Kirk Cousins Turned Down $90 Million Offer from Jets

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Falco21, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I was Suck For Sam for 2 years so I’m pretty happy this never materialized.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

More like WHOA! is us, as we have Sam Darnold now. Though, the thread is about Cousins turning down 3 years, $90 million from the Jets, to sign a 3 years, $84 million deal with the Vikings. Not sure how it could be a positive thread for Jets fans as it was disappointing at the time. Now? It's irrelevant. Like I said, I do want to beat the Vikings this year, but I want to beat every team. And I agree, Mac handled it all perfectly. Including the trade with the Colts shortly after Cousins went to Minnesota.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Before anyone says anything about taxes, Minnesota's income tax rate is higher than New Jersey's, so he's definitely getting less money there.

The only thing about this that is noteworthy to me is that anyone is surprised by it. I remember saying at the time that it was clear that he had no interest in coming to the Jets. Macc did exactly the right thing for a player he wanted who didn't want to be here, and that is offer a little more money. Cousins did the right thing by not stringing the Jets along and by not holding up the Vikings for more money. I don't see what he possibly gets from talking about it now, but anyone who didn't realize that this is what happened simply wasn't paying attention.

And of course with the benefit of hindsight, at this point I can't imagine that there is a single Jets fan on the planet who is unhappy about the way it worked out.

4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Didn't Cousins say all along that money wasn't the only part of the deal for him. He wanted to go somewhere he had a chance to win. No one, surely, believes that the Jets gave him a better chance to win than Minnesota?

We made an offer, it was too much imo, and he thankfully preferred a different one. End of story... only it isn't because the way things turned out is way better than paying Cousins $90m.

stinkyB and Harpua like this.
  5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Great look into the process a top FA goes through... can't help but wish Cousins luck as he seems like a really good guy.
    That being said, I'll take Sam over Kirk any day of the week, as in the long run I think Darnold is going to be a better QB.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets Vikings 10/21. Gonna be a great game. Richardson will be back and it'll be Darnold vs Cousins. It'll be a tough ass game, would love to get that W

donkey likes this.
  7. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

It's Thor vs. Hulk. Ragnarok!!

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

In fairness to a lot of the posters that wanted Cousins(me included)At the time it wasn’t at all clear that the Jets would go all in on drafting a QB, nor was it at all clear that a QB would even be available at 6.

I can’t blame Mac for giving his best offer right off the bat and moving on quickly when it was clear that he wasn’t accepting. Also can’t blame Cousins for wanting to go elsewhere.

In the end I don’t think any of us would trade the outcome for the alternative and all I have left to say is thank you Browns and thank you Giants oh and thank you Kirk.

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The disturbing thing about this whole episode is Maccagnan wanted him here. Yes, when you don't have a QB, you try to get one, but if your mission is to win a championship (which I assume it is) then you at least try to get one with a past track record of winning and a perceived upside which was sadly lacking in Cousins. Kirk Cousins would have been Chad Pennington II. Some winning seasons, some losing seasons with only a whiff of playoffs. One more reason why I have my doubts about Mac.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont hate on Cousins like a lot of people do, he is a decent, accurate QB, but coming here to N.Y. for $90 mill would've brought immense pressure. Some guys can handle that, Cousins evidently cannot.

Small-time and midwest are better for him. kudos to him for at least recognizing that I guess.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Cousins' agents using the Jets' 90m/full guar. bid to squeeze more $ out of Minny is old news - ESPN being TMZ.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/peterman-in-the-3rd.88379/page-2#post-3566282

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm one who really wanted Cousins. As a fan who was desperate for an NFL caliber starting Quarterback he would have instantly became our most accurate QB since dating back to #10 Chad Pennington.

I never once thought Sam Darnold would be there sitting at 6th and was never truly high on any of the other QB's at 6 (was a Saquon Barkley guy) and hindsight is 20/20 but I am so thankful Kirk Cousins blew us off and very thankful we walked away with Sam "suck for" Darnold.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

The Colts ended up helping us but it was truly Kirk Cousins rejecting us that ultimately made it all become possible (Sam).

Hey. They say God works in mysterious ways; I wish him the best.

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm soooooooo glad he didnt sign here.

PHEW!!!!!!!!

Dodged a very overrated, overpaid bullet on that one.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

He's 20/28 for 244 yards and 2 TDs and 0 INTs late in the third quarter. Sounds pretty good to me.

Ralebird and FJF like this.
  15. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Given I'm traveling about 3,500 miles for it, I agree. :)

Kris 15 and Royal Tee like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You gotta have a winning season and get into the playoffs before one can actually get to and win, a SB. While I didn't want Cousins, I can totally understand why Mac had interest.

CotcheryFan and Royal Tee like this.
  17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

WHAT!!? Weeeeeeeeeeee

donkey likes this.
  18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

3 years/90 million is not "interest." It's "I love you, come here and play for us."

FJF likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Things happen for a reason.... The Jets for once dodged a multi million dollar bullet. Our luck has indeed changed. I guess that 50yr curse is finally over and Namath has his soul back at least temporarily. :)

RuJFan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't mean that he "only" had interest. He definitely wanted to sign Cousins. He became Plan A and drafting a QB Plan B.

westiedog1 likes this.