Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

did junc come back under a new username? i cant fathom how this shit show could possibly continue without the driving force we know as junc. .

2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That's right! I am talking decades, well, at least one decade, of sustained solid winning football. If I wanted the one year fix, I might be with the "Cousins" side. Maybe none of those teams were built through FA, but certainly many FAs left those teams and other FAs joined during the QBs tenure. Those QBs were able to sustain winning seasons despite changes to the roster.

3. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Well seeing as all of us are onlookers and make no decisions it will be interesting over the next couple weeks to see what the jets decide to do. I doubt the combine will factor to much into it. They are either gonna do it or not. Should be fun to see how it plays out.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Own it I do. I don't give a rat's ass what anyone here thinks of my stance. Yes,teams have to have some luck, but that's very different than what some of these guys are basically advocating, i.e., one's team lucking its way all the way through the playoffs and through the SB, because with only a slightly improved roster, Bowles as the HC and Cousins, that's what it would be imo.

#2304 NCJetsfan, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I still can’t believe this is a thing.

6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This is the most realistic option.

Count out the Jags and Browns for sure. Browns are going to draft a QB and I don’t think Kirk wants to go there. Jags just signed Bortles.

The Cards could jump back in if they trade the honey badger for a pick. I think this is a realistic option for them. They love veteran QBs in the front office over there.

Vikings could offer him a short term deal with a lot of guaranteed money over 2 years but in the end I think they stick with Keenum.

Kirks agent is going to use the Jets to drive up the price on Denver. In the end all the hype will come from us but all we did is drive up the price on the Cards, Vikings and Denver...

Denver is probably his best option in terms of winning. They also drafted a solid LT last year and DT/Sanders have gas in the tank. I think they offer Kirk 5 years 140 mil with 100 guaranteed and sell him that they can win now.

I believe he goes to Denver like Peyton did and they sell him on that too...

twown likes this.
  7. nicg4360

This is a possibility but there is also the possibility of sitting on the 5th pic and drafting Mayfield/Allen. An even more remote possibility is if the Eagles decide to trade Nic Foles. I bet Denver would be heavily involved in that option due to the low cap hit.

As much as Denver looks like the better option than say the Jets....last year they both shared the same losing record. Sure on paper Denver looks great with their good vet players but the result was the same on the field.

#2307 nicg4360, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  8. westiedog1

Absolutely right! But I must say I enjoyed the exchange with you. Go Jets!

Brook! and nicg4360 like this.
  9. nicg4360

As much as I like to post opinions and such and I truly appreciate it when someone calls me out if they have something to say and it's somewhat "constructive criticism" but others are way to serious. The jets are gonna do what the jets do...if it's going to make you so stressed that Kirk cousins becomes a jet maybe you have other issues to deal with. Everyone here has absolutely no power, it is what it is. Sure go verbalize what you want but people need not freak out if you have difference in opinions. Yes I do enjoy jousting with you. Lol.

Brook! likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Darnold is probably the best crunch time QB in this draft. I think he's got the highest upside with Jackson coming in 2nd. Both will need to be coached up for sure, but they have great upside. There is a huge difference between RG3 and Jackson. Jackson has been a football player his entire life, RG3 was a trackstar. They don't play alike.

I look at Rosen, and I see a Matt Ryan / Eli Manning type player. He's much better in the intermediate and short routes. The seam routes is his best throw IMO. Allen is the Joe Flacco / Stafford type I believe, but with more mobility. He will need to be coached up more than anyone else IMO in this draft.

almbleamal and CotcheryFan like this.
  11. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

An eye-opening Kirk Cousins trend that should give Jets pause
    7:00 AM ET

• Rich Cimini
    1. Struggles against top competition: The Jets' anticipated pursuit of Kirk Cousins is a hot-button issue among fans in New York. Should they shell out $30 million a year for the prospective free agent or try to find their quarterback in the draft? Both sides can make compelling arguments, but here's a factoid that might provide some clarity for those on the fence:

During his time with the Washington Redskins, Cousins' starting record against winning teams is 4-19 (based on their opponents' final record).

Yes, 4-19.

Cousins has cleaned up against losing teams (19-9-1) and has fared OK against .500 clubs (3-2), resulting in an overall record of 26-30-1 in the regular season. He is 0-1 in the playoffs.
    The numbers are alarming, to say the least. Of his four victories against winning opponents, only one came in the division -- New York Giants, 2016. All told, he's 1-7 against winning teams in the NFC East.

The man he could replace, Josh McCown, went 3-4 last season versus winning teams -- and he made $18 million less than Cousins.

Cousins supporters can cite excuses for his inability to beat quality opponents -- injuries to his supporting cast, personnel changes, etc. -- but 4-19 is 4-19. His individual statistics jump off the page (three straight 4,000-yard seasons), but those are secondary. A quarterback's job is to win.

The entire article: http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...irk-cousins-trend-that-should-give-jets-pause

12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The common denominator , QB. We don't have one.
    Your argument was that building a team through Free agency is sustainable.
    Adding a free agent or two on occasion does not equate to building through free agency.
    You just validated my point.

13. TonyFtLaud

Denver has a very short window to win, they are the 2015 Jets at best. He won't take a 5 year deal there. 2 makes sense, as he can try for a Super Bowl then get paid much more money as a FA in 2020. Denver is a poor choice if looking for long term winning.

nicg4360 likes this.
  14. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Granted...The wins & losses are what matters when evaluating a team. But when you evaluate just the Qb you have to look at
    What his contributions were. He played well according to stats to be able to say he was a key contributer to the team, win or lose.
    Unless you have all the game tapes to evaluate I can't judge him by wins & losses.

Brady loss to the Eagles in the super bowl, even though he put up great numbers.
    Stat wise is more of a reflection on how well a QB played more than wins & losses
    Like I posted in the past, just this year he put up 30 points against #1 NFL defence...and loss &
    31 points against a good Saints defence...and loss
    Maybe he was the reason for some of the losses, i can't tell, but his stats show he had to be a very consistent
    Player to rack up those kind of #'s . 27td , 13int, over 4,000yds, 66 completion percentage, 95+ qb rating. Over 3 years.
    Granted some stats can be deceiving but you don't throw 27 td passes per year or 66% completion by luck. These stats
    Are an accumulation of a 3 year body of work, not 1 or 2 games garbage time padded stats.

FlaJet and Brook! like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I know the title of the poll is "Your best option if the Jets don't sign Cousins", but it would be interesting to see how many votes "Sign Cousins" gets.

16. TonyFtLaud

It's now the Kirk Cousins mega thread :cool:

Funny thing is, we have 116 pages now as do dozens of other fan forums and no one really knows what teams may even make him an offer, and what the offer will be.
    Mac could be looking in a completely different direction. Jax fans have been having the same discussion for weeks and Bortles is the guy now.
    Can't wait until Cousins signs here,there , anywhere so this topic can die and we can all go back to fighting about something else......o_O

Brook!, westiedog1, nicg4360 and 2 others like this.
  17. westiedog1

The only point I'm trying to make is that the great's were able to sustain winning despite roster changes from season to season. For example: over his tenure Peyton lost key players such as Marshall Faulk, Edgerin James, Pierre Garcon, etc, but the team kept winning because Manning was a generational QB. The same could be said of Favre and Brady. That's the kind of QB I'd like to see on the Jets. Is that type of QB in this draft? I don't know, but there could be. What I do know is that Cousins is not one.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ya maybe.. it depends if he wants to get paid now or later... I think he wants to be wanted and will commit long term somewhere.

The Jets will be used to drive up the price and term.

Btw at 34 when the contract would expire he could still cash in again... look at Alex Smith

19. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, i know, this horse has not only died, and been beaten, we're now comparing recipes for dog food to make with it.

Still, within the discussion so far, I'm curious what is the OVERALL sentiment of the posters here? Is it overwhelmingly "Sign Cousins", or some other option?

20. ColoradoContrails

I agree with you, except I would hedge a bit on the last part: I can's say I KNOW for sure that Cousins won't become a great QB. I don't think he will be, but has he even had one season with the level of talent around him that those generational talents had? What if one of those guys played for the same Washington team Cousins has - would they have become great? Again, my gut says yes, but maybe not.

The point is, no one can be certain of how Cousins - or any of the draftees - will do in different circumstances. But I DO agree 100% that I want a generational QB for a change.

westiedog1 and nicg4360 like this.