Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

what is odd is that mcelroy, bollinger, and ryan are better (so far) than hackenberg. they were drafted #200 or later against #54, and lets not even discuss where montana, brady, or russell wilson were picked. some posters here want to throw huge money at cousins, and he was 4th round. perhaps gettleman can come over and shake up the jets scouting process after he gets done fixing the giants.

2. mr nyjet

you have been a jets fan since the 60's or 70's, like me? i was thinking the exact same senario.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. mr nyjet

and the front office/ owner is synonymous with clueless.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You make a number of reasonable points, and they support your conclusion that there's no QB worth drafting, and therefore they should sign FA. Fair enough. But while you might be right about Rosen's attitude, you might want to remember some guys like Namath, and Marino, to name two, who had red flags around character issues but who turned out okay. And what are you basing that conclusion on - a small number of hearsay reports. I understand being leery, but when a guy has his kind of talent, I think you need to take a chance, but that's just my opinion.

I also question your conclusion about Mayfield being "Manziel-lite" - based on what? Manziel was known as a party animal and me-first player in college, and Mayfield has been praised by his coaches and teammates. Yes, he made a couple of mistakes, and yes, his emotions may get away from him sometimes, but I don't see the comparison to Manziel...again, my opinion.

In my mind the jury's still out on Jackson, Allen, and the rest. I'm waiting to see what their combine performances are, and other expert evaluations. The Jets need a QB, and even if they get one in FA, they should still take one as insurance.

As for Cousins, he's probably the safest bet, but that said, he's not a sure thing either, and he'll cost a TON, not to mention he may not even want to play for the Jets since there are other teams closer to SB-ready. There may be cheaper FA options like one of the Viking's castoffs. I wouldn't rule out re-signing McCown and drafting the best QB they can get.

I fully agree with your last line, and the hope for a new HC.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Well....disagree all you want, Mayfield is a career back-up, let's name all the spread QBs that have become
    NFL starters??? ...Keenum after 6 years of bouncing around the league has been "de-programmed" to a Pro
    style.....name the others???

FJF likes this.
  6. mr nyjet

allen screams hackenberg part 2 to me, has same accuracy issues, as for darnold, name me the last usc qb who won anything in the nfl since tom flores was the backup qb on the raiders sb team in the 70's.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I might be completely wrong but the QB draft situation is, IMO, not looking promising at all for the Jets
    1- Too many teams ahead of us desperately need a QB, so the Giants, Browns, and Denver as a minimum will strike in a nano second if they see value with the QB available. A trade is very unlikely at all at that point, especially for the first three top dogs. It would only occur if a team ahead of us say the Giants don't see the value on the QB available. At which point I would wonder why would we pay a kings randsom to trade for a guy that other ( perhaps even more astute evaluators) deem a high risk? In fact after the top two the evaluation becomes far riskier for an immidiate starter.
    2- I think not getting a QB in the open market and stay pat is a really bad approach, and would make any kind of a trade ridicously expensive as the other GMs will smell the blood. We need to get a solid starter in free agency to keep our options open. Of course if it's Cousins the case is closed, but most anyone else should not preclude us from striking in the draft for a QB in the first round if we were to get lucky, or take a project later.
    3- in my view our choices are either get Cousins and go in a different direction, or get another strong candidate and keep our options open. Do nothing will be a mess, no disrespect to McCown.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Marcus Mariota for one. Patrick Mahomes looks like he will be another.

Your flat out dismissing him because he played in a spread offense is laughable.

9. ColoradoContrails

He did pretty well against non-spread conference defenses too - Ohio State, Clemson to name two.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Don't forget Georgia.

11. ColoradoContrails

My bad...I actually meant Georgia.

12. NCJetsfan

No problem. He also beat Auburn and Tennessee, but lost to Clemson in 2015.

13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I have to go with trade up for Rosen here. I think he's the best fit and could start right out of the gate.

My 2nd choice would be Teddy Bridgewater. Drew Brees is too old, I don't want Foles or Alex Smith. Hell no to Bradford. If the Vikings go with Bridgewater, Case Keenum has potential, but I think Case is a little over rated because the rest of that team is pretty stacked. Their oline is far superior to ours.

For the rookies, I think Darnold will be a bust. Mayfield might work out, but he'll be a late bloomer so expect another year of mostly McCown. I don't really trust Jackson or Allen. I say go all in for Rosen either by trading with Browns or Giants.

The Jets do have an extra 2nd round pick this year. 2 second round picks, Mo wilks and next year's 1st then swap 6th and 7th rounders? :p I bet the Giants would love to reunite Harrison and Wilkerson.

#113 Sam Hammer, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I just don't see Baker going as high as everyone thinks he will.

boozer32 and FJF like this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

We will see but the Jets are in no man's land again thanks to McCown not knowing his role and tanking correctly. Taking Jackson at 6 would be extremely risky. The only way it would work is trading down (PR backlash there) grabbing some picks and taking Jackson somewhere in the middle.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Or they can take whoever they like at 6 non qb wise and than move back into the 1st for Jackson

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I will add that to the poll. People can change their vote.

18. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Age doesn’t really worry me too much with a QB. Unless he relies on his legs a lot.
    Also, it’s very rare in sports, particularly in football, to wrap up any position for more than a couple-few years. A QB who’ll be good for three or four years is a reasonable desire, I think.
    Expecting to find a guy who’ll be a franchise QB for ten years is a really big ask. Great if they find him, but if they can get good QB play for three or four seasons, the Jets should take it. It has been waaaaay too long with stopgaps.

19. egelband

Lamar Jackson may be the best football name ever. I would love this to happen.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  20. egelband

Timeline wise. They have to decide on Cousins or another FA before the draft, right? They won’t be able to try for a top QB in the draft and then, if they strike out, go after a FA Is that correct?