Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Do you really believe the Browns will trade us the 1st pick? Why? Because we're the Jets? More likely they would give it to anyone else BUT us. This isn't Madden.

JetBlue likes this.
  2. jacktucky

jacktucky Member

All the tweets about done deal, now quiet. Why because he's going to dinner with the execs? Maybe Cousins is using the Vikings to get $30 million from the Jets..

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Do what you will, Brook, but I completely disagree that this is Cousins chickening out. He actually took less money to go to a situation with vastly more pressure, and a younger superstar QB in the division (indeed, you can easily argue that he is only the third-best QB in the division). That to me is not chickening out at all.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It just seems more likely that the Browns will take Barkley. Maybe they sweeten a deal for Indy and move from 4 to 3 so they guarantee getting one of their top 2 QB's also.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Yep. In second thought, you are right. Even though I didn't want him on these terms(3 fully guaranteed years) I still feel an anger towards him. I hope Mitch is the real deal so he can enjoy being 3rd in division for years to come.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

But they have 2 first,second and third round picks, which hold a substantially larger value still.
    The Bills were a big threat before they aquired the 12th pick , now even more so.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No, the Bills were never a threat before the trade (which is why they made the trade — you don’t give up your LT unless you absolutely have to), and are only on the cusp of s threat now that they have the 12th pick. Going from 2 or 3 to 12 is a huge drop. If they jump to 5 who gives a shit, we’ve all been discussing the draft under the impression a QB was going 5 to Denver regardless; going 5 to the Bills nets the same result.

The only threat is if the Bronco and Colts both trade out and QB’s go at 2,3,4 and 5.

8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the best case scenario for bridgewater is that you sign him to a multi-year deal with few guarantees for year one, you draft a qb early, bridgewater starts and plays well, and you trade bridgewater for a high draft pick before the last year of his deal

JetBlue likes this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I would have been very unhappy with a three-year fully-guaranteed contract for Cousins, since he would be leaving just as the Jets were potentially getting good. I would have wanted a five-year contract with $90 million guaranteed - same money risk, but protection for the team in case he's doing well.

And before people start talking about tagging him, forget it. He's already been tagged twice, which means that he would be subject to the 44% rule if he's tagged again (it makes no difference that it was Washington that tagged him - the tag moves with him wherever he goes). That's an issue no one has yet mentioned with respect to the Vikings - Cousins will be a free agent in three years and it would cost more than $40 million to tag him after that, and it can only be done for one year. What if he plays well for the Vikings, but not well enough to be viewed as a perennial Super Bowl-caliber quarterback? Like Stafford level rather than Rodgers level? They basically are screwed.

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well Cousins is gone to the Vikings. So what are we on Plan D,E or F? I knew he wasn't coming. 3 years 84 million. The guy wants to win games and the Jets are far, far, far away from accomplishing that.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's probably Chinese Checkers.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  12. boozer32

No way will Macc take him at 6. Plus he doesn't play defense. How far would the Jets have to trade back for Jackson? I think he will be around 12 in the first round.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

15 to the Cardinals I think is the farthest he goes IMO, unless a Josh Allen falls. It's too risky to trade down for any QB at this stage. Unless you are talking Luke Falk or Mason Rudolph. 5 QBs in the first 15 picks IMO.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I wanted to get Kirk Cousins I think as much as anyone but I'm actually not upset right now for one reason. Not the money but the contract.

In my thinking on getting Cousins I always just assumed it would be a 5 or 6 year deal and we'd basically have him the rest of his career. I had no problem with paying a boatload up front for that. But that is NOT what the Vikings did. They paid a boatload up front for just a 3 year slice of the pizza.... I wanted the whole pizza!

He's going to try to cash in again 3 years from now. Eff that.... that ain't what I wanted. I still love what he would have brought to the table per say but not at those terms. I'd almost go so far as saying that wouldn't have ultimately helped the Jets franchise.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And that is a REAL threat.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. boozer32

Maybe the Jets can get him 3 years from now. I think thats Macc plan all along. He's a genius 3 years ahead of everyone in the NFL. 33 year old Cousin is much more attractive to the Jets in 2021.

#3257 boozer32, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  18. TonyFtLaud

Who offered him more?

19. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Thank God we did not sign him. Now close this thread and focus on trading down and building through the draft!

20. TonyFtLaud

They still had 2 first,2 seconds and 2 thirds. If you don't see that as being a threat, I guess we will never see eye to eye on this. They could go to 2,4,or 4 and Denver could still take a QB at 5. They can drive up the cost of trading up easily.