Kelly Green, for the × time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Nov 3, 2017.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

But no, seriously.
    Why have the uniforms gradually gotten darker since the original intro of the dark shade in 1998?

The current Nike uni's look straight black in a rain game.

2. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the OP.

That green but with a matching stripe on the arm and the badge. I really like the shiny Logos and stripes on the helmet. I would couple that with the White face mask we had earlier in the season, very clean and crisp. And yes thise with white pants, white socks and white cleats.

3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i remember the jets/titans had gold as a trim color at one time. i would go with kelly green, white , and gold. junk the hunter green. also, change the uniform design. more like what the broncos use with the green , gold, and white instead of blue, orange, and white.

4. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

It doesn't make any difference what uniform they put it - the Jets are still the Jets until proven otherwise. You know that old saying: 'The more it changes, the more it stays the same'.....AFAIC, let them wear the old '68 design...it may do them some good.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see what the Jets' all time record was with each uniform (throw back, etc.).

You need a subscriber account to read it but back in 2011 the New York Times had an article urging the Jets to lose the pickle pants due to their poor record when wearing the green pants.

6-10 once again likes this.
  6. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Wow...for a fan base that salutes the flag and praises the military youd think they would understand that Jets are military weapons and the "army" green color may symbolize that.
    I dont know if the military fighter jet is what the team logo symbolizes for sure but if it doesnt the concept should be rethought.

7. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

See, you're on to something here. I have believed for quite sometime that the "Jets" should have more military and fighter jet themed aspects to the club in general.

I posted something along these lines quite some time back asking "where are the actual jet themes at for the NY Jets?"

Other than running through the inflatable jet at the tunnel and having the "Flight Crew" cheerleaders, there's really no reference to jets. I would like to see a strong push towards more fighter jet themed designs being incorporated. As for the shade of green the, the Swamp Thing green that's currently being used has nothing to do with anything military. It would however actually make sense if the colors were an olive drab green.

Imagine if one of our alternates was OD green with matte OD green helmets and the numbers and names in yellow...
    [​IMG]
    Something like this made into a uniform. Like the old fighter jets.

fansince90 likes this.
  8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

they were kelly green for a reason.

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i liked the unis alot. looked fresh and crisp. not bland and blah like the usual unis. the whole idea is color rush which means its going to be mostly one color. its going to be bright and its not going to be like penn states unis.

we definitely need to go back to the kelly green no matter what happens. but i like those as much as i like the old 80s logo.

iirc we moved to the dookie green because the league wanted the apparel maker at the time to be able to make more jerseys cheaper and having teams with mostly the same colors helped them do that. the jets and eagles both became pretty much the same color green.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Boys, really? I wouldn't have a problem with the Jets taking a more aggressive stance with the name and signage but if you're fans of the team you should be aware of the origin of the name.

After three years as the Titans playing at the Polo Grounds the team was preparing for a move to new Shea Stadium in 1964. Shea was often overflown by planes, which were a lot noisier then, departing from nearby LaGuardia Airport so the name Jets was chosen. The fact that Jets rhymed with Mets, their fellow tenants was a contributing factor to the name selection. I believe the simultaneous change from blue and gold to green and white was simply a case of trying to completely redo the team and its marketing.

11. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I forgot about the Mets part of the name change but not the rest.
    So the Jets are for transportation from point A to point B. A transportation service.. Wow! Is that why our D give up so many touchdowns...lol!
    The military theme would be so much better!

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

No yellow or gold accents. This isn't Green Bay.

joe likes this.
  13. I’m mum on the green itself..prefer the darker variety.I love the chrome helmets though..it screams 2017 & NY style glitz.

I’d like to see a uniform concept that utilizes both of the teams classic logos.The current “original” as it’s placed on the current jersey & a modern rendition of the 78-97 “swoosh” back on the helmets..sharpest helmet on a skill player in football.

donkey likes this.
  14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Wow...for someone who professes to be a (Jet) 'fansince90' you'd think they would know that the team name and color scheme have NOTHING to do with the "praised military" (ref. to their stupid 'flag-saluting' fan base) so the cynical and not-so-thinly-veiled yankee misthanrophy falls a little short here. ;)

Originally called the "Titans" the name Jets came to refer to 1. the "jet age" where commercial airline flights became the order of the day and 2. the team's moving their home from the Polo Grounds to Shea next to LaGuardia airport.

The 'green' color scheme came about when Sonny Werblin's group acquired ownership of the Jets. Werblin relished the fact of having been born on St. Patrick's Day and he changed the Jets' colors to kelly green and white "because they're my colors," he once explained.

When Parcells took over the reins and changed the unis to back to their classic AFL scheme, the kelly green was changed to hunter green but it carried no military connotation with it. Sorry.:(

[​IMG]

#34 joe, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Somehow, watching the Jets play in olive drab just doesn't do it for me..

Freddy Mondo and joe like this.
  16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind a permanent switch to the color rush uniforms

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Actually, the Jets never wore Kelly Green; the closest to that is the Thursday Night horror. The traditional Jets color was somewhere near a Forest green and a Hunter Green - the Namath picture above looks more like Hunter. The current crap is more like Olive Green, Fern Green or Army Green.

Even though every monitor will show them differently here's a pretty good source to show the differences:

https://graf1x.com/shades-of-green-color-palette-html-hex-rgb-code/

#37 Ralebird, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    alleycat9 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I am probably going to get in trouble again, but here goes!

They looked like the Boston Celtics.

The Boston Celtics are a winning organization, so if this brings the Jets luck, why not?

I am partial to the old Jets insignia with an actual Jet on the helmet. Perhaps that could be updated to a more modern fighter Jet look.

19. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

I liked the Titans throwbacks. I guess they’re not coming back though.

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Agreed. Like the scheme but hate the 'green'