Kareem Hunt(Merged)... Sign or not to sign, that is the question!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Mario, Nov 30, 2018.

1. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Let's keep this simple: sign Kareem Hunt ASAP! Would be surprised if they do though, since the Jets management appears to be pussified.

azhar80 and abc like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Own your shit. If you do something like this, I couldn't care less what happens to you. If you're that stupid and myopic to do things that cold have serious, life long consequences because you're not thinking about the consequences, then you deserve whatever you get.

Fiftynine likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Must be hard living the life of an angel :rolleyes:

azhar80 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

I'm going to skip over the insulting tone of your post for those who disagree with you on this, and just say this: if the NFL (and all sports) really followed a ZT policy on this stuff, it would only take a few guys to lose their careers before the rest of the players understood that ZERO TOLERANCE means just that. Turning a blind eye to it, or excusing it only perpetuates it.

azhar80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Nah. Not when you're perfect.:p He breaks into a chorus of "Oh Lord It's Hard To Be Humble (when you're perfect in every way)",

Seriously, I'm certainly not an angel, or perfect, but I DO own the consequences of my actions. Too many athletes get away with not doing that because we worship them. It only encourages them to continue.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, a video won't help you any in your search for a new job. That's why it should be a deterrent, especially for a professional athlete. Forget for a moment that young kids watch them and emulate them. Professional athletes know that there are women who are hangers on, who will try to use them for their money and fame, or will try to bait them into getting them pregnant or hitting them so they can sue (or just threaten to or to go to the police) them and get a lot of money. They have to be smart and protect themselves and their careers. The thing is, this wasn't the first time that Hunt has been involved in a situation like this. It's the second time, and he obviously learned nothing the first time.

On the grand scale it seems lesser, but again, it is his second such situation, and the women could have had broken bones, become paralyzed or even die. It is by luck or the grace of God that she wasn't seriously injured. Would you be defending him if she had broken and arm or shoulder blade, or if she had become paralyzed?

7. NCJetsfan

Who said he should lose his career over this? I just said that I don't want him on the Jets. As far as I know, there are still 31 other teams in the NFL and there's also the CFL.

Maybe you, people you know, or family and friends get into altercations all the time, but I don't, and neither do my family or friends. It's not the human condition for everyone, only for those who do drugs, drink too much, or who have anger issues.

As I pointed out, this woman could have easily suffered a broken bone or two, or even been paralyzed or died when she hit her head on the wall. It was only luck or the grace of God (or perhaps her drunken, physically relaxed state) that kept her from perhaps being seriously injured. Would you still think that Hunt was so innocent and the even so commonplace?

Yes, there are degrees in life, and there is more gray than black and white. Because of the gray, I'm all for giving people a second chance if they are truly repentant, have undergone counseling, done the work, and are actually changed, rather than just claiming they're sorry and then nothing changes. This was Hunt's second such incident. Where was his remorse, change, growth after the first one? Why did this happen again if he was changed? At this point, there is absolutely no reason to think that it won't happen again. I'm more concerned about Hunt and the people he may harm, than I am his playing football.

IMO if anyone is being hypocritical or self righteous it's posters like you who obviously only care about helping the Jets on the field and don't really care one whit about what's best for Hunt or his future. You'd have the Jets sign him and get everything out of him they could and then when it happened again, except more seriously the next time and someone was seriously injured or Hunt wound up going to jail, then you'd just write him off as a human being.

I think Hunt should undergo psychological evaluation, in-depth counseling, and then do some sort of community service helping abused women to show that he is changed and truly repentant before being allowed to play football again. At that point, I would be quite happy for the Jets to sign him. I would also be happy if the Jets signed him, but suspended him for a year or an indefinite time and insured that he got the counseling and help he needs be it education, alcohol rehab or whatever, and then reinstated him. That wouldn't happen however. NFL teams give lip service to helping and rehabilitating players who have made mistakes, but aside from the Jets helping ASJ two years ago, usually one team just cuts them, and then another team takes a chance, signs and plays him, and uses him until they screw up again. Few teams really try to help educate players or help them get the counseling they need.

8. NCJetsfan

Spot on! They do crap like this because they've done it their whole lives and their coaches and schools have turned a blind eye or worse, covered it up, so they could win football games. Athletes are worshiped and treated differently than the general population and they get away with murder. In doing so, schools and teams aren't helping the players or the world in general. If players were truly taught, given life and coping skills, a real education, given counseling beginning in middle school or even elementary school, there wouldn't be the problems by the time they reach adulthood in many, if not most, cases.

azhar80 likes this.
  9. K'OB

Well it isn't his second time is it, the first was a scrap with another man and I don't know the details of that so won't comment on it.

As for role models, the day the league chucks out Brady for cheating and yada yada yada you get the drift, there are a lot of shitheads that are sportsmen, the funny thing is in soccer they are mostly thick as fuck no good for anything else boys in mens bodies, yet you send your guys to college to get a high standard of education or they can't even play ball, yet 25% of them are more interested in getting stoned or pissed, others like that rookie QB breaking into somebodies house and sitting there, wtf man, all that possible cash to earn and they can't stay professional not to smoke dope or get pissed or commit petty crimes or more serious crimes.

Tbf you already should have stopped watching this game if your morals are bleeding.

As for the big what if question - well it was a strange push, he seemed to push his pal who then went into the woman, it is hard to say that was his intent.

10. NCJetsfan

Are you intentionally being obtuse? It IS his second situation like this. It's the second time he got in to a physical altercation with someone. It doesn't matter if the first time was a man or woman.

11. NCJetsfan

I give up. I guess you are dense. It doesn't matter if his intent was to shove his friend. The fact is that in his rage, he did. In fact, it makes it worse because it shows how out of control he was, that he was willing to shove a friend to get at the woman.

12. K'OB

Hey, keep your fucking insults to yourself, no call for them in a conversation and I gave you no reason to turn to insults in your last two posts, everything was polite and now the conversation is over.

13. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Haven't bothered to read the thread, but has the fact hes on the exempt list overlooked any of the idiots gone passed signing this dude?

Jets69 likes this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I dislike his insulting tone but the idea that a zero tolerance policy would end abusive behavior is nonsense. Players may understand what Zero Tolerance means but that doesn't mean it impact their behavior when they are in an agitated state where that understanding is irrelevant. Here in Arizona we have a Zero Tolerance for driving under the influence. I can assure you that people drive under the influence in Arizona.

NY State put in a Zero tolerance policy on drugs and filled the prison system with pot smokers who were in some cases sentenced to life. It didn't stop people in NYS from smoking pot or doing drugs.

When I was in college the drinking age was 18, we drank but binge drinking was almost unheard of. Now binge drinking is happening with underage college students on almost a weekly basis.

I watched the tape, the guy was out of control although he could have done a lot more damage so there was some degree of self control displayed. Breaking a cycle of violence, drug addiction, poor parenting, abusing women, etc., etc., etc., can't be dealt with by "Zero Tolerance". Throwing Hunt out of the NFL will not stop Hunt from abusing women. It may actually make him more dangerous.

The NFL makes a fortune on young athletes. The throw a lot of money at them for a very short period when they are still essentially kids and subject to immature behavior and exploitation. The league has a responsibility to help these young men break the cycle. Zero Tolerance doesn't do that. It simply a PR stunt for the NFL. See no evil, no evil exists.

15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Edit: Tried posting an article from The Athletic but it's not working.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Well he cleared waivers unclaimed so 31 other teams took a pass on him too

17. TonyFtLaud

It's actually his 3rd, 2 this year in Cleveland and he also had a bar fight in KC where the victim suffered a broken rib, broken nose and multiple contusions.
    He's going to be out alot longer then 6 weeks. With the video and everything else coming to light, criminal charges are likely

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Whoa. Hadn't heard of either of the previous incidents. This really confirms that I don't want him. He definitely has a problem and needs help.

19. TonyFtLaud

The bar fight in KC involved our short time RB George Atkinson. What I have heard is They we're out partying and Atkinson started a fight with some guy . Guys friend tried to intervene and Hunt attacked him Haven't seen video yet so how accurate that is I'm not sure but it's his 3rd physical altercation this year. I'm sure video will surface soon.

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

@TonyFtLaud is up on his assaults. Remember when the entire Cincinnati Bengals team could fill a prison? That was a banner year. Or five.