Favre) without developing your staff (Hack /Petty)

This makes so much sense if the Jets were on the cusp of playoff /SB contention like in 2009 or 2010 ..we would win a Championship if the OL CBs and Coaching staff were in place but now were basically a hot mess

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'm a huge proponent for Cousins coming to the Jets.

Unfortunately, I agree with the poster above, he is going to command a high percentage of the money we have available and we won't be able to get him help.

By the time the Jets have reinforcements the guy will be 33.

Br4d likes this.
  4. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

On the cusp or not, if you can solidify the QB position for the next 8 years, you do it in my opinion. Of course the price has to be reasonable, because Cousins is a top 8-12 QB, not an elite top-5 QB. I'm sure we'd be outbid, but I can see offering a swap of 1sts, Richardson, a 2nd & a 2nd next year. Based on the value chart that would probably be equivalent to 1620 points. A team like SF or CLE can easily blow that out of the water. I can see possibly going to a 1st next year, but that's pushing it. I wouldn't more than a swap in this draft, because at #17, there's a good chance at some sort of Offensive help dropping to that spot and yielding good value (Howard, Williams, Davis, Ramczyk).

5. Jonathan_Vilma

33 is not old by quarterback standards. Especially one that has only really been starting for two years. If we can solidify the position for closer to a decade I don't understand why we wouldn't do it.

The question is whether or not a player like him can/will win 8 or so games because of his ability while the team isn't very polished around him.

Even still; we're not talking about some veteran at the end of their run. He has plenty of football left in him and as I said he is deadly accurate, which is a skill that cannot be taught.

Acquiring a player like him can be a culture changer and attract players to want to come here. The only attractor we have at the moment is money, which 31 other franchises have in common.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't follow the idea we shouldn't try to land Cousins because we aren't "on the cusp" of playoff/SB contention. We aren't "on the cusp" because we've had horrendous QBs. Adding a good QB like Cousins makes us a good football team overnight. is the rest of Washington's roster any significantly better than the rest of ours? nope I don't think so.

problem is that Cousins wants 49ers and any deal for Cousins you would conceivably have to have a handshake deal on a long term deal with him before making the trade

FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Very well said. I completely agree. Cousins instantly makes most NFL teams significantly better. Can he get them over the hump to be Super Bowl contenders? That's the Redskins issue with extending him for big money.

I'm with it though. You don't have the option to get a top 15 quarterback nearly ever and for only one first round pick? Seems like a no brainer.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Redskins have to grant permission for teams to negotiate a long term deal with Cousins.

Prior to that, the inquiring team would need to have a trade agreement with Washington.

Lots of dominoes needing to fall.

I'm absolutely not against bringing Cousins here. Matter of fact, I would love it.

My guess is the trade would require two firsts (from a team in the top 10 this year) and a 3rd.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

You are looking at two 1st rounders and a $20 million/year deal. I would most likely still pull the trigger..

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's not like we have a stellar draft history anyway. If they want picks, sure, take em' off our hands

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is why you don't devote a huge amount of cap to anybody but a Hall of Fame QB. Even those guys take a lot less if they actually want to win.

The only way I trade for Cousins under any circumstances is if the Redskins sign him with a huge bonus and cut his likely cap figure over the years in half for us. If they were willing to do that they'd also be willing to just re-sign him so I don't see it happening.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

@Br4d according to an article I read today, the interested team can negotiate with Cousins, if Washington allows, prior to executing the trade.

Basically the Jets could agree to trade terms w/ Washington and the execution of the trade would be contingent upon a successful contract negotiation w/ Cousins' team.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The question is how do we get to a Super Bowl, let alone win one, with a QB hitting the cap for $20M+ a season?

That's what you pay guys after they've won a trophy for you.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Super Bowls are a red herring because only two teams a season get to go to one. In other words, the sample size is too small to draw conclusions. A better argument would involve W-L records, something like whether expensive QBs are winning enough games to make their cap hit worthwhile.

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We can't afford to give up 2 first round picks. We have no roster. Cousins would be a bottom tier QB on this team. We have no # 1 Reciever. Possibly no #2 Depending on Decker's return. No LT. Powell as a feature RB. No TE. No O line. No DBs.

16. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the redskins upcoming season. They just fired their GM and it seems the team is in turmoil. Apparently Cousins went to Snyder in person to request a trade.

17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Snyder won't trade him to the 49s because he hates Shanahan. Cousins wants to be traded there. He will end up there next season and Snyder will get nothing in return

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Yah true, and I did not think about the fact that he could leave next offseason. I would not trade for him unless a long term deal gets done.