Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The Bills clearly didn’t think it was enough.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm assuming that the Jets were willing to go to more than $84 million guaranteed, since if they weren't they were never really interested in him, and every report is that they were.

What I'm not only willing to believe, but fervently hope was true, is that they wouldn't agree to a three-year contract, and it's possible that that was a deal breaker. That still doesn't change my view that Cousins is betting heavily on himself, and that's not the sign of someone chickening out.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Apparently.....there is NO plan.

Manziel? Maybe Vinny off the couch in Long Island....

4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Or maybe they were able to unload Glenn who has been injured often the past 2 years and his salary and now having the 12th pick to deal may save them a second or 3 rd in the deal.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

What the hell does my comment have to do with Madden? You make it sound like i said let’s just trade our 1,2 and 3 for Peyton Manning back in Madden 09.

Think before you post.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I was asking because I thought you may have read a report of what other offers he received.
    I was all aboard the Cousins trade, but as I posted weeks ago, not on a 2 or 3 year deal . I thought that was what he would be looking for so he could cash in again at 33 for an even bigger payday as the $28 mill per will be much lower than the market value in 3 years. Going to a ready made team should help him succeed. He will have a very good Day, and running game, especially with Cook back. Something that the Jets could not offer.

Pepsiguy5 and CotcheryFan like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Interesting how all the Cousins Love has turned the other way..

Told ya this would happen

NOW MOVE UP in DRAFT OR B SCREWED

8. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I always stated that I'm all in on getting a QB. Had the draft happened first, I would've been all in on trading up. Since free agency happened first, I was all-in on Cousins. I'm all in on trading up again.

9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile on the other side of the barn somebody left that door open too and Sam Bradford is slipping away. The knee obviously is an issue but this man is an absolute pinpoint passer if given a little time. He would have been a good stopgap while a young guy is searched for/developed.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

You knock the wall down to make sure Bradford gets away. He isn’t recovering from a single, fluke injury. He is chronically injured. You can’t rationally expect him to stay on the field to be the stop gap.

TonyFtLaud, FJF and stinkyB like this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yay, we can finally close this thread and end the Kirk talks forever.

12. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

I guess I shouldn't be surprised he picked a team where he could win right away.

As for the Jets, if this team stands pat and allows itself to be leapfrogged in the draft, and we end up w/o a QB, it's time to question why we're wasting time rooting for them.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that'll never happen. Imagine if minnesota wins the SB this year? the whole board will freak out. same will happen if he fizzles and doens't make the playoffs

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Kudos to you for your attitude! I know that you wanted Cousins badly, and I'm sorry that you didn't get what you wanted, but sometimes we are blessed by not getting what we wanted. That can be a bitter pill to swallow, but in this case, I think we dodged a bullet.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Mac's motto is: "Plan? I don't need no stinking plan!"

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

No, he wouldn't. He can't stay healthy and on the field, so it doesn't matter how good he can be at times.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well that's up to the teams medical experts I guess. Obviously the Cardinals feel he can stay upright for awhile. But in the end you guys are probably right. With our luck it would have detonated by week 3.

Not sure if anyone noticed though but the pickings have gotten a lot slimmer in the last 24 hours or so. My thinking on Bradford is that while he may be a knee risk if he doesn't re-injure it (and I make no expert claims on how likely or unlikely that is) he's got the highest ceiling of about anyone else out there not named Kirk Cousins. Why not roll the dice and go for the high level guy is my attitude.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ets-offered-kirk-cousins-30-million-per-year/

I don't know. I wanted Cousins really badly, but I feel more comfortable each day now that he did not sign with the Jets. $30 million is a lot. If he wanted a 3-year deal, that is not a lot of time either for the Jets to become Super Bowl caliber before he hits Free Agency again. In the end, As long as the Jets take a QB in the 1st Round, this could turn out great for them.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That story says nothing about how long the contract was for and how much was guaranteed. If the Jets offered $90 million guaranteed on a three-year contract they are the luckiest team in football that Cousins turned it down, since that would have been a monumentally stupid move by Macc. If they offered a five-year $150 million contract with $90 million guaranteed that would be much more sensible, but Cousins would have been pretty stupid to take it given what he got from Minnesota. Given how things played out the only way the Jets were getting Cousins was if they offered more than $100 million guaranteed, and that wasn't going to happen.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ut-not-everyone-happy-with-how-saga-unfolded/

"The Jets, sources said, came in with the highest bid, and were willing to give Cousins $30M per year – at least – on a three-year deal, also all fully guaranteed. On Tuesday things began to pick up. Cousins opted to take his first visit with the Vikings and McCartney let the other teams know that was going to be the next step. The Jets, upon learning they weren't getting the first visit, tried to sweeten the pot, saying they would go several million more a year higher, still fully guaranteed. Would the Jets have gone as high as $100M fully guaranteed on a three-year deal? Quite possibly, sources said. But the process never formally went that far."

Wow! Clearly Cousins was not serious about anyone but the Vikings. In the end, I am proud of how the Jets handled the situation. They went all-in on a potential franchise QB. Only so much you can do. Kirk saved them from themselves as some have said. Time will tell.