Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He had a plan when he first got here. But its like Tyson said "everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"

now he's back to step 1

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That honestly, is the best summary I've heard of this situation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Now here's a sport the Jets can dominate.

4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Lmao its the beat sport out there

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You're blurring the lines. Here's how I see it:

-He came in, he had a clear plan to spend spend spend in FA to build a win-now team.
    -They didn't win, they went into the next season looking to expand on last season, between injuries and bad play, it was a mess.
    -This signaled a full blown reboot, which he did.
    -Now, we have some nice youth combined with affordable vets and we're looking to land the big fish and build around him.

There were two plans. The first one bombed. Macc didn't try to salvage it, to his credit. The problem is he wasted a 2nd round pick on a terrible QB that he probably thought was going to be the guy when the time came that they needed a QB. So as much as credit as I'm willing to give him, I'm more than willing to bash him for the Hackenberg disaster.

If he lands Cousins and fills the roster out around him with talented players that aren't going to crash and burn in a year or two (like Marshall, Revis, Cro, etc) then I'm going to be singing his praises.

6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

In theory it is very sound....I just don't think Cousins is a qb a team can depend on to win the high stakes big pressure games. I think going with your strategy turns the Jets into a franchise that looks like the current Cincinnati Bengals....the Charlie Browns in the NFL Playoffs.

zace likes this.
  7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think youre just so dead set on cousins youre mostly rationalizing everything. Signs that the jets have been in an abusive relationship with all of us. Its clear he has no idea what hes doing at this point other than trying to save his job.

The jets haven't drafted a first round talent qb since god knows when. Sanchez was never a first round talent. They actually have a chance to do that and try and change this culture.

8. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Mac got knocked out like Spinks after he drafted Hackenberg. The "book isn't closed on Hackenberg"....keep digging Mac.

9. BroadwayAaron

You're completely wrong. If we had a shot at Rosen or Darnold I'd be saying no thanks on Cousins and focusing solely on the draft. If we had any reported interest in Baker Mayfield I'd be nowhere near as all-in on Cousins. The fact that we know Macc likes big-bodied, slow-footed, and for some reason inaccurate QBs makes me terrified of walking away with Josh Allen... and that to me is the absolute worst possible case scenario.

So no, I'm not so dead set on Cousins that I'm rationalizing everything. If we end up with Mayfield, I'm just as happy as if we ended up with Cousins. Would I prefer Cousins? Yes, but at least Mayfield is someone you can get behind. Josh Allen is horrendous, and the Jets can't develop a QB to save their lives. That's a pretty terrible combo and to me, that's a huge waste of your biggest asset (the 6th pick).

While you're right that the Jets haven't drafted a first round talent in years... why do you think they will this time around? The legit first round talent will be gone in the first 5 picks most likely. Mayfield is a crapshoot and Allen is just plain old crap.

I still can't figure out why you're saying Macc has no idea what he's doing and he's just trying to save his job when 1. the owner said there's no playoff mandate, 2. he just signed an extension, and 3. his plan is pretty clear to anyone looking at it objectively. You not liking the plan doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan/the plan is bad.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Ok you are entitled to your opinion, but its clear thru Macs tenure, he doesn't know what he's doing. That's why he resigned Fitz, when he knew all likelihood he would fail the next season. Thats why he tried resigning Marshall after he quit. That's why he, against his own staffs wishes, drafted hack in the second round instead of waiting. That's why he resigned mo wilk when there was no indication that he was gonna perform any better, and also quits. He doesn't have a plan.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

This is the most incredible phenomenon that I’ve seen with fans. Unless a QB is considered a sure thing like Luck was, there is simply an army of naysayers every year arguing every QB in the draft isn’t worth taking and we should trade back, followed by the perennial whining that we can’t win without a QB because it’s the most important position.

The odds are you’re going to miss on more picks than you hit on, including QB. But you aren’t going to hit on one if you don’t draft one.

12. BroadwayAaron

I don't know that anything you said in here besides the Hack stuff is true.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

When Tebow led the Broncos to the playoffs in 2011, his supporters kept pointing out that his win-loss record was much better than Kyle Orton's, and he won a playoff game. Whenever anyone brought up the context behind those wins, his supporters said they didn't want to hear about context, and wins and losses were all that mattered. Garoppolo is way better than Tebow, but Tebow is a perfect example of why you have to look at more than just wins and losses when you're comparing Garoppolo to Cousins.

FJF likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

Well, step 2. Step 1 was last year and he did exactly what he needed to do. Step 2 is more important than step 1, we shall see how it goes.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm not, I just want the right QB. There's wanting a QB, then there's being desperate. Luke Falk and Mason Rudolph in RD1 is desperate. Actually it's worse then desperate.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

@zace

you brought up some great points about how we never saw leaking before with Maccagnan now with Cousins we are being bombarded with media leaks, hell even down to contract numbers. It's fishy.

Do you (and others) suppose it's possibly because they aren't even going to go after Cousins? They just leak this stuff to appease the fanbase to appear that they went after Cousins hard. So when Cousins signs with Denver or something they can say "we tried to sign him, heck you heard how much we wanted him, but he preferred the Broncos for less money instead"

so when they "settle" for another year of Josh McClown go defense in round 1 and draft some prospect in the 2nd round like Mason Rudolph, a plan that most every Jets fan HATES, it will be less controversial because at least they tried for Cousins

ColoradoContrails and Attackett like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

It was me that brought up the fishiness of these contract details being leaked, and I don't think it has anything to do with the Jets. Your scenario is plausible but when you look at the fact that Macc already tried to get Cousins once and Chris Johnson said the team is going to spend this offseason... I think they truly are ready to spend on Cousins. Whether or not it's $60 mil in year one... I have my doubts.

FJF likes this.
  18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I honestly think that is a smoke screen. Just a poorly played smoke screen. I dont think it was necessary.

I think this FO has to know they can't keep doing this. I think they have to find a qb for 10 years, not 3. If not, they deserve to be fired. Regardless of how either of us feel about Cousins, if they pay him the money they're talking, this team won't be competitive. They won't be able to get the talent around him. They have to think beyond that. Im still not convinced Mac has a plan, but he can't be that stupid.

19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Is definitely the jets who leaked this. There's no reason for an agent to leak these numbers knowing no team can match it.

20. BroadwayAaron

You're just not correct here man. It's been happening in sports for ages. You really think the Jets, who haven't let a thing leak since Rex and his staff have been gone, are going to leak that they will be offering a player $60 mil guaranteed in the first year? Come on. We're all smarter than that. You think Brian Costello magically got team sources in the middle of February on a random Monday?

Look at the timeline. Cimini tweets the Jets are going to spend whatever it takes, the next day Costello has a story saying they could give him $60 mil guaranteed the first year. You don't think an agent saw what Cimini wrote and started working the phones? That's how the game is played.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.