Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'll agree with you that great QBs continue to be great with changes to personal , provided there is still talent around them.
    Cousins had 1 season with very good talent on offense, (terrible d) and played great.
    3 seasons doesn't define a QB as great or not.
    Now none of this has anything to do with you challenging my statement that you can build a sustainable roster through free agency. I said you build through the draft and add a pice or 2 in FA which is what everyone of the teams you keep bringing up have done.
    Adding 10-15 FA over a 10 -12 year span is much different than adding them in 1 off season.

2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

THEN WHEN THE SEASON STARTS THE "I TOLD YOU SO DEBATES WILL START" OUCH :(

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

True but if you add them all at once and give them a couple years to gel it should work out as long as you have the cap space and draft well.

4. TonyFtLaud

I wouldn't feed this post to my dog!!! Lol
    It's probably split, 50% sign Cousins , 30% totally against Cousin's, and 20% Just get a QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask lol....

As this is a jets forum i will get ridiculed for this but I think if we loose out on the top 4 in the draft (good possibility) I like the option of AJ McCarron on a short prove it type of contract while drafting a QB like Falk or something to that effect.
    Macarron is still young and has looked good in playing time. If he turns into something we're golden if not we have another guy learning behind him.

6. TonyFtLaud

No chance you have the cap space to sustain them all. You could get a nice 3 year run but then you start from the bottom and start over.
    Edit
    Unless you are talking about low tier free agents.

7. TonyFtLaud

Right after the fire everyone thread!

8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree on one thing and that is...
    We're all going through football withdrawals and are looking for something to ease
    The pain of anticipation of free agency & the draft. This is going to be an interesting
    Off season to say the least....If it ever gets here...waiting for free agency & the draft is like watching your toe nails grow LOL :)

Brook! likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Well in 2020 we will at least have the XFL to fill our football withdrawals :eek:

westiedog1 and BudJet like this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

You know this can basically just be thrown out the window due to A) small sample size and B) Cousins himself being just one of dozens of factors that went into the overall record. For proof just look at what he uses as a "vs. winning records" comparison Josh McCown 3-4 last season.

There you go as far as statistical irrelevance. If this was last year and we decided that Josh McCown was 1-20 or whatever the hell it was in his last 21 starts would you draw the conclusion that he was never fit to take the field again? Maybe.... but as we saw in 2017 you would have been completely wrong. He came in here and did fantastic. And Cousins will too if given the opportunity.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I really, really do not understand the logic some of you are trying to sell the rest of us. The knock on Cousins is that is not a so called generational QB, and is not wise to invest precious dollars on a team that has multiple needs across the board. Yet the same folks are willing to piss away all the picks to draft a QB in an environment were there isn't an ounce of consensus, and in so doing guaranteeing we will lag painfully behind in sourounding the team with some youth and talent.
    I don't see trading up an option at all. Either we stay pat and draft our QB, and or bring in another vet that can help move the competition along.
    Giving away our first this year and next plus a couple of seconds is absolute madness in my eyes. There is no one that is close to what Luck was talent ready wise IMO. And no I don't think for a second that Darnold is better than Luck.
    We will have to take a chance on a QB and this leadership better do this evaluation properly on what QBs have a shot.

12. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I agree..The last thing I want to do is waste picks which is the heart & soul of building a team. Either sign a QB in FA or Draft one at #6. There
    Isn't a sure thing at QB in this year's Draft worth moving up for. I think this QB group has been over rated & all 4 top QB'S have there ? Marks. Weather it's Mayfield hight, darnold turnovers,
    Allen accuracy, Rosen attitude & durability.

#2332 BudJet, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Pretty much every QB in the draft comes with question marks. The only one I remember who didn't was Luck, and he hasn't lived up to his potential. My favorite is the people who say this year's QBs aren't as good as Goff and Wentz were coming out of college. Funny how they forget people were saying Goff and Wentz weren't as good as Winston and Mariota because Goff came from a spread offense and Wentz from a small school.

boozer32, LAJet, westiedog1 and 2 others like this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I agree with this and I'm not saying you have to add them all in one season. Assuming Cousins is signed, I would expect the Jets to bring some FAs here this year because 1) they have the money 2) they will be heavily invested in a 30 year old QB.

LAJet likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

Well now we are in agreement :)
    I expect we will sign some Free agents regardless of who is the QB. Cousins, Hack, McCown, a Drafted QB or some other FA.
    Regardless of who it is at QB, I just hope the signings are sensible and work out.

westiedog1 and FlaJet like this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I say we go all in. If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly.

Aside from Leonard Williams I don't see anyone on the current roster we need to save $10 mil to pay later.

FJF likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What good is signing Cousins if he can't beat the top echelon teams. The Jets should look somewhere else. Paying this guy 30 million a year to be mediocre is a huge waste of salary cap funds.

westiedog1 and Mainejet like this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

With the strike a given in 2021, why not.
    3 year window before the cap and salaries increase dramatically. Structure the deals with an out after 2 years, third year options and see what happens in 2022.

19. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

The tell tale sign of a truly great QB is one that elevates the level of talent around him when he steps in the huddle. According to various sources and many redskins fans, Kirk Cousins has never done that. Kirk Cousins play could be compared to so many other QB's in league history that were great in beating up on the underachieving teams, teams with a losing record, but consistently laid an egg against teams with a winning record. And really that's the end result of Cousins not being able to elevate the level of talent of the players on the field with him.

Now, I don't care to hear this nonsense about how he was deprived of talent on the Redskins. The Redskins, at this very moment and certainly in 2017 as well, have/had MORE talent than the Jets. As I read through this thread I saw a post that said McCown did great when he came to the Jets and had real talent around him? REALLY?! The Jets record, due in large part to McCown as our QB, had a record of 5-11 in 2017? So what's the damn point you are making? Who gives a shit if the QB puts up decent numbers only to see the team suffer and languish with a losing record? The TEAM is what matters, not the stats of some journeyman QB or otherwise. When it comes to TEAM success when Cousins is leading the way the TEAM does not succeed.

westiedog1 and boozer32 like this.
  20. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This post is so much nonsense that I don't even know where to begin.